$1800 Heater??

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: $1800 Heater??  (Read 3554 times)

Offline scottdogs

• Thoroughbred
$1800 Heater??
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:12:49 am »
Hi,

I have been trying to find someone local who is able to get the heater working on my 66 coupe. The first guy I took it to gave me the car back after a few hours and said he'd rather not have anything to do with it.

So I went over the road to a guy that always has a hot rod parked outside and asked if he could get the heater working. He didn't get back to me with a quote so I dropped in again to see him and now he informs me that it could cost up around $1800 to get it running!! For a total of 6 hours work!!

Is it just me or does this sound way over the top for a heater??

I'm no mechanic, but looking on Mustangs Unlimited it looks like I can replace the entire thing for around US$250

Would I be correct in assuming that to redo the whole thing all I need are these 2 items? (minus cables and hoses)

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=18A542+01
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=18500KIT+01

Or am I missing some other part which costs another $1200??

if it does cost $1800 then so be it, but for someone who claims to be a stang enthusiast I can't help feel like he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

s.

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:34:24 pm »
hi,

first port of call..would be it to ask for an itemised account...
to understand how the account is made up...
it should show what services he outsourced...
perhaps had your core redone etc....

though in six hours i would like to know where...
also ..it should show some charges...of time he is atempting to charge for...

Offline yianni351

• Stallion
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:54:53 pm »
Hi There,

Is your 66  LHD or RHD?

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:09:02 pm »
i was chating to a supplier the otherday whom could supply and fit air-conditioning for less than that price! a new heater core is about 80-120aud and if they refurb yours its 2-300 rip-off!!! if so his labour is about 200-250 per hour :* ppmurf

Offline scottdogs

• Thoroughbred
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:25:08 am »
It's still LHD.

I actually downloaded a couple of good articles from the mustang monthly site, which between them they cover off replacing the heater core and tidying up the box/plenum so I thought I would buy myself a new core and seal kit and give it a shot myself. Or at least go to another mechanic loaded up with parts and just ask him to fit them. I don't have a garage or driveway so i'd be doing it out in the street but the articles make it look fairly straight forward.

I would actually really love to get air conditioning fitted, who was the supplier? Were they in Sydney?

s.

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:31:42 am »
Scott - i am in melbourne - i was talking to a guy from the mustang place i get parts from he was talking about the heaters and airconditioners - ive got a 65 fastback - it had air conditioning but its been removed - which sucks - so before summer is all gotta go back in! ppmurf

Offline DruDel

• Stallion
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 06:34:48 pm »
scottdogs,

I am in the process of getting mine fixed up with a new plenum.
Its getting done at Boston Smash repairs in Pendle Hill in Sydney. Speak to Brett.

I had the heater box converted (apparently) when the car was cconverted from left hook to right. But the heater box was a half ass job (won't mention the name of the dude) and I purchased a new plenum. When I went to fit the thing it was all wrong. So I needed these guys at Boston Smassh Repairs to fix the heater box and make me a new plenum to suite a RHD car.

I have a brand new LHD plenum if some one is interested in buying it as it is no use to me anymore.

Dru

Offline yianni351

• Stallion
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 07:52:23 pm »
Scottdogs,
I had air cond fitted to my 66 VC Valiant 6 cyl a few years ago by a company called Mobile Car Air in Miranda nsw, they can fit air to nearly any vehicle & do a dam good job of it to boot.
If you can get to northwest suburbs of Sydney, I can give you my advice on your heater.

Offline scottdogs

• Thoroughbred
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 06:14:58 pm »
awesome thanks for the tip on the guys that fit air con. Am going to look into that one to see if I can't get air installed for the summer.

i think with the heater I will just go ahead and buy the seal kit and new plenum from justmustangs  and if these air con guys get back to me with a good price then maybe I can have them fit the heater at the same time.

s.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
$1800 Heater??
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 09:40:25 am »
Why dont you go and see Wayne at carline penrith for a no bullshit answer!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres