Great stripes

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Great stripes  (Read 6820 times)

Offline 67coupe

• Stallion
Great stripes
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:18:26 pm »
Finally got off my arse and took some half decent photos.

Nice sunny day in Syd, and no mustang events on, so decided to head off to the city.

Don't know if anyones experienced this, but I had no issues on the drive to the city, but on the drive back she didn't want to go. She kept stalling when idling or rolling along not giving it any, thinking it  might be a possible fuel flow issue or something along those lines? On the highway all was fine, but in stop start situations it was a bit of touch and go.

cheers

Chris

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Great stripes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:54:09 pm »
Yep, could be a heat (vapour lock) or fuel flow issue.

Check the fuel line running up the front of the engine is not getting hot by touching the block, that would cause a vapour lock.

Next would be if you have a Holley on it & has a screw in filter attached to the intake of the carb. We punch a hole throught that filter as they clog up easily. Put a glass or see thru filter in the line before the fuel pump. Third thing would be a weak fuel pump, but the fact that it ran well into the city but not back tells me it is heat related.

Nice pics, I like the stripe choice, very vintage sixties racing. Now needs side pipes "a la Trans Am"!!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Great stripes
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:56:26 pm »
IMHO the front license plate would look cool on the spoiler.

Offline 67coupe

• Stallion
Great stripes
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:10:40 pm »

Thanks for the info Kerry, it does have a holley so i guess thats a good starting point.

If definitely does have the trans am styling!

Is there a way to stick the plate on without drilling, thats why  its in its current position. No drilling needed...

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
Great stripes
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 05:15:37 pm »
Very very nice 67coupe!
Should have given me a call, I'm up for a drive with fellow stangers anyday!!

Do you have any more pics of your interior?....especially the seats.
I'd like a closer look at them.

Offline Brent

• Worked
Great stripes
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:08:32 pm »
Originally posted by ozbilt
IMHO the front license plate would look cool on the spoiler.  

Ditto, dont like the plate, love the car especially your choice of stripes.;};};}
429,C6,MSD, Pertronix coil, Flowmaster, 59K, Griffin radiator, thermo fan, oil coolers. Twice USA magazine featured.

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
Great stripes
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:20:38 pm »
Fantastic Finish,

A great looking car. Any pics of the engine?
Many hard hours have gone into getting that car to that stage.  :(:(:(:(

Offline 67coupe

• Stallion
Great stripes
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:23:18 am »
Hahaha well it seems as though the consensus is plate on the spoiler... I'll figure something out.

Hey Stanglover, would of loved to have some company. I really don't know any mustang owners around my area, so usually its a loner drive for me... I have some old photos of the interior, I can get some more if you like...

Thanks for the kind words Thirsty, I have some old photos of the engine bay to. Should have take some on that day, was nice and sunny, I'll see if I can take some more later...

Cheers

Chris

Also...

I know this might be a dumb question, but for mustang noobs like me, who aren’t really that technical when it comes to motors etc, is there some mustang appreciation course or motor maintenance course available... I think that an understanding of the basics, such as oil changing etc would boost the confidence of people like myself, and its something that can be passed down to the younger generations also....

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
Great stripes
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:43:17 am »
Originally posted by 67coupe

Also...

I know this might be a dumb question, but for mustang noobs like me, who aren’t really that technical when it comes to motors etc, is there some mustang appreciation course or motor maintenance course available... I think that an understanding of the basics, such as oil changing etc would boost the confidence of people like myself, and its something that can be passed down to the younger generations also....

my "mustang appreciation course" was spending some time with Ozbilt and then later MustangNut ;2 and reading all MO's links :+
 no really, best way is to try and catch up with some in the know about these car's and then i go and look at my car when someone post's up a problem and watch for the guru's to answer the problem. Just remember no question is a dumb question on here as others are learning to :( and mistakes are learning experiences.

Offline 67coupe

• Stallion
Great stripes
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:29 am »

Yeah thats so true jusTANG...

Those three seriously need to sit down together and write a book or manual or something... haha :o

I have plenty more dumb questions to come... glad this forum is so understanding!

:+

Offline LUCY066

• Pony
Great stripes
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:29:30 pm »
:{hi chris my name is ron, rochelle told me that she gave u my email name if u want 2 contact me please do so, if u have lost it rochelle will give it 2 u i bought lucy from them,iam also getting a 69/ mach 1 restored by them now hope 2 hear from u soon  regards  ron

Offline RoKev

• Stallion
Great stripes
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:52:46 am »
Hey Chris,

Glad to see you got the car out on the road, it looks great in the pics:f. As for the running issue, I have some thoughts. When I tuned it last winter it was running great but now the weather is much warmer, so it may need some minor adjustments. I don't know if you want to tackle this yourself or not.

I set up the mixture and timing so that it would start easily in the cold weather so the mixture may be too rich now that it is summer. When the ambient air temperature is cool the air going into the engine is more dense and requires a bit more fuel to run at it's best, now with warmer, less dense air the engine will require less fuel. This will be most apparent at idle and just off a stop when you first put the pedal down. The engine may be loading up with (running rich) petrol. Also the float levels may be a bit too high. Welcome to the world of carbed engines.

Adjusting the idle mixture only requires a flat blade screwdriver and a steady hand. If you want to email me or Rochelle, I can walk you through it. Beyond that things get a little more complicated i.e. timing and float adjustments. I will help with whatever I can.

Heat could be a factor, but it has an electric fuel pump which should keep up with the engines demands and hopefully help prevent vapor lock. One way to check for fuel flow is too look at the fuel pressure gauge I mounted on the fuel line next to the carby, you may have to remove the air cleaner to see it clearly. It should read between 4 and 7 PSI, if not, the regulator may need adjustment which is next to the fuel pump (below the washer fluid bag). This requires a spanner and an allen key to adjust, you must loosen the lock nut and adjust the screw. I can send photos of anything you need to use as a reference. This should not be an issue but it is also something to look at.

Also check under the grille, I fabricated an aluminium bracket to hold the front number plate. I left a comment about this on the tech forum post you made.

Later,
Kevin