66 FB Fairstang project

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 FB Fairstang project  (Read 57687 times)

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2010, 02:34:35 pm »
Originally posted by JC074
I love this post!!!

Well done Scotty :)

Looks like you've gone all out - our resto is literally costing (inc RH conversion) - north of $55K for the '66 vert...and thats with mates rates on a lot of it :) Mind you...like yours its got all new sheet metal in every place! :)

Whats the master plan with the engine?  Just dropping the fairlane donk in?  supercharger? NOS? :)
Im not one for spending heaps on a motor or having a big fuel guzler even thou im an ex mechanic. The 5.0l  efi was in good nic in the fairlane when i was driving it around for 2 years , i will pull the heads new valve stem seals and check things, put in new welsh plugs , pretty it up abit , might put in a mild cam , it has the XR8 computer. As long as it sounds good im happy to just cruise.

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2010, 02:51:02 pm »
awesome!
Rock on!

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2010, 10:49:48 am »
This hands down is the best forum post topic ever..I look fwd to the updates Scott...rock on!

JC
Rock on!

Offline TimR67

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »
Yep lookin good,

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2010, 02:15:28 pm »
Looking good Scott

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2010, 02:15:53 pm »
Thanks! glad you are enjoying.
I have done about 90% of the body prep and all the welding bar the strut twr notching kit which i am about to start . And i will be leaving the rest of the dash conversion untill i refit the motor and wiring harness so i can access the area for the wiring tidy up , and untill i work out how i will fit the trip computer , climate control , stereo and wire up all the switches to look the era. Will be hiding the climate control and maybe stereo inside the full console door. Also will need to make the bottom of the glove box area removable to be able to remove the heaterbox for maintenence and im looking at putting some vents into that area.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »
Scott, put a pair of torque boxes in while you have the chance. Stiffens the car up & will give you the spot to put all the electrical stuff that you need to hide.

Easy to fold up the sections of the boxes, for someone as talented as yourself.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
Quote from: ozbilt link=topic=6440.msg112665#msg112665
Scott, put a pair of torque boxes in while you have the chance. Stiffens the car up & will give you the spot to put all the electrical stuff that you need to hide.

Easy to fold up the sections of the boxes, for someone as talented as yourself.
I have thought about that a couple of times , keep forgetting. Thanks kerry i will. I have had to remake some for a XM falcon so i know how to do it.

Would you believe the only reason its not done is because we dont have any decent metal supplies locally , we used to have but they have all moved or shutdown . I have been out in the mornings 3 times to many different places to get 1.2 mm for the fire wall and i ended up doing it in 1.6mm.
I went out again this morning for some cutting discs and to get 1.8mm or bigger for the torque boxes and the most i could find 1.6mm other than travelling another 20-30 Ks , so will leave it till i go outa town next.

Offline Kosa

• Thoroughbred
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2010, 10:19:08 pm »
gawd i love your work scott...

this thread will be great when my turn comes, keep up the good work!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2010, 02:56:10 am »
This is the towers I notched back in 05 in CA. I could not see any reason (engineering wise) to have that sectioned strip welded up the middle of the tower other than to make it "look" like it was reinforced.

All I did was gusset the lower arm mount as shown to prevent it from twisting under load (something I am sure they did not test).

That was my first & last experience with them, cost me a fortune in rework of their badly designed, poor choice of materials & poorly made product. Note, that is only my experience.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2010, 04:00:55 am »
I would of prefered that cleaner look Kerry , but with my engine bay full up of crap , you wouldnt see it anyway. With the Tower plate behind the reinforcement bar which also goes over the top of the engine mount area , that would be almost 8mm thick , would be quiet strong i would of thought. Anyway im only running a 5.0l and im not too much of a revhead
                  :f

I didnt want to go through any whohaa! when it comes to licencing so i welded it on , and because RRS is engineered in OZ i dont need an engineer to tick it off in WA.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2010, 04:28:33 am »
I would really be surprised if that tower notch has been passed by "engineering" in Australia. The suspension stuff has, but I assume you could not get a notch plate kit like that passed as "engineering" would depend on the weld quality of the installer.

That being said, there is no benefit to that strip up the middle, quite the contrary, it "could" provide a fracture point if not welded correctly. It also does nothing to reinforce the lower arm inner mounting point as the standard tower does.

All this is "mute" in your case as the fabrication is to a very high standard. But as you would know, when selling this stuff you have to build it for the lowest common denominator, that being the USA.

The first big lawsuit from the the US, when it happens, will be interesting.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2010, 04:57:38 am »
I see what you mean by the lower arm mounting point , i only looked at it as a engine mounting , i might put a gusset in too.
I was talking to a local mustang restorer who was doing a RRS set up and notch kit on a 67 and that is what he told me , also i dont need the firewall checked. Anyway thats why i have tons of detailed pics on my computer incase i run into trouble when licencing. Those welds inside the twr and the reinforcement bar i am not smoothing off or covering with underbody deadner so an engineer can check them if needed.

On another note , i will be painting the engine bay tomorrow , or should i say today , its 3am , Bl....dy Insomnia  ;]
And if the weather stays as it is , im guessing i will be painting the body in the next week or so :a

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2010, 07:03:41 am »
Painting, now that will bring the project closer to fruition, well done :( :( :(

PS don't forget the torque boxes... :*

BTW, "back up" those pictures on the computer, too valuable to loose.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2010, 10:15:57 am »
Have all my pics backed up on a external drive which only gets turned on for that and a select lot on photo bucket. Just aswell because my main puter has been down for 2 months and im on a piece of crap old laptop.

Offline Kosa

• Thoroughbred
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2010, 12:52:45 am »
nice work scott :thumb:

the black looks good

Offline ken

• Stallion
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2010, 02:25:36 am »
Scott this is an amazing transformation!!!credit to your abilities,keep up the good work mate regards to you and the family...ken

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2010, 11:57:38 am »
Quote from: ken link=topic=6440.msg118313#msg118313
Scott this is an amazing transformation!!!credit to your abilities,keep up the good work mate regards to you and the family...ken
Cheers Ken , im really enjoying it , although i will enjoy it alot more when i finally get to drive it. Been what , 1 1/2 years since i got it off you. Time fly's Hey!  BTW i finally found a convertible in my price range , another one already landed hear in OZ , heaps of rust and body repairs to do LOL! will be starting that build thread soon and contacting you regarding parts shipment.
Hope you and the family are all doing well and are settled in and not missing OZ too much.  

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:27 pm »
Scott, car looks good. I'm going to have to get my sorry butt around to have a look.
Hurry up and get your parts for the convertible. Kens organising the shipping for my parts.

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2010, 02:56:05 pm »
Quote from: ChilliChadd link=topic=6440.msg118348#msg118348
Scott, car looks good. I'm going to have to get my sorry butt around to have a look.
Hurry up and get your parts for the convertible. Kens organising the shipping for my parts.
Oh crap!! ive run out of mula for now. Got the wifes BMW for sale :smile01:

Offline tasbud

• L Plates
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2010, 05:37:36 pm »
hey mate car looks good cant wait to purchase and start my own project, love the body work mate :smile01: