hope these help.....

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: hope these help.....  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Yella 66

• Pony
hope these help.....
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:54 pm »
Hi all
I'm a newbie and have been trying to install a Grant steering wheel into my 66 Fastback.  got the original steering wheel off ok, but got a bit stumped by the turn signal and the 2 spring buttons for the horn. Are they supposed to stay - or do i cut them off OR does the custom hub just push on top of them...i tried this but it didn't seem right.

The instructions i have are a bit vague and i'm not confident enough to cut wires etc - is there a website or something with diagrams /photos??

thanks

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
hope these help.....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:36:46 pm »
The Grant wheel fits on without cutting anything. The instructions are a bit difficult, but reread them & sleep on it.They actually fit quite nice as 2 of the cars in my photobucket site have them.

Offline Yella 66

• Pony
hope these help.....
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:29 pm »
does the custom hob just sit over the 2 horn pins and the plastic set up for the indicators, and then all the rest just fits over?...it seemed a bit unstable??
if that's how it goes then all sorted

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
hope these help.....
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:23:46 pm »
My indicator return mechanism really crashes through when self cancelling, so it might be worthwhile to jack up the front wheels and try that out before tightening your steering wheel nut.

Think I'll have to check the instructions, then remove the steering wheel and see what's going on, after 5 years of putting up with it.

Offline Yella 66

• Pony
hope these help.....
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:31:24 pm »
thanks all I will try again on the weekend...at least i'll know how to take it apart.

do you pull the indicator return off the old steering wheel? or is that a part i should have got in the grant kit.
Also i'm assuming you take your pick of the post covers...should there be much of a gap.
I saw some at the willowbank weekend and some had gaps and some were flush.  does it make any difference.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
hope these help.....
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:57:16 am »
Yes I had to use the return from the old wheel. The post cover should leave minimal gap, I think they are specific to year model but cant remember for sure.
Good luck with the horn button, they have a tendancy to pop off.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
hope these help.....
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:50:40 am »
You can overcome the horn button falling off by using 2 or 3 dabs of silicone sealant around the inner edge of the horn button. problem solved

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
hope these help.....
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:46:01 pm »
Hey Yella 66, I have a few shots of you cruising around QLD raceway on the weekend. I was cruising next to you in the red 66 fastback. I can email them to you if you want. It was a good day out hey.
Dave
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline Yella 66

• Pony
hope these help.....
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 07:14:23 pm »
thanks Dave

sent through my email via U2U.

was a great day...first time on the track and wanted to do a bit more than 100kph....100mph would have been more fun!!

looking forward to the next event

Clark