GT 500 Overhaul

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: GT 500 Overhaul  (Read 13141 times)

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« on: July 15, 2005, 10:56:37 pm »
Started work in earnest on the car this week. It took six hours to get the extractors out! (Yes - that is a header on the floor, we were trial fitting it as thinking of reinstating the factory exhaust system)

Work that is about to be undertaken includes brake overhaul, carbi rebuild, front suspension rebuild, and I've got to do something about the steering...

The most pressing question is... where can I purchase parts? I've found plenty of US based web sites, but who are the good reliable parts suppliers in Australia for items such as suspension components, brake rotors, caliper kits etc etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 09:34:36 pm »
Don't all speak up at once!

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 09:41:52 pm »
Sorry, just a bit awestruck at seeing a GT500, let alone one in bits.
I havnt bought parts for something like that, but cant go past Mark Dixon at "Capital Classics". I'm sure there are others though.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 09:23:12 am »
Thanks.

I purchased some gear from East Coast Mustangs this week, which was delivered the next day - great service.

Hoppers Stoppers have been sent the calipers and booster to overhaul, and are sourcing new rotors. I've used them for my early Holden gear before, and they are great.

RRS are providing a power rack and pinion steering conversion. I'm only considering this as the car has already been converted to RHD, and to be frank, in a truly appauling way. I have never seen such butchery in cutting and shaping penetrations in sheet metal before, let alone in a vehicle of this calibre! (Long term plan is for a conversion back to LHD ie factory specs)

I've also decided to service the Top loader and starter motor, as they are out and it is convenient, and I'm having a new tailshaft made up to replace the square one that we found upon attempting to balance it!

Task for this week is to source a power steering bracket, pump and pulley arrangement for a 427 FE motor. Any advice or photos of an FE series big block with PS intalled would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:07:35 am »
I know what you mean about the quality of some conversions. Beats me how they get out of the shop let alone over the pits.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:00 am »
Hey

Im in the middle of locating someone that isnt too tied up that can do a good conversion on my car. I have posted a topic titled "LHD-RHD conversion please" and it seem to ruffle a few feathers because i retold my dealing with one of the more busy conversion guys.  SO TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!

Most are ok, but if possible try to use someone that can show you the back of an unpicked dash that has been converted. The Welds should be neat, clean and silverish colour welds, not black or purple, and free from patches and braces to hold the joins together. This is just a small detail but cleaness in one area normally is telling of the entire job. Oh and another thing, they should be interested in Mustangs too. It helps!
They are out there, you just have to shop around.

As far as the Suspension components, Try Pedders, they can fit and get the whole thing steering nicely for a very decent price. They also have a guarantee and a name to uphold so you would hope they do a decent job.  The smaller guys like East Coast Mustang, Lillydale, and Mustang Autoparts in QLD have also been very helpful. Give them a go too.
Regards
Daniel

Offline Hally

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 05:11:15 pm »
Daniel,

I read your string about get your car converted. Have you found someone as yet?

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 01:48:58 pm »
Andrew

I have found a few guys that i have short-listed. When you investigate there is some good work going on.  This forum has been invaluable in finding them as most dont advertise.  Barry Reynolds and Rickies Restorations are all quality, they seem to be all about quality work.  John Taverna is next on the investigation list.  I found some really shonky work going on at some other places. The thing is their dodgy work sticks out like dogs nuts if you get under the dash and have a look.

GT500
I hear Hoppers Stoppers do conversions too.  Is that true?  
By the way, awestruck by your GT500, GT500. WOW!
Why are you going back to the factory exhaust manifold?

Daniel

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 08:12:18 am »
Daniel,

I believe Hoppers Stoppers do provide conversion kits for Mustangs - and just about everything else! Speak to Ken McLean - he's both knowlegable and helpful. A "one-day-it'll-be-finished" project of mine is a V8 powered FC Holden, which Hoppers have been most helpful in providing advice and modified parts for over recent months.

As for the extractor vs factory manifold question, it stems back to a recent incident where I blew an exhaust gasket out between the head and the extractor flange.

Investigation found that there were actually very few bolts holding the extractors onto the head, and therefore the problem was likely to arise again. The extractors appear to be custom made, not an off the shelf item, so they weren't all that well sorted.

Notwithstanding the lack of bolts, it took two of us six hours to remove the extractors from the car - I still have the cuts and grazes to show for my troubles.

The other problem with the exhaust had been the heat generated and transfered to the cabin, due to the proximity of the pipes to just about everything. The casing of the speedo cable had melted, the dip switch would give you a welt on a bare foot, the steering column used to get hot through transfer from the steering box, the pipes vibrated off the clutch slave cylinder...etc etc. The single pipe exit of the manifold shall hopefully alleviate that problem. I shall also be coating the manifolds and engine pipes in "Jet Hot" or similar as the finish promises significant decrease in engine bay temps.

As the current work is all about safety and self preservation, I thought the minor drop in horsepower by using the cast iron headers was a small price to pay. After all, the car runs a healthy 427 side oiler, and to date, I haven't even been able to get the secondaries to open up, without severe clutch slippage and/or traction loss.

Here's a photo of the car taken at Canberra during Summernats earlier this year.

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 08:20:33 am »
Here are the reconditioned carburettors. Excuse the Stromberg - it's for a Holden!

Offline charlie66

• Thoroughbred
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 01:52:34 pm »
going back to the conversion question, I saw an episode of 'crusin' a petrol heads car show on a local channel here in perth 'access 31' where they spent a bit of time talking to john taverna and showed some of the mustangs he was working on, he explained conversion process including the dash modifications and also to ensure a clean job both inside and out otherwise you will end up with a dash full of bog. He does some quite impressive stuff and i think he was the one who helped gary myers with his mustang. he also is a mustang enthusiast owning a 67 fastback himself

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 01:57:37 pm »
The 67' Fastback you are talking about is yellow. It was up for sale at this year Shannon's Motor Show auction and was passed in for 55k
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 02:08:11 pm »
The Shannons site lists it as "Sold" - $47K.

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 11:48:21 am »
I'll be getting over to John Tavernas place soon to have a snoop around and see his work. I've acutally heard of him doing good stuff for years.  Must be honest though, Im trying to convince myself that i dont need it RHD. Who did yours GT500?

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 10:40:38 pm »
According to information provided by previous owners, my car was converted around 1970.

From a mechanical and structural point of view it was adequate, however cosmetically it leaves a lot to be desired.

I was tempted to have the firewall redone, however it shall do for the time being.

The work that is being undertaking currently is to enable the car to be safe and enjoyable to drive.

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 10:17:17 am »
I paid John Taverna Chassis a visit last week and found that he also does a professional conversion. However, he seems to do it in a Resto-Mod type job. He cuts out the firewall, replaces it with a fabricated 1 piece job he makes up on site, the finish is a much smoother looking firewall. Perhaps too smooth. The lower edge join, seems a little unfinished. Only really noticeable from under the car. But to the picky owner this isnt desired. This way would be easier, and stronger and more durable.

He uses a Vintage Air air conditioner. which means the water and gas inlets on the fire wall are hard up agains the inner fender skirt. Not anywhere near original either. Still a professional neat looking execution.
Uses a XD-F powersteering box, all intergrated so away with the ram style.
Drag link is cut-and-shut i think....not too sure.
He has a black 69 there with A/C which looks almost finished however couldnt see any of his dash work though on a 67-8. He charges $6k + $1k for A/C. The good thing about it was he uses all new powersteering box, new a/c compressor, new brake lines. The whole bit and doesnt mess around with second hand units. I guess though the unoriginal looking firewall is my biggest problem its just looked too out of place for a 68 Mustang for my liking. Resto-moders should check him out though. Another good thing, his waiting list is only 6-8 weeks, everywhere else is saying 6-8 months before they can start.

Offline GT500

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 04:19:55 pm »
Finally got it back together, all the gremlims were sorted, so we hit the road...

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 10:21:12 pm »
Very nice, and the company your keeping is nice as well.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 06:33:23 pm »
How was this project going?

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 05:01:29 pm »
How was this project going? ...anyone?

Offline 68Shelby

• Pony
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 07:08:16 am »
I think this is the same car

http://www.oldtimercentre.com.au/car14.html

Looks like its 4 sale and finished.
67 K code Fastback, 1 of 205 with a close ratio 4 speed

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:05 am »
An achingly gorgeous car !

Wish I had a spare 250 large.

;_http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/images/smilies/fantastic.gif
;_

Cheers.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 11:44:54 am »
What an amazing car. If I didn't have kids,a wife and a house,I could afford that!
Bob

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
GT 500 Overhaul
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
Tis very nice, good to see it finished..