RRS rack & pinion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RRS rack & pinion  (Read 16097 times)

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
RRS rack & pinion
« on: June 27, 2009, 04:02:04 pm »
Just got a brand new RRS rack and pinion steering couple of days ago was supposed to take only 2 weeks for delivery. After 5 phone calls , and after checking with the courier company , 6weeks later it was established that it was lost in transit. So then another was sent out and 2 weeks later it arrives on my doorstep. Yaaah! Then i unpacked it and noticed the steering unijoint shaft was missing , and later on also found the coluum bearing support was also missing :[
Got on to the supplier who has been good BTW and he is express posting the missing parts.
Yesterday i went and bolted it up and was suprised how easy it was. BUT THEN! i checked for any play by grabbing the wheels from the front and pushing them in and out (i dont have the coluum connected) and got another surprise WTF!!!!!! Check out the play i got from the steering rack. This cant be normal . Can someone with this steering please jack up the front of their car and check for this movement. Sorry its not very clear , its video'd with my phone.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 04:24:03 pm »
I have fitted a couple of those racks (do not anymore) but they did not have that movement. that looks to me like the internal bushing or bearing that holds the rack in place on the LH side is missing. When I say rack, I mean the internal rack, as that is a shaft with "teeth" & not the outside housing. Yes that is a MAJOR problem & I would be returning it.

I was extreemly dissapointed with their products on both occasions I used them ( was customers request, not mine)

For racks I was with TCP at the beginning & still pleased with their product. I am fitting a TCP R&P at the moment in a RHD conversion.

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:28:13 pm »
that dosen't look good. u2u nassi he has one I think.

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »
Yes ozbuilt thats what i think too . I could pull it apart and check or fix but then i will void any warranty , just sux iv had the bad luck getting it . Was originally going for the AOI and i would of had it 6 weeks ago , but that came as a kit with the pump and hoses which i dont need at $500 more than the RRS which was on special. Must be returned stock or something. Not Happy.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »
Sent U2U

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »
Originally posted by scott66stang
Yes ozbuilt thats what i think too . I could pull it apart and check or fix but then i will void any warranty , just sux iv had the bad luck getting it . Was originally going for the AOI and i would of had it 6 weeks ago , but that came as a kit with the pump and hoses which i dont need at $500 more than the RRS which was on special. Must be returned stock or something. Not Happy.

Well many on this forum would know of my DISLIKE and NOTHING BUT DRAMAS with this company, my number of mentions still werent enough to help some people!
Sorry about your drama mate but your only half way through it, by the looks! RETURN GOODS FOR COMPLETE REFUND and go with TCP.  ...if you don't, the dramas will continue for a VERY long time yet.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 05:42:39 pm »
After hearing alot of negatives about RRS, mainly after sales service and long waiting for product issues, i was hesitant in going for it , but apart from the price i assumed it was an ok product. The only reason i went for it was it was on special by the supplier ($2400 p/s model) not RRS directlyand they had it in stock and could get it to me within 2 weeks. It was only the hiccup of the 1st courier company loosing it????? which put a spanner in the works . I will call them on monday send them the video and see what is offered before i go any further , unfortunately the bloke i was dealing with wont be there for another week. I proberbly go for a refund and go another way , TCP or AOI . i do have alot of time still , but i mainly wanted to check the starter motor clearance to see if i can lower the engine more before pulling everything out for the RH conversion , its been holding me up.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 05:48:23 pm »
Well on a positive note, when you get it sorted and you will, we'll have to 'saddle up' and get 'THE BALDIVIS POSSE' together.;+  I've noticed a few 'stang owners on here from the deep south of Perth(badlands).  perhaps we could all catch up.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 05:58:38 pm »
The first one was lost  !! ...
Hmmm ... how do you lose something that big ?!!!?

I suspect it will show up eventually for sale in the parking lot of a pub somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your probs. I was thinking of getting one, but too many horror stories. I saw the AOI at the Hot Rod show and it looked pretty nice.  TCP or AOI would be the go.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:01:23 pm »
Originally posted by 6T9rustang
Well on a positive note, when you get it sorted and you will, we'll have to 'saddle up' and get 'THE BALDIVIS POSSE' together.;+  I've noticed a few 'stang owners on here from the deep south of Perth(badlands).  perhaps we could all catch up.
Definately , im always up for :2 . Have met Chadd and Ross and noticed you where also nearby.
Do you still have the RRS setup on yours ?  

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:05:35 pm »
The TCP R&P will allow you to both lower the engine if you wish & move it back as well. I have done both to the 65 Paxton blown convert in the photobucket site linked to my name. However I usually leave the engine in the stock position.

The TCP also allows you to fit most extractors.

Downside is reduced turning radius.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 06:07:40 pm »
;1 ... i forgot to add, when the weather is better! Yes mate still got the rack in and 'no' it doesn't have the play yours does. My car isn't local otherwise I'd offer to show you. I still have a 'sump touching issue' with my rack but I created that problem.:(

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 06:21:17 pm »
The AOI rack would have to bumpsteer badly, looking at the position of the knuckles in the steering arms. Would not be my choice. It actually looks like a copy of the first TCP rack which was a Volvo unit & the bumpsteer problem led them down the track to the centre steer unit they have now. I was there with them when the idea first came up & I also suggested the RHD version when I saw the drawings because it was so simple to do. That is the first RHD rack in the photobucket site I described above.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 06:54:25 pm »
Originally posted by Frank70
The first one was lost  !! ...
Hmmm ... how do you lose something that big ?!!!?

I suspect it will show up eventually for sale in the parking lot of a pub somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your probs. I was thinking of getting one, but too many horror stories. I saw the AOI at the Hot Rod show and it looked pretty nice.  TCP or AOI would be the go.

Cheers,
Frank.
I was actually hoping it will still turn up because then i will have spares , sounds like i may need them LOL!

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 11:02:52 pm »
Dosnt look good Scott, I have run a manual R&P for several years now and I still like it, its still a pleasure to use. That play in your video is not there on mine.
RRS have never been anygood with info or aftersales backup, the reason I had the local agent do the installation.
I ordered the stuff in November and it arrived in Febuary (Christmas was the reason for delay apparently) the order was not complete or correct.
I would probably still be trying to work it all out though :+
If you need a look just call.
cheers
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 11:53:10 pm »
Just looking at the pics of the AOI R&P it looked to me like the spacing of the knuckles was different to the spacing of the inner tie rods to the draglink on a standard car. That is the holes in the draglink should be the same as the knuckle spacing. Hope that does not sound too confusing?

If they are the same, then no problem, but if the distance is different then bumpsteer will occurr. As I have not seen the R&P to measure, I can only go off the pics. You may be able to clear that up for me.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
RRS rack & pinion
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »
Originally posted by SUSPECT
I went AOI because of the RRS service (or lack thereof), and they have aussie engineering cert (not sure I we could get TCP over the pits)... havent fitted yet of course..

Ozbilt, can you explain what you mean about the differences.. from what I can tell inner tie rods start at about the same place with the exception that AOI rack has ball joints instead.

AOI came with outer tie rods for both I6 and V8 spindles, and because I told them I had XF stubs they sent me additional sleeves (however these are for Granada stubs so dont fit)

I admittidly had to wait a bit, but that was to get the newer design.. no other reason..

Sounds like you got the AOI set that i had my name on and then cancelled , the first new prototype from the states , i should of got that instead. I think i will be happy with the RRS if i get it sorted.