production start dates

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: production start dates  (Read 6473 times)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
production start dates
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:31:10 pm »
Guys, i was just wondering if somone had info in when production started for the 68 models, and when the J-code 302's took over the 289's position. were J codes commonly available in the first half of production? or are early J codes rare?

i ask the question so i can find out a bit more history about my car. its an early december car and i was wondering how hard it'll be to find an early dated engine to retro fit it into my car.

one other thing i am curious about. i have a deluxe marti report which gives me the statistical break down of the 68's for my specific options etc. once it hits the bench seat interior, the numbers drop from thousands, to 8. i know that the bench seat was a rare option and that its not that highly sorted after as a "rarity", but i want to find out the breakdown of a similar car just with the standard buckets to see how how rare the colour combo's are over the entire fleet. is that possible?

Kevin Marti has a book out, "mustangs by the numbers". would it be in that? and is it available at all? i am quite interested in it as i am sure alot of enthusiasts are also...

Ozbuilt, you seem to know Kevin and a hell of alot about the production stuff, you have any insight to this stuff?

(p.s. my marti info is in my sig to see what i am talking about with the stats)

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
production start dates
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:14:05 pm »
Originally posted by tim_morrison82
Guys, i was just wondering if somone had info in when production started for the 68 models, and when the J-code 302's took over the 289's position. were J codes commonly available in the first half of production? or are early J codes rare?

i ask the question so i can find out a bit more history about my car. its an early december car and i was wondering how hard it'll be to find an early dated engine to retro fit it into my car.

one other thing i am curious about. i have a deluxe marti report which gives me the statistical break down of the 68's for my specific options etc. once it hits the bench seat interior, the numbers drop from thousands, to 8. i know that the bench seat was a rare option and that its not that highly sorted after as a "rarity", but i want to find out the breakdown of a similar car just with the standard buckets to see how how rare the colour combo's are over the entire fleet. is that possible?

Kevin Marti has a book out, "mustangs by the numbers". would it be in that? and is it available at all? i am quite interested in it as i am sure alot of enthusiasts are also...

Ozbuilt, you seem to know Kevin and a hell of alot about the production stuff, you have any insight to this stuff?

(p.s. my marti info is in my sig to see what i am talking about with the stats)

So your car's VIN would be around the 127500 range.

Production usually started August 20 of the year preceding the model (ie; Aug 67 for the 68 model year) after a few days of "pre production" to make sure the line would run smooth & the workers trained for the new model. Very stressful time for management!

To give you an idea of the "rarity" of the J code engine, consider this; 317,411 Mustangs built for 1968. In Tim's coupe breakdown Kevin states 317,423 Mustangs built for that year (The other 12 missing from these numbers could be recent discoveries or he was counting the pre production cars).

5,108 J codes were coupled to a 3 speed, 8,003 to a 4 speed wide ratio, 25,312 to a C4 auto.

28,073 C codes were coupled to a 3 speed, 3,857 to a 4 speed wide ratio, 1 to a 4 speed close ratio, 139,808 to a C4.

Of those 249,448 were hardtops.

2,847 J code hardtops were 3 speeds, 2,851 were 4 speed wide ratio, 15,985 were C4.

22,230 C code hardtops were 3 speeds, 2,200 were 4 speed wide ratio, 1 was 4 speed close ratio, 114,968 were C4.

There was no 4 bbl 289 (A code or K code) for that year, the 302 4 bbl (J code) had replaced them.

However the F code (302 2 bbl) is the rare engine for that year with only 1 fitted to a coupe with a 3 speed (1 to a fastback & 0 for convert) & 1 to a coupe with a 4 speed wide ratio (0 to fastback & 0 to convertible). None were produced mated to a C4.

Wimbleton White 68 hartop with Parchment coloured.....
Standard buckets              2U - 427
Decor bucket knitted         5U - 12,
Decor bucket                     6U - 40,
Standard bucket knitted   7U - 27,
Standard bench                8U - 48
Decor bench knitted          9U - 10

I believe Kevin's book "Mustang by the Numbers (1967-1973)" has been updated as he gave me mine in 1999. I will ask when I talk with him next.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
production start dates
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:28:50 pm »
Hey folks, isnt it just great to have our very own wikipedia on anything Mustang. :(
Thanks Kerry for all your info.
cheers
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
production start dates
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »
Originally posted by nassi
Hey folks, isnt it just great to have our very own wikipedia on anything Mustang. :(
cheers

How about someone that cannot stand TV. :_

Unless Motorsport or the Cricket is on....:(

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
production start dates
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:07:33 am »
Originally posted by ozbilt
Originally posted by nassi
cheers

How about someone that cannot stand TV. :_

Unless Motorsport or the Cricket is on....:(

Looks like we share the same TV:+
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
production start dates
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:28:02 am »
awesome Kerry! exactly what i was after!

i am keen to get my hands on that book .even an old copy. i am guessing there is not too many around.

my Vin is actually 117000 rounded up to the nearest 500, but i think there may have been some industrial acction in late 67 that held production up some time... could explain the earlier than expected vin for a later date. about 3 weeks different?

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
production start dates
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:32:46 am »
awesome Kerry! exactly what i was after!

i am keen to get my hands on that book .even an old copy. i am guessing there is not too many around.

my Vin is actually 117000 rounded up to the nearest 500, but i think there may have been some industrial acction in late 67 that held production up some time... could explain the earlier than expected vin for a later date. about 3 weeks different?

Book is still available from Kevin, lots of other books available also.

https://www.martiauto.com/itemselection.cfm?selecteditem=yes?cftoken=092012092012&id=690

The Marti Auto Works website

http://www.martiauto.com/

This may come as news to a lot of people, but Kevin is actually a Cougar enthusiast, he loves them. When we first met the family at SAAC 17 in Portland OR back in 1992, he had a 67 Cougar that he had turned into a convertible using 67 Mustang convet top etc. The car was date coded correct for all its parts & had every accessory available for that model year including a Philco TV! I believe he still owns that car today.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
production start dates
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:23:05 am »

You are spot on with the labour problem as there was a major strike that had an enormous effect on Ford & the Mustang. Good info here.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/im/mustangs68/fo-uaw.html

That accounts to why your car's VIN is so far out for the build date.