importing a CSX4000 series Shelby Cobra titled as a 65

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: importing a CSX4000 series Shelby Cobra titled as a 65  (Read 12264 times)

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
does anyone here know how to do this, and/or anyone who's done one?

for those that don't know, the CSX4000 series cobra's are built by Shelby American, as "shelby-built" continuation cobra's - they're really cobra replica's, but built by shelby american, serialised as a shelby, in the registry etc etc.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/CSX4000.asp

if you know who's who in the zoo, they can be titled as 1965 built vehicles and therefore imported as such...

apparently...

so i'm keen to hear if anyone has any experience in importing one of these beauties.

peace..
BrianE :o

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »
I keep finding one in my searches....its 80% complete and titled as a 65/66. Think it was $15ish but not sure if its the real deal.

As long as the title says 65 and you apply for your import approval before you ship it, you should be ok.

It just may be slightly different when it comes time to register than a normal car...it can be done.

Did some research for Macca on here when he was entertaining the same idea...but he bought a corvette;x

;3

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:48:36 pm »
Many have been busted in the US for doing just that. Creating titles on "new" cars as old ones (most common is hot rods). Boyd Coddington is probably the best known person caught. I believe it cost him over US250K in fines & court costs, also had to go on the speaking trail, warning car groups against doing the same. Not that he lived long after that anyway.

Shelby also got caught trying to pass these off, back in the 90's, so he was quick to point out that these were sold as "race cars only" & were not for the road. I know a few are registered now, but 'what as', I could not tell you. So maybe he got around this as a limited manufacturer, but they would be considered "new" cars.

Other issue is that both DOTAS, Aussie Customs & your local RTA are not stupid. They are all 'up to speed' with these cars. The cars would have to pass the relevant ADRs applicable to when they were built.

There are major differences to an original Cobra & these new ones. Even the chassis design has some differences. Also drivetrain improvements etc. They are fairly easy to pick.

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:50 pm »
Originally posted by Shermatt
I keep finding one in my searches....its 80% complete and titled as a 65/66. Think it was $15ish but not sure if its the real deal.

As long as the title says 65 and you apply for your import approval before you ship it, you should be ok.

It just may be slightly different when it comes time to register than a normal car...it can be done.

Did some research for Macca on here when he was entertaining the same idea...but he bought a corvette;x

;3

shermatt - completed "rollers" typically go for 60-90K depending on level of completion, fibreglass vs alum, etc.  never seen one for anything like 15K so thats probably not a true CSX car.

title would definitely say 65, and i've imported 9 cars and NEVER without an import approval first...

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:13:35 pm »
Originally posted by ozbilt
Many have been busted in the US for doing just that. Creating titles on "new" cars as old ones (most common is hot rods). Boyd Coddington is probably the best known person caught. I believe it cost him over US250K in fines & court costs, also had to go on the speaking trail, warning car groups against doing the same. Not that he lived long after that anyway.

Shelby also got caught trying to pass these off, back in the 90's, so he was quick to point out that these were sold as "race cars only" & were not for the road. I know a few are registered now, but 'what as', I could not tell you. So maybe he got around this as a limited manufacturer, but they would be considered "new" cars.

Other issue is that both DOTAS, Aussie Customs & your local RTA are not stupid. They are all 'up to speed' with these cars. The cars would have to pass the relevant ADRs applicable to when they were built.

There are major differences to an original Cobra & these new ones. Even the chassis design has some differences. Also drivetrain improvements etc. They are fairly easy to pick.

shermatt - never heard of anyone being busted for what you're suggesting.  we may have our wires crossed.  there are several states in the US where these early "continuation cars" can legitimately be titled as 65 (or whatever) cars - nothing underhanded or fraudulent - and then sold as such.

from what i'm being led to believe, the 65 title plus an appropriate MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) plus all requisite export / import approvals is what is needed to legitimately import the car as a 65, and register it as same.

