Good Timing!!! WTF? Could not be worse timing

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Good Timing!!! WTF? Could not be worse timing  (Read 10618 times)

Offline Alvaro351

• P Plates
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:42:52 pm »
Hi everyone, long time lurker - first time poster. ;{

Having convinced the missus that the swine flu should be overlooked, we are off to California, Arizona and Canada's west coast for 4 weeks.

I am hoping to find a nice 70 fastback to bring back with me. I haven't set a budget as this will depend on the car. I am happy to pay more for one with the options I want and my preference would be for a daily driver I can restore myself, rather than one with a shiny coat of paint.

A couple of questions then - how much notice do the local (LA-Freo) importers need? If I can't drive the car to the docks in LA, are there any Cali/Arizona companies highly recommended? And finally what is the best print (ala Quokka) to search for cars in the US?

I will be scouring ebay, carsonline, craigslist etc... for a couple more weeks. :o Thanks in advanced.

Cheers,
Alvaro

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:08:33 am »
Whatever you do, don't ship it without an Australian import licence. Check DOTARS site.

Get it really well steam cleaned in LA to pass Quarantine here, and decant any aircon gas with paperwork to prove.

Good luck finding the car you want, and safe travelling.

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:08:53 am »
Alvaro - good timing with the dollar at the moment! It is making things go a little crazy but that is a good thing.

You are more than welcome to come visit us on your way up the coast to Canada and at the end of your trip leave the car with us and we will ship it over for you. We do that often for the traveling Aussie. Cheers
Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:28:37 am »
;x;w

Having convinced the missus that swine flu should be overlooked??????:*:*

Like the kind family that went to Disneyland for a nice holiday -and then brought swine flu into Melbourne on their return!!!!!! Yesterday the count was only 600 or so.

Check this out  http://www.newfluwiki2.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=BA4A752D32A470DF9D6CEE57B8FCDB75?diaryId=3411

or this   http://www.newfluwiki2.com/recentActive.do

Have a nice trip!!!!!!
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline Alvaro351

• P Plates
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:01:06 am »
66red - thanks for the advice. I will make sure that which ever importer I choose will include this in their service.

USA to OZ - will be talking to you soon to get some more details, cheers.

Rocket - (insert sarcasm here) I'm sorry, I should really pay more attention to the media and spend the remainder of winter in hibernation, until doctors find a cure for the flu... /end sarcasm.

No really, I'd rather be sitting in home in quarantine with a good dose of the flu and my mustang, than going to work. :(

Cheers,
Alvaro

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:05:28 am »
When you get to LA airport and you need directions where you need to go...DONT ASK ANYONE outside that looks like they work there wearing name tags around there neck holding a folder.....Theres about 100 of em floating around the airport and you WILL GET STOPPED by atleast 5 of em in your airport travels...Nothin wrong with them, there just collecting for charity but when your in a hurry it gets frustrating.....just give the first one some cash...get the directions...and GO.

Or just ask some staff inside...if your on the cheap.

Dont buy the first bucket of sit you see and dont roll up without atleast a good deposit and.... knowing you can commit to getting them cash within 2 days if youve haggled down pretty good as it will sell to the next fella

Get ya butt down to TGI Fridays and try the Jack Daniels Bourban back ribs or the steak...if you like the JD sauce..you can get it at your local grocer...Id say Publix ...if they have em up there.

Light beer, means lite in carbs NOT LIGHT in alcahol content...allready made that mistake:2:2:2:2:2

When someone hears your accent, and they ask "where you from sugar?" just say sarcastically.."From round the corner"  ..its quicker...trust me...if its a big black man that says it....RUUNNNNNNN

Get ya international drivers lic sorted.....if you get pulled over for anything....give em ya ozzie lic and NOT ya international lic...be  nice and smile...trustme...NO TICKET....to much paperwork

download a copy of an import approval ready for you to fill out and fax off the moment you actually buy a car...send it with a copy of your drivers lic and the bill of sale and maybe a copy of the Title just to be safe

Oh yeah...and when your looking at them.... DONT   DO NOT...tell anyone your shipping it out of the country   BIG NO NO  

Just tell em youve moved here and you want it for your wife...they dont need to know anymore. Some people are very weird when it comes to the mussy leavin the country and COULD risk you purchasing the car.

What else.

Dont talk to strangers. Look both ways TWICE...really...do it. Dont have an open bottle of beer in ya car.

Make sure you read the title before handing over cash.....make sure it says that there are no leans on the car

And last but not least, Have fun and good luck

:]

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:10:13 am »
If you want to speak to someone in Perth before you go who is local try Sheriden at www.importperfections.com.au or Wayne at America West.  Both import to Freo.

