Big Block

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Big Block  (Read 15705 times)

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:38 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just to introduce my self and my new purchase.

Im from SA and just joined the American muscle car clan with my recent purchase of a unfinished project 1967 Mustang coupe.

Somewhat a japanese performance car nut i do like my fords and V8 just never had the oportunity to get one till now. price too good to refuse.

now about the car

Its Californian built car sold in Pheonix.

it has a original 289 with 3pd manual.the 289 needs reco but included was a clean 302.

the car has been restored 13yrs ago but never finished.
bare metal respray with replated parts and converted to RHD.

rust free shell  just needs assembly and rego.

though being a bit of a car nut and like performance, the car will have further upgrades once rego has been passed.

depending on the budget and what i learn from this great forum the list of mods planned bellow:

Option 1 ( biger budget)
Late model BOSS290 with twin turbo setup
6spd manual transmission
LSD diff
bigger disk brake upgrade and rear disk conversion.
wide 16"  or 17" rims

option2 (smaller budget)
custom EFI and rebuild the 302 or if i find a cheapish 351
Alloy heads
twin turbo setup agian
5spd transmission
LSD diff
bigger disk brake upgrade and rear disk conversion.
wide 16"  or 17" rims

though not a fan of current colour dark mettalic blue
was thinking getting it resprayed before assembly takes place.

original colour is "T"  Candy apple red with red interior.

interior is in good condition so not planning to change the colour.

colours that ive been thinking about is silver/grays, blue or black. feel free to give your opinions on other colours.

pics will follow soon. just need to find them and figure how this forum does it.

hope im welcome and that ill be steered in right direction.

cheers

Johnny

try two hopefully this works better

Offline DruDel

• Stallion
Big Block
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:23:54 pm »
Hi Johnny and welcome.

The engine mods your contemplating sound very intersting. A turbo strapped to anything makes a car a hell of a lot more fun!

I'm a fan of Silver duco and red interior.... don't know why I didn't go that way on my resto!

Hope to see some more pics as you progress along. Good luck.

Cheers,
Dru

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:55:27 pm »
Welcome aboard. Go the silver and black. Option 2 sounds like fun to me

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline kiwi69

• Thoroughbred
Big Block
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 12:58:01 pm »
Welcome Johnny.  Plenty of 67 lovers on this site and great knowledge.  Look forward to watching your build.
cheers kiwi

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:18:26 pm »
thanks guys for a nice welcome.

i think i got the pics up and running.

Dru yeah I'm bit of a turbo nut. All my current cars have one. I love my turbo insanity.

though always wanted a nice muscle car just couldnt afford one for daily.

this will be my summer weekend toy.

so far all the pics ive seen on the net my favourite ones are the ones i listed.

Chillichad that silver one looks sweet. love it.

will need few parts that i must have ie: the chrome strip that goes around the back and the boot, center console, and GT grill lights.

though im still awaiting to pick the car up as i have 3 more other projects along the way just need to make up some room.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Big Block
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 01:50:28 pm »
Great to see your new toy, and have fun on the journey.  The good thing with a V8 is that there are so many choices for power, in addition to the turbo option.

Either way I'm sure you'll really love owning a Mustang.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Big Block
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:07:57 pm »
And yet another 67 to enjoy, in the South of Oz! ;_
Keep us all informed and don't be scared to ask for advice as those on this forum have bucket loads of excellent, usable experience.
Enjoy the journey.:(
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Big Block
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:34:18 pm »
Forget the Turbos mate your talking Super chargers now you a Mustang,;2

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
Big Block
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 05:39:18 pm »
I second Shaun go the supercharger, but I am a little bias
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »
Originally posted by shaunp
Forget the Turbos mate your talking Super chargers now you a Mustang,;2

hahah i was waiting for that.

Driven lot of cars in my time and had a few but to me turbos are the most fun to drive.

though  they were strapped to a 4cyl  6cyl and a twin rotary but imagine that on a V8. it be insane.

hence the reason for turbo.

though again its personal preferance and turbo is mine.

love it and without it its just too boring for me.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Big Block
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 06:33:40 pm »
No it's not the same, to have to grunt of a blower as soon as you crack the throttle, there is no comparison for a street car, an almost flat torque curve from idle to red line, You won't go back.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Big Block
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »
67TTcoupe

Welcome mate. I love my 33 GTR's and have owned afew in my time aswell as the stagea and a few other TT big boys out of Japan.