re major differences to the original cobras (ie the CSX2000 cars) and these ones - i agree.  improvements to the chassis, suspension, etc have been engineered in to the CSX4000 cars as you would expect.  you can definitely tell the CSX4000 cars from the CSX2000 cars (apart from a couple of hundred thousand difference in price !!)  but i'm thinking they'd still be a whole lot more collectable than any of the Superformance / Factory Five etc clones that are simply clones, with no common DNA or provenance to the original cars.

the fact that (a) they're in the registry as 'continuation cobra's', (b) built at shelby american (body's supplied by kirkham) and (c) have shelby's blessing (and signature) positions them halfway between the real CSX2000 cars (costing in the high hundreds of thousands of dollars) and the 'kit cars' which are cheap, non-original in almost every way, and are priced at US$30-60K for a 'good' car.

open to opinions though...  thats why i posted the question!

over.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:16:27 pm »
No, at $15ish it would of been some project thingy....looked the shi7 but def not the true deal

Didnt bother reading the 700 pages of info the guy had about it as I was searching for a fastback or something...just looked at the pics quickly and moved on...

If I find it again I post it up for ya with the info....just to give ya some info to read

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 10:31:39 pm »
Originally posted by mistermustang
Originally posted by ozbilt

shermatt - never heard of anyone being busted for what you're suggesting.  we may have our wires crossed.  there are several states in the US where these early "continuation cars" can legitimately be titled as 65 (or whatever) cars - nothing underhanded or fraudulent - and then sold as such.

from what i'm being led to believe, the 65 title plus an appropriate MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin) plus all requisite export / import approvals is what is needed to legitimately import the car as a 65, and register it as same.

re major differences to the original cobras (ie the CSX2000 cars) and these ones - i agree.  improvements to the chassis, suspension, etc have been engineered in to the CSX4000 cars as you would expect.  you can definitely tell the CSX4000 cars from the CSX2000 cars (apart from a couple of hundred thousand difference in price !!)  but i'm thinking they'd still be a whole lot more collectable than any of the Superformance / Factory Five etc clones that are simply clones, with no common DNA or provenance to the original cars.

the fact that (a) they're in the registry as 'continuation cobra's', (b) built at shelby american (body's supplied by kirkham) and (c) have shelby's blessing (and signature) positions them halfway between the real CSX2000 cars (costing in the high hundreds of thousands of dollars) and the 'kit cars' which are cheap, non-original in almost every way, and are priced at US$30-60K for a 'good' car.

open to opinions though...  thats why i posted the question!

over.

That was me that wrote about those that were busted. I had the knowledge about Boyd as we had the same Lawyer firm in LA.

Over here, as in many US states, they look at Y.O.M., that is year of manufacturer.

The ones titled as 65's can only have been completed if someone had a title from a wrecked Cobra or convinced the VIN verification person that it was an "early car". A state DMV will not give a 65 title to a "new" car. I know that for a fact. Do not care what they say, yes it is fraudulent, because it is not a 65 but a newer car & they know it.

Don't believe the spin you here from over there about these cars (not you Matt, Lol), it is a totally different matter when you get one here & try to register it. LP gas for starters in NSW I believe.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:11:37 am »
Might be worth looking at one of the continuation model MK111 427S/C's built by AC cars in the UK from 1990 to 2002,  and typically stocked by Rod Leach's "Nostalgia' at http://www.classicdriver.com

Most were built RHD.

Gerry Hawksbridge of Hawk Cars in the UK does a stunning 289 Cobra replica, which is available with the Kirkham alloy body made by skilled tradesmen at a Polish aircraft factory. It's classed as a kit car.

Before importing anything younger than 30 years though, it pays to do the homework on DOTARS and state rego requirements.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:45:35 pm »
MrM.  
I looked at these awhile ago and still have one on my wish list with a spot in the garage for it.  They can be imported as a replica of the original for the year of original manufacture.  The import duty is the same.  The problem is getting it fully registered here as you are dealing with different sets of laws and emission requirements.  My best option was importing and getting a club permit for club events.  I'm still keen and look forward to hearing how it goes.  

