Power Steering Conversion - 66 coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Power Steering Conversion - 66 coupe  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Telopea

• Pony
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:58:26 pm »
I have a RHD 66 coupe with 289 & manual steering and would like to install power steering.  The obvious option is to cut down a falcon drag link and install the old ram and control valve system, however I would like to use a later style system eg XA XB power steering box and keep the existing manual drag link and tie rods.  I believe that a longer steering box shaft may also be required. Has anyone else used this system ?  Are their any other alternatives/later vehicle which might be suitable ?

I would appreciate some advice.  Many Thanks !

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 05:28:58 pm »
hi,

i went down a similar path in the end i installed an rrs rack...
one of the great things i love about there rack is that is mounted in the factory holes...
other conversioons weld in tubes and drill other holes in the chasssi there sysytem use original holes ...

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:58 pm »
G'day,
   as your car has already been converted, the factory holes will now be missing.
I am not sure if RRS can provide brackets to suit converted cars or not, but it won't hurt to ask  (i somehow doubt it, as most converters use different drilling templates.

As for which power steer box, use an XF power unit  (rebuilt of course)  For the pump you have a few options.  Personally i like the EA-EL pumps, as with  little modification you can use the 6 cylinder bracket as well....windsor of cleveland.

Cheers
Jas

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:50:16 pm »
I have an RRS manual R&P fitted to my converted car, as Jas says the original holes are probably welded over as mine were. I dont think the brackets were altered, but the original holes were redrilled.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 06:44:45 am »
Factory holes mine were still threr just some extra ones put in...
your holes weill still be threre maybe just welded over...the weld in tubes wont be missing...

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 06:51:18 am »
castlemaine rod shop also do a neat conversion using some falcon bits and there one cast drag link

Offline Telopea

• Pony
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »
Gents,  
Yes, the holes on the RHS have been welded over.    Thanks for all the good advice.  I will now look into my options and make a few more enquiries.  Thanks Again,  Telopea.