Having drivin them all, I can understand your passion for wanting to build such a bad boy yourself. I would love to drop a RB26TT into a 6 banger mussy and see the looks on the fellas faces over here....they wouldnt know what hit em. Not much of a following for the nissan range over here as they are a BANNED import and they have too settle for a Honda.

Good luck with the build up

Matt

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Big Block
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »
From a fellow Adelaide member.........Welcome. Johnny:(
Hope you manage to get you girl on the road in the not to distant future.....Look forward to seeing you on a Zippel cruise or a MOCSA event someday..........Dale
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 08:47:27 pm »
Originally posted by shaunp
No it's not the same, to have to grunt of a blower as soon as you crack the throttle, there is no comparison for a street car, an almost flat torque curve from idle to red line, You won't go back.

yeah i agree I know its not the same. :i
driven a supercharged V8 .personaly dont like them. its feels like a well tuned NA. not scary. ::
i like the lag at the start than hell breaking loose when boost comes on. wont get that in big hp v8 or supercharger. on the street well u just have to keep the revs up :(

I think Shermatt knows what im talking about.

funny u mention the RB26DET Matt in a mustang.

when i was reasearching the info about the 67 on the net came accross the tokyo drift mustang. interesting specs and times vs a 400CI mustang. may have to find that page again.

i wanted a v8 and cant wait to get her on the road than ill have the best of both world. V8 sound and turbo rush.

got a 6cyl turbo in a 76 Datsun (my avatar) my daily drive car. from a $500 heap of junk i made it to a comfartable very quick street car.

Mustang i want to retain as much originality as possible on the outside and interior.

Dale great to find a Adelaide member here. will do mate. i regularly attend the classic cruises with my dato.

was bit uneasy at the begining when im one of two jap cars in a cruise of 300+ US and OZ muscle cars but she keeps her head up high and quickly gained some respect.

one of my mates is a hardcore chev fan so he invites me to the cruises so to be in good spirit i went for ford. :+ to stir him up. hopefully next summer the muzzy should be on the road.

now still reading and checking out what ppl do.

expecialy when comes to brakes, power steering and suspension upgrades.

engine wise still trying to find out what to go for.
love to get a Boss290 but they cost a bit at the moment.

for force fed 302 or 351 still trying to find out the compresion ratios and strenght of the internals for boosted engine.
electronics not too fused most probably delco based system as i can reprogram them myself. pitty ford ones are pain.

option3

is to get a au xr8 with alloy heads and twin smallish turbos.

other than that maybe the 5.4L out of a new fairline or v8 falcon. they seem to be on the cheaper side than the boss engines.

decisions decisions hopefully will be easier when i start working on the car.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Big Block
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 09:34:53 pm »
Sounds like a heapf fun. To make a 5.4 fit is going to take some serious modification as they are so bloody wide.
Anyhow, welcome aboard.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline SHANJAY

• Pony
Big Block
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »
big block big block big block no other options:+:+:+:+:+:+:+no bigger smile

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 01:46:21 pm »
thanks for the replies guys. been reading the forums and trying to figure things out.

the things u guys go through amazes me.

though not new to car restoring or modifying but slightly different cattle of fish the mustangs.

but hopefully with my crazy ideas from previous cars and learning about what goes on the mustang with minimal mods should be an easy project.

still unsure about few things but can't learn everything in one or two days.

though found few helpfull tips just need to work out myself whats the best,easiest option to do things. i want to do things quickly as i got lot of other stuff going around my life.

man wish i was in US and get the Overhauling guys to do one of my cars.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Big Block
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 03:01:10 pm »
Build a stroker 351 windsor, to 393, or 400+ with some good bits and a blower and you have a hand full off tyre smoking car don't worry about that. You can buy blower kits, using side mounted type blowers but I like those twin screw Opcon Auto rotors they make big air quickly and sound great, I've got pictures of one we set up on a mates 383 Chev, it's got about 700 at the wheels at 70% thottle, we injected it as well, it's a hand full in an E type Jag, it will carry the front wheels, still drives ok, with a TKO behind it you can drive on the easy but it will turn the tyres in 5th no trouble.

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 03:56:03 pm »
hi birchy,

nah not getting anything back for ur 2c ;oP good info.

my mates boss has a 67 (not true) its 69 fastback BOSS429 that he paid a smalll fortune (i think 65K) preety much it was a bucket.
that has some big block engine. 400+ something not sure exactly but it was build in very low numbers. (for 65k for a bucket it better be)

that was very close to the towers. apperently the exhaust manifolds are some super duper extreemly rare to get that was fitted standard to this car. though this is going few month ago when i saw the car. wasnt that into mustangs (out of my price range) so didnt pay that much attention. wish i did.

pitty now love to check the vin number of that car to see what beast it is. may have to ask my mate to find it out for me.

so not sure what that monster was under there but it was huge thats y i was asuming the 5.4l will fit.  but u guys know better im sure its been tried.

for now what ive seen may rebuild the 302 get efi and the twins should make the install lot easier.

or if i could get the later 5l from the au XR8 as a base motor and work on that.

ahh but i wanted the newer engine so much....

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Big Block
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 04:15:16 pm »
Later 302s are roller cam to!

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Big Block
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 05:02:25 pm »
If you want the late model Boss you have 3 options.

1) Notch the towers & go Macpherson struts (RRS)

2) LHD Mustang 2 suspension & loose the towers

3) RHD Modded L300 front end & loose the towers

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 05:06:08 pm »
welcome mate, noticed the 260 avatar..... I had a 240 in my youth and have traded up to a Mustang now Im a bigger kid ;{

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Big Block
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »
TURBO"S?     We goin all doof doof here or what?

Next youl be tellin me of some hollywood movie where they had a RB20 in a mustang.....HOGWASH!
Get your mind out of the gutter!......Remember your Muscle Men!

Old muscle men ! But never the less Muscle Men.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 07:07:50 pm »
Originally posted by Cruzn65
welcome mate, noticed the 260 avatar..... I had a 240 in my youth and have traded up to a Mustang now Im a bigger kid ;{

yeah love my nissan and datsuns.

got that 260z that i redone all myself and a 240z thats awaiting resto for similar treatment.

though you may think the 260z is for kids but sure puts big boys toys to shame of the line and in the corners.

one of the muscle cruise i went on my car was one of 2 jap cars.
been called jap crap, jap junk, you call that tin can a car, etc.... but they thought of it differently when it wiped them of the line :f and in every other aspect.
so hope people dont underestiamte these things cause they be for a shock.

The good old 260z sure shocked lot of cars since its been on the road.

i like all cars if theres is something cool about them.so not too much of a hothead.

other than being a hardcore turbo fan i like 4cy 6cyl rotary and v8. hence i got them all. they all special in their own way.

now about doof doof and turbos yeah buddy all the way.

my head not in the gutter. sorry. just some people are blind of the other potential.

have showed on numerous occasions what a 2L 4cyl twin cam turbo engine can do to a 454 big block in a corvette and to the mighty 351 GTHO so wont go there about muscle car. they never bother showing up nowhere near afterwards.

im not there to prove a point. but its not everything in the muscle.

;2

maybe not so the doof doof part as i absolutely hate elaborate stereo gear
for me 2 speakers and a head unit with radio is all i need.

but vroooom and whooooosh what make my blood boil.

though other than being envious of the v8 guys of the sound performance wise the new high tech stuff can play ball very well against them.

this is not my first v8 car and sure not a first v8 engine. so been around the block in all sorts of wheels. tried them all. so i know what out there.

hope i didnt step on anyones toes. its matter of prefarance and i love efi and turbo. To me everything else is just not right.

now back to the mustang.

so basicaly the 5.4L wont fit without getting rid of the towers. fair enough so may as well scrap that.

now what the best (without being too hard to get ie GT engine) of the later 302 efi ones what ive gathered the one from AU XR8 or the TS50.

getting a ts50 be fairly expensive and hard due to their limited numbers. but S3 AU XR8 im asuming they are bit easier.

so is this the engine to go for.

or any after 93 5.0L will be fine?

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
Big Block
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 07:26:11 pm »
Originally posted by HEVEN67
TURBO"S?     We goin all doof doof here or what?

Next youl be tellin me of some hollywood movie where they had a RB20 in a mustang.....HOGWASH!
Get your mind out of the gutter!......Remember your Muscle Men!

Old muscle men ! But never the less Muscle Men.

actauly RB26DET

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/rb26powered1967mustang

http://67mustangblog.com/?p=354

not bad for jap crap ay!

but i wouldnt basterdise any of my cars like that.

Ford belongs in a Ford, nissan in a nissan and so on.

;+