yes there was

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: yes there was  (Read 1856 times)

Offline jr65

• Worked
yes there was
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:00:03 am »
I am just getting ready to put the front mudguards after an engine rebuild an engine bay repaint.

Is there supposed to be a flexable sealer that goes on the top of the inner guard so when the mudguard bolts on top its not just metal to metal?

Thanks
Jeff

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
yes there was
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:08:31 am »
Jeff, I really doubt it. I don't remember any sealer when I ripped mine off. It would make it a pain for adjustment & removal.

Evan.

Offline jr65

• Worked
yes there was
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:43:32 am »
Hi Ev

I wasn't sure when I pulled them off there was like a blue tack blob every now and again,  it may have been  from when the car was repsrayed years ago they use it to tack the guards while they adjusted them.

Well on they go, with any luck I will be giveing it a test drive tomorrow.:a

Offline jonn

• Stallion
yes there was
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:44:28 am »
When I pulled my guards off, there was a strip of butyl rubber like gunk. Don’t know if it was like this out of the factory.

regards

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
yes there was
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:04:15 pm »
Great to hear Jeff. You'll have to post some photos.

Evan.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
yes there was
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:45:09 pm »
It was a dark grey caulking, typically goes black over time with oil, dirty and other crap. Used to stop/reduce metal/metal contact and seal-off the engine bay. Similar to join between fuel tank and trunk floor.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
yes there was
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:03:33 pm »
There is definately  a black intermittant line of black 'rubberised' stuff along the top of the top of the guard on my vert we're rebuilding.

But its so flaky..I have no idea what purpose it has really :)

JC :)
Rock on!

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
yes there was
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 01:22:20 pm »
You can buy the the stuff as a tape nowadays.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline jr65

• Worked
yes there was
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 01:30:42 pm »
Thanks.

I better get out aned buy some before I go to much further.

I just didn't seem right metal to metal.

Ev I have got some phots Ill post them soon

Thanks
Jeff

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
yes there was
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 04:57:59 pm »
Oops, sorry for the bum steer Jeff. I guess I'll have to get some of that tape also when I finally get to that stage.
Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Evan.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
yes there was
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 11:19:37 pm »
Yes it is called "strip calk" in the US. It was actually grey in color. At the factory it was put on by a gun, but you can get it in a roll separated by paper, making it easy to apply. It is also available in OZ. If it is not put back, water & the dirt, the wheels pick up, will get between the guards & the side skirts, weeping into the engine bay. I usually leave a litte exposed as that was what sometimes happened on the line.

Offline jjz108

• Stallion
yes there was
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 09:30:27 pm »
Just checked my records and mine had strip caulk there also on both sides, as ozbilt pointed out. Very roughly applied too.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
yes there was
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:01:54 pm »
Everything was sloppy on the line building those cars. Look at the way all sealers were applied. Caulking in corners was pushed in by a cotton glove covered finger. Spare bolts left under carpet, candy wrappers are a common find in unmolested cars.

Consider this, 500 cars per day at each Mustang factory in that era, that gives 2.88 mins per operation on average. They must have been many lines at each plant as I know that paint inc rubbing & dry time, took about 1 hour, installing headliners took 1.5 hours, just to name a couple.

Thats why when you see pics of the production line from those days, usually the operator was holding a hammer! There is a good shot of a worker "adjusting" a hood in the Mustang Recognition Guide that has been around for years. We have seen front guard bolts in unrestored cars that have been punched down to get a good bonnet fit.

An American friend of mine worked on the Chevy line in CA back in the 60's while going through college. He told me about saving time by using self tapping bolts in place of correct fine threaded bolts in the inner guard shells of Oldsmobile 442's he was putting together. He wonders how many of those fell out later!