Power Steering Conversion - 65 Fastback (Originally 6 Cylinder now V8)

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Power Steering Conversion - 65 Fastback (Originally 6 Cylinder now V8)  (Read 2301 times)

Offline cool66

• Pony
    • www.emmax.com.au
Hi ,

My dad has a 65 fastback which has been converted to RHD. Originally the car had a 6 cylinder and the previous owner converted it a V8 289. My Dad wants to install power steering and we have gone down the track to purchase the same combination as I have in my 66 Coupe (C code V8) and he cannot get it to work. I have an XF Box with an XT pump. Not sure of all the technical issues.

Can anyone advise of a suitable combination for a 65 Fastback (6 cylinder setup). Apparently since the car was original a 6 there are other issues.

Thanks in Advance.
Cheers
Jeff

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
Jeff,
      just because the car was originally a 6 makes no difference.  All the mounting holes are the same.
It only comes down to componant selection.

Stating that he cannot get it to work, doesn't give anyone enough infornmation to help you.

The Xf steer box should work fine, selection of pump is not a serious issue....

more info on the problem is really needed.

Cheers
Jas

Offline cool66

• Pony
    • www.emmax.com.au
Hi Jas,

As you will see by my response, I am not very technical. Hope you know what I am going on about.

I have been given some more info. We have been told that we require a new steering shaft and to use an XA or XB however we need to shorten the sterring column itself. Do you know what bearing we need to use inside the column. The XB column fits into the XF box however the pitman arm on the XF box doesn't have the correct mounting to the existing drag link. I presume that this drag link needs to be changed. Would you know what model will work. I would think some falcon model. Do the Tie Rod ends need replacing?

Regards
Jeff