Engine removal '67/427

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Engine removal '67/427  (Read 4114 times)

Offline GT500

• Pony
Engine removal '67/427
« on: July 05, 2005, 10:32:03 pm »
I own a '67 fastback with a 427 that has blown the exhaust gasket out between the head and extractors on one side.

One thing has led to another, and I am contemplating removing the motor from the car to tidy up the engine bay etc.

Having cut my teeth on early Holden's, the Mustang's engine bay is quite daunting, especially with the extractors winding their way out down below.

What is the usual sequence for removing a big block from a '67 ie/ what has to be removed, and what can stay on the motor?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Ed

Offline wowdan_wow

• Pony
Engine removal '67/427
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 01:38:02 pm »
Gday Ed

The weekend just gone I removed a Windsor block from my 68 fastback. Cant compare a small block to a big block really, but as a general guide...

Remove strut braces first, then remove carby  and distributor so they dont get damaged more than for access, and anything else obvious that will get in the way like wiring loom and heater tubes, radiator and surround, power-steering and aircon pump (if fitted). Anything obvious really. Your car has headers and they will need to come off (sorry) as they creep under the firewall, and can damage things on their way out. (highly recommended!)
Oil filter should come off too, then disconnect bell-housing from block and then bolts to torque converter and DISCO...its done. I used the engine hoist from Kennards Hire at $52 per day and got it done in 1. So it was fairly cheap too.
Hope this helps.
Dan