The other thing is if you do buy a car, buy all your parts in the US and ship with car and take an extra suitcase and load it up to the bag limit :f

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:01:20 am »
Don't forget ya toothbrush!:+

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 10:10:35 pm »
Look at a minimum of 10 cars and if they are all pretty ordinary, buy one here when you get back to OZ!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline scedd

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:36 pm »

Look both ways TWICE...really...do it.

This is good advice - OZ habits are hard to break

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:47:55 am »
Originally posted by scedd

Look both ways TWICE...really...do it.

This is good advice - OZ habits are hard to break

Oh yeah I forgot about that one... I almost got creamed a few times in the first couple of months.

Remember when making right turns, turn right away not at the median. Couple of visiting Aussies have not obeyed that one. Turn... turn now... TURN NOW!
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
Alvro351

I have a 70 Mach1, 351, 4 speed, disc brake car. All original, I am the second owner. Car is not restored, is at my home near Sydney (with DOTARS import approval). It was a Los Angeles, CA car.

Calyspo Coral with black interior. Has new magnums with new tyres, most new parts included to put it back as new.

Car is matching numbers ( have the matching block, engine was not going when I got it in 96) but comes with complete spare cleveland.

U2U me or email if interested. I can then send pics & list parts I have.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 05:35:33 pm »
Alvaro,

Some good advice left already.  

Some extras might be:       know where you are staying on the first night so you have something to put on your visiting visa card, get a GPS with a usa card before you go or include one in the hire of a car to make it easy to find your way around, VISA can be used anywhere and saves carrying cash, if you have RACV - has AAA bonus nearly everywhere you go or stay, get unlimited Miles on teh hire car, check the paperwork on the car thoroughly and have the receipt include aircon. cleared of gas and parts included, load the car up after purchase with extra bits you need from Mustang suppliers, make sure petrol is minimal when dropping car off and is super clean outside and underneath, take photos of body and record any scratches.  Leave a your title with the car but keep a copy of everything.  Keep copy of receipt and paperwork for withdrawing any funds here as they will be required for Customs importation including the aircon. gas removal.

Matt is a good importer and can help you with car movements and importing.

Mac

Offline Alvaro351

• P Plates
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 07:02:43 pm »
Thanks guys, this is all great advice.

I am planning on purchasing get a GPS to help with driving around. I think they are around US$120-$150, with Canada and US maps and worth every penny.

Booking accommodation through hotels.com and the like at a good price. Tripadvisor is a great source of information as well.

Cheers,
Alvaro

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 09:13:15 pm »
Oh, one major piece of advice.....

Do not even consider buying a car in Canada! It is big snow country up there, they put salt on snow covered roads. From the top of California on the west coast is rains heaps along with lots of snow.

Actually salt is put on all snow covered roads in the US including CA, I have a pic of our Mach1 covered in snow at Lake Tahoe, we used to drive up there for New Years Eve vacation each year, I had to take the Mustang at least once!!

Cars from up north (esp Canada) are like east coast cars, nothing left of them underneath. I have had customers come to me with cars they have bought from those areas & all of them were major rebuilds.

California, Arizona, New Mexico & occasionally Nevada are the best hunting grounds for rust free cars. Texas would be the furthest east I would look unless I know the history & where the car has been stored.

When travelling in the US, I always stayed at Hampton Inns or Howard Johnstons, always stay at a hotel where breakfast is included. That will save you US$20 a day for 2 people, more for a family. It also saves time as you don't have to drive to breakfast. I always take fruit from the hotel for morning tea in the car while driving. We shopped at the local supermarkets for sliced meats & bread rolls, then stopped at rest stops on the highways for lunch. Rest stops are always very clean with nice picnic tables around.

Enjoy the journey.

Offline ND69

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 09:23:57 pm »
Remember when driving always keep your body nearest to the centre line, when turning left on multi lane roads its a long way over..

If your not taking a laptop with you use PC in the ones in public libraries, That what we did

Good luck and enjoy yourself.....

Offline scedd

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 11:46:14 pm »
Originally posted by Alvaro351
Thanks guys, this is all great advice.

I am planning on purchasing get a GPS to help with driving around. I think they are around US$120-$150, with Canada and US maps and worth every penny.

When you come home, bring the yankee gps with you.
I (or a lot of other people here) will buy it off you.

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 01:17:51 am »
Sorry mate I would have to strongly disagree, this is misinformation.

I agree that cars from salt use areas are best top avoid.

There is plenty of information out there about this and I have a really good government website about how much each state use but I can't lay my hands on it right now. Here is a bit of info:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc222/99_wrangler/Other%20stuff/roadsaltusuage1.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008551284_snowcleanup23m.html

This is something we put together: http://usatoaus.com/rust.html

Have a great trip Alvaro! Give us a call, we are headed to California to pick up 5 cars today.

Originally posted by ozbilt
Oh, one major piece of advice.....

