how to fit gemini booster and xf master cyl? c/w pics

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: how to fit gemini booster and xf master cyl? c/w pics  (Read 11217 times)

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
« on: March 30, 2009, 07:12:04 pm »
hi, can anyone explain how to fit a xf master cylinder to a gemini booster? and how to set it up and bolt onto fire wall?
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »
you'd have to drill some holes - I doubt it would bolt straight up to the fire wall.

what model gemini booster do you have?
TX cars used remote fill reservoirs
TC to TE cars had a horizontal two-bolt arrangement
TF and TG series used an angle bolt master cylinder with a plastic reservoir

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:08:55 pm »
its off a rb gemini and it looks diff on the end where it goes to the pedal
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:24:02 pm »
got a pic of it??

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »
ill get one 2moro for you

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:43:45 am »
I've only ever done the XB swap, which requires cuting the push rod shorter to the pedal, but they do fit the pedal, some holes in the fire wall and some new brake lines. The Gem would be similar but you will also b\need to get the master cylinder push rod right. You may have to fabricate a push rod from your old one and the Gem one.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:43 am »
Hopper stoppers do an adaptor bracket for the XB booster, which bolts right in, and in doing so, shortens the push rod travel.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 04:15:06 pm »
[/URL][/img]
[/img]

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 04:18:35 pm »

[/img]

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:19:28 pm »

[/img]

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 06:14:48 pm »
Ok your going to have to make a new rod/adaptor to fit the pedal, shouldn't too hard. Then just make sure the lenght of the one from the booster to the MC is ok. You could buy a new end from this bloke, but you still may need to shorten the input rod of the booster

http://www.getboosted.com.au/Catalogue.asp

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 03:51:03 pm »
the m/c wont even go into the booster enough to put nuts on, so i think i might have to take another route

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 04:48:18 pm »
As far as I know every one uses an XB unit with the Gem booster but I have heard of guys using a Commodore one, not sure about the later Falcon  ones. It's very common set up for Hot rods. TBS here in Brisbane do it often with the XB MC. This is why I used an entire XB set up.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 05:05:56 pm »
does the xb set up bolt on? what mods?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 05:11:54 pm »
The booster push rod to the pedal is too long,  it needs to shortened and / or the booster needs to spaced  off the firewall. I see above MO said Hopper stoppers do a bracket  to do this which may make this easy. The pivot on the booster push rod matches the mustang pedal.

My car is designed for it all to bolt up as is to an XB pedal box as part of the RHD conversion

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:11 pm »
No I think you can use a Commodore MC with the Gem booster. Personally I prefer a matched set, XB-XB, also because the MC size suits the size of the Falcon brakes.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 09:28:50 pm »
"booster adaptation brackets supplied by Hoppers Stoppers, eg Chev 55-58, Camaro, Mustang 66 to 70"

Have a look at the 2nd page:
http://www.hoppers.com.au/brake%20kits/masters%20boosters%20brackets%20and%20pumps.pdf

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
what a great bunch ok blokes on here and full of info, with everyones wealth of knowledge ill going to give it a go, but watch this space for more stupid questions

cheers rob  

Offline Hisss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46:48 pm »
Best solution - chuck this rubbish in the bin and buy the proper Ford or authentic replacement parts in the can where they belong !

Anybody advocating this gemini/hq/xf mixture is a bozo !

It "may" work for automotive engineers who understand brake issues, but when the "correct" parts are available, to use conjured up solutions is madness.

Is you life worth a lousy few bucks for rubbish?  Mine sure is - went original and it works and it's covered by product supplier insurance.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:01 pm »
;*

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 09:58:32 pm »
Originally posted by Hisss
Is you life worth a lousy few bucks for rubbish?  Mine sure is - went original and it works and it's covered by product supplier insurance.

I agree Hiss, and any  non standard changes should be signed off by an authorised engineer.

Offline Hisss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 10:01:16 pm »
Hi Mo, Nice to hear another member showing some sense on a very serious issue.

;y

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:34 pm »
I dont mind hunting down old parts for my Mussy, but when it came to this, I have a friend with a wrecking yard and I tried in vain to match up this booster with that master cylinder and all it did was give me a headache.
I ended up spending $400 odd bucks on an aftermarket one that is made for Mustangs, bolts straight up without any issues...highly recommended.

James.

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:45 pm »
Hey Boys.
I agree, you don't need to have to explain to the coroner as to the reason behind the brakes faiiling and the death of anybody. Keep it simple and go original.
Cheers.
Ash
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 11:55:47 pm »
Suspect,  try your local parts supplier, and ask them what they stock that suits your application and is legal/or what needs to be done for it to become legal.