A1 GP on the Goldie

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: A1 GP on the Goldie  (Read 8717 times)

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:38 pm »
Got this email from the Corvette guy's and anyone with a soft top interested follow the prompts.

Hi fellow Car Enthusiasts,

Sandy and I will be organising the Parade Laps again on Sat 24th & Sun 25th of October under Raceline Events on the Gold Coast but it will be for the A1 Super GP not Indy this year.

I have attached the Costs, Entry Forms & Regulations from Raceline, please pass onto whoever you think would be interested in attending.  Vehicles to be Convertibles only, at this stage.

Saturday we do need 11 Fords & 18 Chevys.  Sunday vehicles will be the first to enter / As all cars from Saturday are not needed for the Sunday Parade.

I will be away from October 1st to 19th so if you need any more information please contact me before then or talk to Ian from Raceline anytime.  All contact numbers are below.

Regards,
Brad Stumer

Mob: 0414 730 833 / Fax: 07 3803 5917 / email: bradstumer@gmail.com

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »
Latest info for anyone that may be interested.

Hi Car Enthusiasts,

THE BRAD & IAN DRIVER'S PARADE 2009 STIMULIS PACKAGE

ALL PAID UP DRIVER PARADE ENTRANTS WILL RECEIVE 1 EXTRA FREE 4 DAY PASS
PLUS ALSO 1 PIT PASS & A SURF CITY GARAGE EVENT T-SHIRT & CAP.

Also James from Surf City Garage Australia will be at the parking area supplying their car care products for us to use so our rides look good on those Parade Laps.  
Check out their website / www.surfcitygarage.com.au.

Regards,
Brad Stumer
Mob: 0414 730 833 / Fax: 07 3803 5917 / email: bradstumer@gmail.com

Ian
RACELINE EVENTS
www.racelineevents.com
myspace.com/racelineevents
ph 07 55378255
fax 07 55372781

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:05:00 pm »
Email from Bowdens..
Bowden’s Own Premium Car Care has come together with some of Australia’s motorsport greats to mark the next phase of one of the world’s most spectacular motorsport festivals. The Bowden family owns Australia’s greatest private collection of muscle, racing and touring cars. They will send ten of their most famous Championship and former Bathurst winning racing cars from their headquarters in Buderim to the Nikon SuperGP pits, previously reserved for the A1GP cars. Minister Reeves said we need to put the A1GP situation behind us, re-group and put on the best show possible for the fans and television viewers. “In a very short period of time we have managed to secure some of the greatest names and cars in Australian motorsport history to compete on the streets of the Gold Coast next weekend. With some of these legendary cars and the magical V8 Supercars we have an amazing celebration of Australian motorsport.” Minister Reeves said.
The ten cars that will be put on the back of a transporter and driven down to Surfers Paradise this week are Allan Moffat’s ‘69 Mustang and ‘71 GTHO Phase 3, Beechey’s ’70 HT GTS 350 Monaro, Geoghegan’s ’71 GTHO Super Falcon, Peter Brock’s ‘78 A9X and VL Commodore, Kevin Bartlett’s ‘79 Camaro, Dick Johnson’s ‘81 Tru Blu XD Falcon and ‘84 Greens Tuf XE Falcon, and Jim Richards ‘85 JPS 635 BMW.  Dan Bowden, owner of Bowden’s Own Premium Car Care said as a proud Australian and a motorsport fanatic, he was delighted his family and company could provide assistance and support such a great motor racing event in their home state. “This is the biggest local event on the motor racing calendar and, as a Queensland owned motor industry company, we are thrilled that we can play a part in ensuring the Nikon SuperGP upholds it’s status as an entertaining and fun-filled event as it always has been.” Dan said.
Some of the great names that will be making a special guest appearance and driving these racing legends around the Surfers Paradise track include Dick Johnson, Kevin Bartlett, John French, Glenn Seton and Colin Bond with more to be announced in the coming days. “To have names like Johnson, Bartlett, Seton and Bond sitting in pit lane beside modern day heroes like Whincup, Tander, Lowndes and Ingall is going to be fantastic and more than a suitable replacement for the former category.” Minister Reeves said.
The ten Bowden’s Own cars that will be taken to Gold Coast this week luckily were in complete working order due to a recent event held at the Bowden’s Own headquarters where close to 30 of their cars were started up for 50 motor racing history fans in a technical tour of their collection. “We were able to work with the Minister and event organizers to pull this all together at such short notice only due to the fact we held our first Sound Tour event only a couple weeks ago where several of our mechanics worked day and night to get all the cars running smoothly. If it wasn’t for that event, I am not sure if we would have been able to get the cars ready in time to run around the track at close to race speeds.” Dan said.
The Australian Legends category will be on track all four days of the event that will be headed by event 11 of the V8 Supercar Series and also includes the Australian Mini Challenge, the Australian Formula Ford Championship and Aussie Race Cars.