Do not even consider buying a car in Canada! It is big snow country up there, they put salt on snow covered roads. From the top of California on the west coast is rains heaps along with lots of snow.

Actually salt is put on all snow covered roads in the US including CA, I have a pic of our Mach1 covered in snow at Lake Tahoe, we used to drive up there for New Years Eve vacation each year, I had to take the Mustang at least once!!

Cars from up north (esp Canada) are like east coast cars, nothing left of them underneath. I have had customers come to me with cars they have bought from those areas & all of them were major rebuilds.
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 10:21:39 am »
The articles are from the present.

I am talking about the last 50 years & as you live there, as I do, we know that they used salt because of its availability & cheapness.

“During the 1940s, the ‘bare pavement’ policy of winter road maintenance, promising ‘June travel in January,’ began to be adopted by highway departments, with road salt as the deicer of choice. By winter 1965-66, more than two million tons of deicing salts were applied annually to roads in the U.S., mainly in the northeastern and north-central states; some roads received more than 20 tons of salt per season per lane-mile."

That is part of an article on conservation & this is just talking about the areas described. Canada & the north west were similar.

Maybe I should have said "they HAD used salt"

I do not import cars for other people. But have spent a lifetime repairing & rebuilding cars that have been (see bio). My first complete restoration was in 1968, a Studebaker President.

I stand by my statements.

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 05:09:00 pm »
We are in the northwest and have inspected hundreds of vehicles from this area and find that a vast majority are relatively rust free. We get hardly any snow here and usually it is gone within 12-24 hours. We get rain but the cars in this area don't seem to have been greatly effected by it.

There are probably more rusty "California" cars than from the PNW due to the warmer weather and the tendancy for people to gravitate to, and live near the sea and expose their vehicles to salt air.

I have no historical data to support the use, or lack of use, of salt on the roads in the PNW however the remaining cars are generally pretty good.

Today we inspected a 1950's pickup truck in northern California that had rusty floors, steps, A pillars. Rust is everywhere and each car needs to be addressed individually. I have even seen good cars come out of Michigan. I have also seen 2 year old Michigan cars that are about to fall in half due to rust.
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 11:41:24 pm »
I went to a party the other night and there were a heap of Cali folk there. After reading somewhere on the forum about salt and cali using it, I thought I would ask the question to satisfy my concerns.

They all said that they used too along time ago but they havent done it for years....mind you I was drinking :2 a few bevies and had 3 conversations going at once but they said something about sand..and thats where I left it...I just wanted a yes/no answer.

When it comes to rust and salt roads etc.... I think 40 odd years and as many states as there are .....a car can get around.

If the cars been restored and its parked in a garage with a car cover over it, its a car worth atleast looking at.

What Ozbilt and Usa2 oz have written is very interesting for the cali buyer. I never knew thay used salt in the 40's..its great trivia for that first time traveller on a mission for a mussie

Maybe stop in at usa2oz and have a few bevvies and do a few tequila's, lemon and SALT :+

They,ll be able to help ya ship ya mussie back home and maybe give you afew pionters. If you cant find one, maybe leave your order on the table...atleast youve met them personally

I will give you this little bit of advice...just because the car is in Cali when you inspect it...does not mean that its a Cali car...I send alot of cars from Nth Carolina and Virginia to Cali for restoration or resale. Check the cars history, you may be surprised.

Good luck with your adventure and all the best with finding that special toy

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 12:06:39 am »
Surely its not that hard!

C'mon fellas!
Rock on!

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 03:30:39 am »
I agree Matt each car has to be looked at and considered individually.

Driving through the Californian countryside yesterday we spotted 18 pre-1971 Mustangs in garages, parking lots and on the road. 0 Convertibles or Fastbacks. The bloody Aussies have "stolen" ALL of them! LOL

We purchased 5 vehicles yesterday and every one of them asked "so your shipping these overseas?" I guess we are not the first "foreigners" in these parts...
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 11:11:42 am »
My reasons for posting on this subject were to try to educate others in what I have learned, my points are as follows.

1,      Gone are the days when you could step off a plane at LAX, drive around LA & find heaps of classic cars. When I first started travelling to the US, my first call was always with Karl at Mustang Country in Paramount CA. There were always good cars for sale there, especially fastbacks of all model years. That has now dried up & only this week I was talking to a friend of mine that turns over hundreds of Mustangs. His statement was that GOOD fastbacks are scarce (his definition of "good", as his standards, are way below mine !).

Even armed with GPS and have all the "cars for sale" publications, it is a daunting & time consuming task, running around trying to find cars. Yes, include a bit of looking on your vacation, but it becomes very old quickly if you are calling this a holiday. I am networked with people all over the USA that collect rare & desireable cars, however it still is a lot of work to get around to them all.

Remember these Mustangs can be up to 45 years old & you are searching for them in a country that is only slightly smaller than the "island" here downunder!

