windshield and door weatherstrip trim

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: windshield and door weatherstrip trim  (Read 2076 times)

Offline jlewis

• Thoroughbred
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:35 pm »
This one is a bit of a two-parter.  I was trying to figure out why my windshield trim seemed to have too much space between itself and the bonnet on my '66, and at the same time discovered that the weatherstrip bracket adjacent to it has a strange detail to it.  Does anyone have closeups of their door where the vent window meets the windshield, or know of which surrounding trim the weatherstrip mount should follow?
And for the follow up, can anyone suggest the best method for securing the windshield trim, as the attached clips do not seem to be doing their job.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:22:22 pm »
Take a pic of the problem area & post it here & we can pick what is wrong. If you cannot post a pic, just send it to my email address & I will post it.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:23:38 pm »

Offline jlewis

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:27:42 pm »
Thanks Mo.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »
You most likely need new clips for the windscreen moulds, I (and any other mustang place) will have them in stock. Make sure there is the studs in the panel for the clip to attach to.

I can't see what is wrong with the pillar?
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »
It's a bit hard to tell, but the lower horizontal stainless finisher seems to be sitting on top of the rubber windscreen seal, instead of forward of the seal. If so, that might be what's keeping it up off the scuttle.

If the lower finisher isn't in the correct position, then it forces the side finishers too high.

Offline jlewis

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:04:05 pm »
'66,
Sorry but I am lost with the lingo.  My issue with the weatherstrip mounting track is the arc of it.  When the door is closed, the bottom appears to disappear into the frame.  I never really noticed it before, but now that I have I can't stop (typical obsessive/compulsive :+).

BlkPny,
Not so sure there are any studs there, but I will look this weekend.  The clips look the same as on the pillar trim, and those just tuck under the windshield trim on mine.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:31:04 pm »
The studs are in the panel, the clips are held on the studs, and hold the mould.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline jlewis

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 07:15:24 am »
I'll take a pic this weekend and show you what I've got.

Offline Forder

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:19:51 pm »
I have found that it is better to use your old clips instead on new repo.  Make sure you take the time to retension the clips.

Offline jlewis

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:54:09 am »
I finally had the time to take the trim off completely, and found a number of small clips along the bottom windshield trim, but they are not secured to studs; they are merely pressed firmly into the mastic under the windshield rubber (sorry, no pics, I was doing it in the rain yesterday).  The pillar trim pieces are secured by two screws on the inside of the door frame, and brought reasonably close but not tight to the windshield rubber by one v-shaped metal bracket on each side.  All in all, a rubbish fit.  Not to mention, it seems that under the bottom trim, I have revealed that the cowling is separating in an almost perfect line about 1cm from the windshield.  Not sure what that is all about.  
So, new clips, old clips, leave it alone before it all falls apart,...?
And in a desperate plea for help, can someone please tell me how to get my wipers off when pushing anything inside that supposed release hole does not work?  I have tried so many times with way more pressure than I am happy using that close to a painted surface.

Thanks.

Jeremy.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 11:55:05 am »
Jeremy ,

I put new clips in mine when I replaced the windscreen. If you old clips are not grabbing the pins, then you may need new ones. Repro ones seem OK to me.

On my 70 at least , the wiper arm has a small clip at the base - you need to open that and at the same time pry the arm off. It is not easy. I scratched my paint not long ago. I would mask around there with lots of layers,  as I did so but it went thru one layer of tape !

Cheers,
Frank.