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:10:09 pm »
This auto censor needs censoring. Either that or castration.
Dick Johnson is a legend not to be asterisked out come on get real;x:{:[

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:30 pm »
It sounds like Rick but with a one letter change.;3

Offline moose17

• Thoroughbred
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 11:08:21 am »
its great to see such of collection of cars out and not just stuck in sheds ,
congratulations to the guys from Bowdens, they are defiently a Australian company we should support

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »
I have heard that the A1GP has been cancelled this year.

Any Truth in this?

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:09 am »
The A1 cars have been canned.(where they belong)
V8s are doubling up with I think 2 races each day.

Offline fenderslash

• Thoroughbred
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:31:51 am »
They really need to get back into negotiations to get the Indycars back. I know that it's been said so many times that people only go there to see the V8s anyway, but that can't be true because from what I've heard the accommodation bookings were way down on previous years even before the latest A1GP fiasco came out in the open. The US series, no matter whether it was CART or IRL, and no matter whether the mainstream punters knew the drivers or not, really did take the event to another level of fun and excitement.

How do the people on this forum who have tickets to this year's event feel about it becoming a V8-only show? I think if I had spent considerably more than a normal V8 round on tickets I'd be expecting considerably more than just V8s for my dollar. I know a refund is on offer but that's not always practical for people who have also booked plane tickets and accommodation.

For my part, I used to go there each year in the mid to late nineties (the Zanardi era), and it was an absolutely AWESOME weekend every time, both on-track and off-track. This year's local (for me) Townsville V8 round came close as a really fun weekend-long community event, but at considerably less cost than a grandstand seat at Surfers.

My baby...  1965 Mustang 2+2; C-code 289 (with 4bbl Holley); C4 auto; Rangoon Red

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 06:25:49 pm »
Did anybody buy tickets? Personally as soon as it was said the A1GP was involved, it was a turn off. The series in the past has been less interesting than watch two flys go at it.
Why on earth would anyone waste time and money (good money) on a second rate series that hardly gets a mention in any media.
I know guys who regularly attend but have held back this year and were going to wait for the discounted hotel rates just to carry on the party.
The V8s are good but this is not a spectator friendly track.
For mine Bathurst is the best race and track and with the close proximity of dates the Coast weekend is tv viewing even though it is only an hour away.

Offline fatso1

• Worked
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:37:13 pm »
I live on the goldie and from what i have heard all predictions are it is still going to be a great weekend. Who goes for the racing hell i have been the last ten years and could not tell you who has one the atmosphere is great plenty to lookand see with the background noise of fast cars and burning rubber. They are saying there is bugger all accomodation avail on the local news tonight. As of yesterday had only given out a handful of refunds. All in all it is great to go and have a look at $35 on thurs for adults and free for kids under 12 im takin my oldest whos 4 down tommorow for a look around. The weather is going to be great for the next 4 days yee ha!;2

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 07:42:10 pm »
Bit what is the cost on Sunday?
Nearly what we pay for four days down at the Mt.
Bang for buck,,,, not for me.

Offline fatso1

• Worked
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 07:46:35 pm »
$105 for sunday  i know thats bull but $35 for thurs and a good day cant beat that!

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »
One convertible required for Sunday parade lap.
Tickets and paddock pass for your trouble.
Anyone interested call Brad on 0414730833 asap.

Offline johnny_b

• Worked
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
Originally posted by fenderslash
They really need to get back into negotiations to get the Indycars back. I know that it's been said so many times that people only go there to see the V8s anyway, but that can't be true because from what I've heard the accommodation bookings were way down on previous years even before the latest A1GP fiasco came out in the open. The US series, no matter whether it was CART or IRL, and no matter whether the mainstream punters knew the drivers or not, really did take the event to another level of fun and excitement.

How do the people on this forum who have tickets to this year's event feel about it becoming a V8-only show? I think if I had spent considerably more than a normal V8 round on tickets I'd be expecting considerably more than just V8s for my dollar. I know a refund is on offer but that's not always practical for people who have also booked plane tickets and accommodation.

For my part, I used to go there each year in the mid to late nineties (the Zanardi era), and it was an absolutely AWESOME weekend every time, both on-track and off-track. This year's local (for me) Townsville V8 round came close as a really fun weekend-long community event, but at considerably less cost than a grandstand seat at Surfers.

I think the majority of us Aussies are more familiar with the names  Johnson, Tander, Lowndes and Brock rather than your  Andretties and Zinardis.
V8 Supercars + Beer = Top weekend :(
Real AUSSIES use a Knife and Fork.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 11:33:24 pm »
I will be there on the weekend. It is a shame about the A1 cars because you don't forget the sound and speed of these cars but the V8 cars aren't much off the pace pace around the Surfers track. The atmoshere is great with the sound bouncing of the buildings. Much more exciting than a track. I happen to be at Bowdens on the weekend with Dan, Chris & David Bowden, and they were in a spin getting the cars ready but excited to run all these great cars. I was watching them work on Brockys 78 A9X replacing a head with a broken rocked mount to have it running for the weekend. To see all these cars, especially the Super Falcon & Moffat's Mustang running at full noise will be my pick for the weekend. These cars are such valuable assets that you may not get the chance to see them (and some of the original drivers too) out on a race track. After the A1GP stuff up you may not see another Gold Coast race weekend too so I'm going to soak it all up while it lasts.
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline fenderslash

• Thoroughbred
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 08:26:34 am »
Originally posted by johnny_b
I think the majority of us Aussies are more familiar with the names  Johnson, Tander, Lowndes and Brock rather than your  Andretties and Zinardis.
V8 Supercars + Beer = Top weekend :(

Yeah, I totally agree. But the point I was making was that the Indycars made this event something special and different compared to a normal V8 round. They still generated a lot of extra anticipation and excitement among the general public, even if they didn't know the names or follow the series on TV.

Following on from that, there would have to be a downturn of non-locals such as myself travelling to the event in future years. From my own perspective, if it was V8s + Indy I would make the effort to travel from Townsville like I have done in the past. If it's V8s-only I may as well just stick to my local Townsville V8 round.

Really glad to see on the news that there's a late rush for tickets too. I really hope this event survives because it truely is an awesome weekend.

My baby...  1965 Mustang 2+2; C-code 289 (with 4bbl Holley); C4 auto; Rangoon Red

Offline fatso1

• Worked
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »
Wow that mustang is unreal the sound it roaring down the back straight was unreal. the aussie classics were worth checking out the gp for there track time alone. The superchargered army landcruiser 6 wheeler doing massive burnouts was pretty cool too. All in all a good day!

Offline Camaro91

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW member 302 ... since 2001
A1 GP on the Goldie
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 09:23:30 pm »
Oh what a bugger, I just happen to arrive on the Gold Coast today - honestly, I was not aware the Indy cars were on this weekend.  I arrive only to find they have been cancelled and we are left with Bowden's display of cars and V8 racing.  Personally, I think that is a winner!

I will be trying to get to the event now that I know it's on and can only say it is a bonus after scoring $59 flights up and back to Sydney.  Who says we have it tough?

I am in Robina just now and have seen a few Mustangs in the area but am sure there will be a few more to be seen over the next two days.  Photo shoot opportunities are sure to be available.

Bring it on.