Chemical strip or Blast?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Chemical strip or Blast?  (Read 5193 times)

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
Chemical strip or Blast?
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:46:21 am »
Hi

I am in the process of removing whats left of the paint and panel surface rust from my sunbaked 68 Fastback and I am receiving a lot of conflicting viewpoints about the best way to go about it.

I have been told that low pressure Garnet blasting is a good way to get paint off any Automotive part, including panels, roof, bonnet, doors...everything, without heating and buckling or warping panels. (I'm dubious about that claim)
Im also being told that chemical stripping is far better as it doesnt warp steel, but I know it can leave a residue and is very messy.  I still prefer the sound of chemical stripper as it seems far gentler on the panels, and runs no risk of damaging panels.

Can anyone add to this discussion?
Thanks!
Daniel

Offline Peter

• Pony
Chemical strip or Blast?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:10:00 pm »
G'day Daniel

Always a pleasure to help a fellow '68 Fastback restorer.  Speaking from my own experience, I considered both options but finally decided on low pressure sand blasting of all the panels e.g. boot, fenders, bonnet, doors etc etc.  

The rest of the shell I did by hand.

Just a word of warning when you are doing the doors.  The inside door panels have a textured surface, if you want to keep this be very gentle

Mine's now painted (Acapulco Blue) and I am currently in the process of put it all back together - so if I can help in anyway please let me know

:)

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Chemical strip or Blast?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 08:50:46 pm »
Hi Daniel, if possible get it soda blasted, this is like sandblasting but they use baking soda and being soluable you dont have an issue with the residue. When this wasnt available i had my bonnet and boot blasted with plastic media. I have also had a car blasted with garnet, if the operator knows his stuff there isnt a problem.
Have also had good results with chemical strippers followed up with "Rolock" (not sure of spelling), its like a big scotchbrite fitted to an 8 inch sander. Keep it moving or the heat generated will cause trouble. This will polish bring the metal up nice and clean.
Just my 2 bobs worth.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline charlie66

• Thoroughbred
Chemical strip or Blast?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 01:19:13 pm »
when my 66 was done, the body was stripped using chemicals and elbow grease except for the interior of the doors which were blasted to get the paint out of the texture.
I suppose either way would be good as long as the operator knows what they are doing.

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
Chemical strip or Blast?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 11:19:38 am »
Thanks Guys!

Daniel

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
Chemical strip or Blast?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 11:42:48 am »
Hi yall
Ive embarked on a plastic blasting journey. The guy that does it says that if there is any damage he will pay to rectify the problem. Cant beat that I say.
I cant seem to find anyone that does soda blasting. Also I hear it cant remove surface rust which my car has a fair share of being sitting in a shed with rat and bird poop all over it for the past 13 years .  Fingers crossed...
TBC in a few weeks
Daniel

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Chemical strip or Blast?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 08:22:30 pm »
I agree, its hard to find someone who does it and it can remove surface rust. Unless the shop changed mediums without my knowledge. It wont remove bog though.
Good luck with the plastic media, I'm sure it will be excellent.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100