Mac      :o

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:05:17 pm »
Shelby America gets around it's own challenges with these cars by not shipping with any engine or gearbox, this is completed by the selected dealer afterwards.  That let's Shelby off the hook, and becomes a local issue which these dealers have worked out for their local laws.  They talked about it a bit when we toured the factory last year.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:14:34 am »
How funny, Some dood from Finland just sent me an email asking if I can find him a cobra replica.

There was one advertised local for $15k and one for $25k that is allready RHD that was imported from England but no pics

Fuel injected 96 built Asking $15k

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 04:24:58 pm »
Matt, can you send a pic of the RHD and details when u get it?

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 04:58:35 pm »
No :w

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 05:17:22 pm »
Originally posted by Bumblebee
Shelby America gets around it's own challenges with these cars by not shipping with any engine or gearbox, this is completed by the selected dealer afterwards.  That let's Shelby off the hook, and becomes a local issue which these dealers have worked out for their local laws.  They talked about it a bit when we toured the factory last year.

Cheers Bee

hey Bee - i went early last year too.  got the tour of the shelby factory, museum, kroyer racing engines, and Toms Motorsports / Nevada Classics where they mate the CSX4000 cars with their chosen drivetrains.  note the one photo with the speedo needle at 100mph.  my host, Mark Logan, took me for a spin on LV motor speedway, and was shifting from 3rd to 4th as we blasted through 100MPH.  it was an awesome sound to hear the exhaust reverberating off the side walls of the track.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8974241@N08/sets/72157601972781299/show/

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 05:24:24 pm »
macca

its 330am here and I need to get some sleep mate. I just sent off an email asking for the fellas contact details and some more pics.

will forward on what I get mate ...yaawwwwwnnnn!!!

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 05:25:28 pm »
Matt..Get to bed and give your Mrs a cuddle...  Go..!!

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 07:22:48 pm »
Also beware of importing a car built in one year and titling it as another. Current fraud laws mean that one day, a distant owner can come back and bite you for ANY losses that are a direct result of your skulldudgery...

That means, if in 2020 that car is sold for $1M to someone as a 1965 car who then loses $950K of that value when it turns out it was made in 2004, YOU have to make up the shortfall even tho you only sold it for $55K in 2010 BECAUSE you sold it as a 1965 car... And it doesn't matter how many owners it had in the interrim.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »
this is all starting to sound like more of a pain in the ar$e than anything...

guess i'll just go back to plan-A and build/install one of these smick all-aluminium 427 windsor's in my 67 GT350, instead

http://www.themustangnews.com/tech_09/0209-shelby-351.htm

:p   :p   :p  

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 08:14:45 pm »

guess i'll just go back to plan-A and build/install one of these smick all-aluminium 427 windsor's in my 67 GT350, instead

......and I thought you were keen. Dont let some silly little complications get in your way. :+
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 12:52:03 am »
Originally posted by nassi

yeah i know mate... but i don't want an expensive car landed here in perth only to find out it can't be registered..  that would suck big time..  and there's no way to find out in advance.

......and I thought you were keen. Dont let some silly little complications get in your way. :+  

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:50 pm »
What the hell am I doing in here you may ask but I was doing some research the other day looking for info on build years and this came up

I have been offered a nice (Actually 2) AC cobras both with build dates as 65 and 66 on the titles.

The 66 428SCJ was built in 78 and have a lot of history on th car and the 65 I have not much

So I called FORS and she was quite not helpful in answering my one simple question

I wanted to know that if a kit was built (or completed) in 1978 but the car was titled as a 1966 and has been since 78...how do I apply for the import approval

Is it what is written on the government state title....a 1966 ac cobra (odviously a clone)

The 65 is a 302 auto but a very sexy unit....is also titled as a 65

whats your thoughts?

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 02:51:23 pm »
my thoughts......... How much? :cool:

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »
They are a beautiful addition to any garage.