66 FB Fairstang project

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 FB Fairstang project  (Read 57702 times)

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
66 FB Fairstang project
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:32:24 am »
I love it dude!

Looking fwd to seeing some of theose rhd conversion pics :)

JC :)
Rock on!

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:32:27 pm »
LOL

Patience young petowan :)

the force is strong in you!
Rock on!

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:40:02 pm »
Nice car , not to offend,  but I have to admit I much prefer the orig steel wheels to the wheels you have on there now.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:54:39 pm »
Originally posted by Frank70
Nice car , not to offend,  but I have to admit I much prefer the orig steel wheels to the wheels you have on there now.

Cheers,
Frank.

LOL! I would of liked them on instead aswell but they are not full chrome as they have wheel trims on , one tyre has a bulge , and theyare missing the centre caps. I was going to mention the fairlane rims on , however I have written that i intend to put 16" Speedy Malibu's on it , but because i have done front and rear disc brake conversion the old wheels dont fit. .

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 02:16:35 pm »
Congratulations on a great looking car!
I'm glad your deal went well with Ken...;3

Are you keeping it that light blue? I like it ;z

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:56:19 pm »
Stanglover thanks.
As you will see in my first post , i have chosen a custom black and gunmetal silver type colour which i have test sprayed on the rear quarter to get it right i will put these pics up at a later date.

You will see through my build as i put up pics that the paint hides alot of surprises underneath , not quite as many as yours though ;x But i had the advantage of being able to have a really good look at mine before the purchase as Ken already had a lead light set up for me when i got there , and although it looked good , i have seen enough in many of my old falcons  to know it is too good to be true and took this on knowing that its a 43yo car with layers of paint and bog from previous repairs. Normally i would rather buy a unpainted rusty shell so i wouldnt have to take the paint off and i could see all the damage beforehand.
When i was looking at it , there was signs of rust i could see under the dash corners , very common , small amount in a inner rear quarter , small bubbles on the door corners , a scraped dent on the drivers side door and rear quarter , a mud guard welded on at the bottom to the sill panel and bogged up ( this was the point i knew there was more) and a boot area that looked very iffy.  Later , bits i expected to be rusty , where not , and a bit of major damage to the rear pillar above the vent i did not expect at all and couldnt see untill i started sanding.
My advantage is that i am tackling the job myself and have done enough repairs on my old cars and also did a panel beating coarse at night school  so am not afraid of rust anymore . LOL!

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:08:46 pm »
Well, mine went from looking like this:

[IMG=700x527]http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/GT350_bucket/8.jpg[/IMG]

To now this:

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »
Stanglover Maate! ive watched your threads since you got it , and i know your dissapointed but mate mine is looking the same as yours atm with only one side been painstakenly rubbed down to bare metal and rust and panel work done ready for paint on one side ONLY! and i got mine in October about 4mths before you. There is noway i can afford to pay anyone to do it for me as i stay at home and look after Foster Children and a wife that is not well . But this mustang is all enjoyment for me , i know yours was not as you expected but be patient and just think how much you are going to enjoy driving around in a clean machine that you know is now done properly and finished to your own personal choice.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »
Scott,  I like your style. I too have a '66 FB and it also has a nice 302 from an NC fairlane. I decided to go old school and go with a carby & elect. Ignition. My idea was, get it tidy, get it going & get it on the road & enjoy it. The next stages that are planned will come. I have seen too many good wantabee, some time next time projects sit around and are inevitably sold on with out seeing the road. I admire your commitment to use the whole EFI setup. That's a modern day hot rodder and as it is not for the purist, I think Henry Ford would approve. You are just making it better & safer using genuine Ford parts & and bit of intuition. It will be great to see it on the road.
Cheers
Dave
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:51:27 pm »
Thanks Dave , Yeah might upset some and honestly my mates where stunned that im not going original like i preach . Comes back to what i have available to keep costs down.

Unfinished projects LOL! that would be my other falcons and Uhum! holdens, a FC sedan and a XM wagon with lots of rust has been good practice, however they are not getting sold on . thought! maybe the holdens to finance this project and ill get back to the rest after . And they didnt cost me anything like the stang , this is priority #1.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:28:31 pm »
good on ya. It's good to have a few spare parts on hand. My other toy is an XP coupe (convertable) have a look on  http://www.earlyfalconcarclub.com/Search.aspx?model=XP   My daily driver is a EF XR8 so I can buy my X9 oil filters in bulk now. Putting them together is all part of the fun. Hitting the key when you want is the other.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 10:17:03 pm »
That's sounds like a good buy with the old girls. Looks like a bit of a job with the rust repairs. Is that your handy work with the panel work & the MIG? very neat. At least it will be good for the next 43 years. I have found some small bits of bog in mine but luckly have been were the previous owner was too lazy to fix some panel work. There is a repair I need to do in one of the floors but it's not too bad so I can live with it for now. I was thinking of doing it myself anyway.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59:24 pm »
Excellent work Scott and nice shots. Thanks for sharing.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline USA.P51

• Stallion
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:15:34 am »
Awesome work mate! I love following this thread. I can't believe how good it looks from the before to after with the repairs! Your work is outstanding.
Kurt.
Melbourne, Australia

1972 Mustang Sprint Coupe. 351C 4-Speed B package. White/Red/Blue

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 09:27:00 am »
Originally posted by USA.P51
Awesome work mate! I love following this thread. I can't believe how good it looks from the before to after with the repairs! Your work is outstanding.
Cheers Kurt , im no expert trust me , what would take a panel beater a few hours to get a panel straight can take me 5 times that. I get it to what i think is straight and put some black primer on it , this shows up alot whereas the grey and the yellow primers hide alot. I again use spot putty or if really bad rub back again with a long board , spray putty again and repeat the process. Then again when i think its right put a coat of black top coat or any dark paint to show up more ripples. Continue the process untill satisfied. Of course i could get away with alot more if i went silver instead of black. :f

More top quality previous repairs on rh fender  ;}This was the one welded to the side of the sill underneath the sill chrome moulding.

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »
Good work Scott. It's steaming along.:(
I dug that junk out of the gutters,(yeh I know you told me to leave it but hey, I got bored), not as bad as I thought and all tidied up.

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 05:20:28 pm »
Originally posted by ChilliChadd
Good work Scott. It's steaming along.:(
I dug that junk out of the gutters,(yeh I know you told me to leave it but hey, I got bored), not as bad as I thought and all tidied up.

WHAT! BORED??? When are you coming around to earn some Bundy,s :2 ;+
Did you find any suprises under the UMMM! paint in dem gutters?

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 08:46:38 pm »
I'll popn tommorrow but I'll have the young bock with me. Just gotta run upto Welshpool first thing.

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline dunwood

• Stallion
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 08:37:15 am »
hey, how did you convert the rear end to disc brakes?

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 02:57:26 pm »
Looks good, have you sorted the wipers out yet or we off on another job?;}
come back after a few more Bundies:2

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 03:10:03 pm »
Chainsawing and spliting wood ready for ;1
But i just broke the log splitter and it is after 12 noon , so maybe :2
The problem with the wiper rh coversion Sucks! I think i might just reverse the bonnet scoop and blow warm air on the windscreen. :+

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 03:13:34 pm »
Just got myself a owners manual mate so if you need a look it'll be here in a week

Offline dunwood

• Stallion
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 04:47:06 pm »
Thank you very much scott66stang for your information on the rear disc conversion. If you don't mind telling us, how did you convert the front brakes to disc.

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 05:12:30 pm »
The front are XY stubs , discs and XD calipers which are the same as XY calipers.
I have adapted the Fairlane  booster and master cyl to fit the LHD before coverting to RHD , so i could drive around the block a couple of times to check the engine , gbox and brake conversion .
 Oh! and for the pleasure of having a drive around the block a coulple of times to see if i liked LHD. :+
I will get pics of the booster/MCyl conversion up soon.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
66 FB Fairstang project
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 11:33:30 am »
Originally posted by scott66stang
Chainsawing and spliting wood ready for ;1
But i just broke the log splitter and it is after 12 noon , so maybe :2
The problem with the wiper rh coversion Sucks! I think i might just reverse the bonnet scoop and blow warm air on the windscreen. :+

The wiper conversion is easy for RHD just ask. Those rear brakes look the goods may do that myself.