New Guy. New Car. Help decide

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New Guy. New Car. Help decide  (Read 6791 times)

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:54:35 pm »
Hi people. new to the site, and so far it is very informative.
Hoping you can help me.
It looks as though I have found the car I've been chasing in the USA.;2 Just waiting on a few details. Private buy, and the guy will deliver to the Dock in Long Beach for me.
After searching through and reading some of the horror stories;x on here, I'm looking for a good importer to Handle this for me. If you have any recomendations of who to use, or companies to stay away from, can you PM / U2U me with them? or post here? And may I ask that it be only personal experience, not my best mates, wifes, boyfriend stories !! If there are importers on the boards please feel free message me as well.
On a side note. Can you bring in parts for the car with it, in the cab and such if you declare them?
Thanks in advance, and look forward to getting my baby here!

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:23:45 pm »
What side of the country 69candy?

Offline spud

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:30:32 pm »
Dont use BROCKS.
damage to car in container. Denied.

spud

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:15 pm »
Damm First post and mucked up. I'm on the SA/Vic border. I have heard I'm best to go through Melbourne as it will be cheaper than Adelaide??

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:54:09 pm »
Last time I enquired in September 08, www.schumachercargo.com were US$1550 to Melbourne. People have posted Loch M. Fraser are good local Customs people in melb to clear it on arrival. Maybe speak to them before organising the US end.

Remember you must have an Import Permit from DOTARS befor shipping, and any aircon gas decanted in the States with certification. Also a steam clean, there or here. Suggest you don't put stuff in the boot, as light fingered people automatically look there for freebies.

I've opened the boot of a car arriving from London with stuff stashed for free shipment, and empty as a con man's promise.

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:26 am »
I agree with 66RedRagtop on using Schumakers. They are professional and deliver as promised. They may be a few $ more, but well worth it. As for customs clearance, it really depends what else is shipped in the container - if it is the car on its own, then you can decide who will clear it through customs - if it is an FCL then it could end up anywhere in Melbourne - and then you are at the mercy of the local guys to open the container and remove the car.

Good luck with it all and welcome to the exclusive club of Mustang ownership. By the way, what have you bought?

Peter

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:31:14 am »
Red71, I'll let you know when the deal is sealed. Hopefully by early next week all going well. I take it I need a copy of the Title in my name to apply for the import permit??
And thankyou for the replies so far. Keep them comming.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:25:17 pm »
You dont need the title to get import approval. Just the Make, Model, Year & VIN. Fax the form with your CC details & approval arrives in a few weeks.

I am using Titan Shipping for mine ( www.titanship.com ) so far they have been really good. The car is in Sydney now awaiting customs etc. Hopefully I will be able to get it Tommorow or Monday. Customs agent is Frank Todero

Dominion Freight Logistics Pty Ltd
52 Lillee Crescent
Tullamarine  Vic 3043
frank@dominionfreight.com
Phone:  61 3 9338 8555
Fax:      61 3 9338 8655

Frank has been good to deal with so far as well. When I get my car I guess I will know for sure if the services were up to scratch.

The biggest hassle with mine was the escrow service & the continental shipping (Texas to LA) the guy I bought the car off didnt help much once his money arrived.