2,     These cars were "consumer cars" never designed to last this long. The factory designed life was 5 to 7 years. That was why big model changes occurred every two years, because of the "baby boomer mentality", this does not happen now, models stay similar for longer, keeps tooling costs down. Cars were thrown together in the 60's through to the 80's, if you  were lucky (or unlucky) enough to visit a production line in those days, as I was, you would have seen the predominant tool of choice was a hammer ! These cars were also cheap, especially during the mid 70's during the fuel crisis, they were worth nothing & treated that way. I have friends that purchased Shelby's, Cobra's & Boss cars for a few hundred dollars each in the mid 70's, so what would a generic Mustang been worth then?  Ok, with the millions produced, some managed to get through in decent condition, but that, in my opinion, was a minority.

3,     Salted roads were the norm in snow country from the 1940's , so that means most of the USA, & these cars being cheap modes of transportation were driven in those conditions. If not salted roads, then some cars lived in humid conditions, ie; the southern states of the US. Anyone having a car in coastal NSW, in that same time frame, will remember the problems of rust in humid areas.

4,     Yes I agree with both USAtoAUS & Shermat, that examining each car is a must and it should be carried out by a professional as these two appear to be. Remember that the US has different standards to Australia when it comes to body & mechanical condition of cars & expectations of the buyer here in Australia are usually very high. You only have to search posts on this & other Australian forums to see that some expectations are too high. People do not consider what these vehicles may have been exposed to during their life. Example; our 69 Mach 1 was owned by a "Lady of Leisure" so that meant gloved hands when disassembling & cleaning !!! Joke

5,     I have restored too many "basket cases", luckily most of them were very valuable cars. A couple come to mind, a 68 Shelby GT500, early build car, that required a complete floor, torque boxes & rails, huge job, but the owner became a good friend as he had been "caught" with the car after paying way too much for it. Luckily the market skyrocketed during the rebuild process & he was able to come out nicely with that car (he would not on sell while it was rusty). Another is the Paxton blown car in my photobucket site. The original car was so bad & had VIN issues (he purchased sight unseen), we actually renegotiated with the seller & was able to use the recovered money to buy another fastback body that you see in the photos. That is what I mean about having a "professional" look at a car, as all this could have been prevented.

6,     I too, spent a lot of time in the Pacific Northwest, have many contacts up there, it is also where my Boss 302 comes from & it was a basket case as it had been driven hard, then left to rot. I have easily restored or repaired over a dozen cars from up that way, all were in advanced state of rust. That may be the exception, but in my mind, I don't think so.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »
Kerry

I agree with you 100%

Lets face it.....what were really tryin ta say here.....is Cali.....Is totally MILKED of the good clean fastbacks

Gone are the days of the right,....good clean fastback

As you say and Usa2oz...its a task, I know it, you know it and so does usa2oz.

I got customers with cash pourin out there mouths but I wont let them buy a bucket of shi7 just coz it looks good in the pics.....just inspected a ebay fastback @ $28k that looked sensational until I got there and picked the living FU3K out of it...I walked away at $19...its our names all OVER IT...and still didnt buy it..... (think back now and wish I did)

I hear you 100%

If my boys are gonna buy a car, I want to make sure its the shi7 they want.

Id rather loose the car than send shi7

I think what USA2oz is sayin is that they are unaware of the salt conditions now.

I dont know, Im in Florida, but Im hearin what ya sayin. I agree that if your comin for some sort of holiday to find a fastback....its not happenin

Its game on like donkey kong the moment you land in Cali.

Your either here to buy a car (totaly focused) or your here enjoying the sights. or tyr a bit of both

All I can say is

Go up there with best intentions, look around, see what you find, BUT.....DONT JUMP INTO THE FIRST car that you think you want...just coz your there.....next thing you,ll know, you'll be sitting at home, waiting for ya car...and all of a sudden..you'll see one on ebay for half the price just around the corner from where you were the day you bought your car that is still stuck on the docks.

The moment you land have the boys from USa2oz pick ya up or meet out. Whats that gonna hurt.

Slide some fellow ozzies a few bucks to get ya in the right direction.....trust me, it aint as easy as they say in the magazines. If not, you gained some ozzie mates in the US.

I will tell you this, you will be on the go everyday driving...DRIVING, DRIVING  DRIVING

And I think this is what everyone is trying to say.

If you were looking for a coupe, this thread/post....would be 1 page long..maybe

All I hear ...EVERYDAY...is fastback and CONVERTIBLE

My advice is, if ya in LA, contact usa2oz, if ya on the other side call ToNeS or jims custom classics and if ya in Florida, call the Fatkid (Free accomadation)  : )

Hope that educated rather than pi55ed people off

Loves ya all...have a great night/Day

Matt