wanna take my stang with me to adelaide.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: wanna take my stang with me to adelaide.  (Read 7950 times)

Offline stang_stallion

• P Plates
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:48 am »
hows it goin people!
well, my name is jonathan mendoza, i write you guys from the biggest city in the world, mexico city.
the thing is like this, i was in australia for bsuiness purposes during a while and i met this real hot australian-portuguese girl and well, we fall in love, she came to mexico for a while with me then and we decided to marry.
so, i guess im goin to australia to live, we will live in adelaide where her family lives and soon to open my business.
the thing is that i dont wanna sell my loved 2005 mustang gt, im gonna sell my other cars but not my mustang coz some reasons like
1.-there are not much stangs in australia and if u manage to get one they are much more expensive than in the united states or mexico.
2.-my car is really really nice lol.

anyway, i hope u guys can help me with some information of how can i take my car with me, the thing im thinkin to do is to take it with me to Los Angeles California in the States and from there ship it to australia.
but what are the cost to ship a car form the US to austalia, and who can i do it with? which permisses do i need and also...my carĀ“s steerin wheel is opposite to the cars in australia...can i still import it?

by the way, sorry for any bad spelling or bad english, my first language is spanish, but i try to speak english lol, specially if the girl i lvoe is english speaker.

thank you and i hope u guys can help me!

GRACIAS!

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:30:08 am »
Hola Jonathan and welcome.

Shipping your car from LA would be about US$2000 - maybe less. You would normally have to pay duty and taxes when it lands in Australia, but since you owned it there already, I believe you will pay less. maybe someone else can confirm that.

But I think the hardest part is converting the steering which I am quite sure you will have to do.
There is only one place I know that does a good job on the newer cars and they charge about AU$30-35k. There maybe others that I dont know about.

Good luck !
Frank.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:59:07 am »
Well Jonathon you need to get this absolutely right, with precise information, including evacuation of aircon gases before leaving.                                                                                                                                                  

Any oversights and the car could be either held by Customs or be unable to be registered.

Also you'll need to know whether you can register it as a left hand drive car in South Australia, or need an expensive RHD conversion.

I suggest you pop into the Australian Embassy in Mexico City and ask them if they can get all that information for you, on the basis that you intend emigrating here permanently.

You will need to establish if you can export a Mexico owned car from the USA too.

And in regard to shipping costs, slow boats that wander all over the place are cheaper, but I suggest paying a bit extra for a fast boat that sails directly to Australia.

A long time Mustang enthusiast and importer in South Australia who runs a shipping service from Oakland, Calif to Adelaide, might be able to help. Email Phil Hart at <realcars@bigpond.com>

Then everything will go smoothly, and you should avoid any headaches.

Best wishes, and enjoy our wonderful country.

Offline stang_stallion

• P Plates
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 02:25:19 pm »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
Well Jonathon you need to get this absolutely right, with precise information, including evacuation of aircon gases before leaving.                                                                                                                                                  

Any oversights and the car could be either held by Customs or be unable to be registered.

Also you'll need to know whether you can register it as a left hand drive car in South Australia, or need an expensive RHD conversion.

I suggest you pop into the Australian Embassy in Mexico City and ask them if they can get all that information for you, on the basis that you intend emigrating here permanently.

You will need to establish if you can export a Mexico owned car from the USA too.

And in regard to shipping costs, slow boats that wander all over the place are cheaper, but I suggest paying a bit extra for a fast boat that sails directly to Australia.

A long time Mustang enthusiast and importer in South Australia who runs a shipping service from Oakland, Calif to Adelaide, might be able to help. Email Phil Hart at <realcars@bigpond.com>

Then everything will go smoothly, and you should avoid any headaches.

Best wishes, and enjoy our wonderful country.

hey, thanks for the info.
u got some good points to look at.
im gonna contact the person u told me, coz i am really interested to take my car with me.
and i tell you, i will enjoy your wonderful country, the time i was there i realized lots of things like, australia might not be a great country to do business like in america or mexico, but its a great country to live, much more better than america or mexico. it is a safe peaceful country, it is clean, no corruption, i mean, my fiance and me we had a big talk bout either she cuming with me to mexico or me going to go with her to australia, and we decided australia for our children.
it will mean to start again pretty much from zero but i think is worth it.;_

anyway, thank you a lot my friend.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »
Well by chance our younger son is in Acapulco at the moment, and having so much fun he doesn't want to come home.

Guess there will soon be a new Mexican Hot Chilli outlet in Adelaide, with a slick late model Mustang parked out the front.

Offline matttyler

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:32:39 pm »
Hi Jonathon.

Its fantasic that you are coming to Adelaide. You will have a chance of affording a house etc etc Lol.

The only down side to Adelaide AKA Adders is that the LHD reg here is very strict in that they allow no modification from the orig specs. No prob if you meet that. But in your import cost you might want to consider the possible re build to meet our LHD reg rules. Esp if thats your only mode of transport.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:18:51 pm »
stang_stallion

You wont be allowed to import ya mussy mate.

there are ONLY 2 ways here to do it.
1. Import it under a non ozzy VISA. car can be used only if your here for a short time. Then the car must leave at the end of your VISA. Your staying so thats not gonna help you.

2. The other way is get someone that is an Ozzie that lives in the states to register the car in there name for a period of 12 months but they must live in the states for that 12 months and they may charge you anything from $5000 - $10,000AUD to do this.

I live in Florida so gives a quick tingle on 727 364 8707 and I can go into more depth with you about what options you have. I have a lot of tricks up my sleve.

In 4 months, Shermatt International will be moving into our new facility and we will be offering RHD conversions for all model mustangs including the 05-08

As for your second language. Ozzie's dont speak English mate. The english you have learnt in the states, you might as well throw that down the sh!@#r.

As youve allready probably learnt by being there, we have words that descride a whole situation or an event and we can make 6 words sound like one.

Good luck with ya move mate. Hope it all pans out for ya.

Where abouts in Adelaide are you moving??

Cheers
Matt
727 364 8707

Offline stang_stallion

• P Plates
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:05 am »
Originally posted by matttyler
Hi Jonathon.

Its fantasic that you are coming to Adelaide. You will have a chance of affording a house etc etc Lol.

The only down side to Adelaide AKA Adders is that the LHD reg here is very strict in that they allow no modification from the orig specs. No prob if you meet that. But in your import cost you might want to consider the possible re build to meet our LHD reg rules. Esp if thats your only mode of transport.

Cheers
Matt

hows it goin mmatttyler!
thanks for the info and yeah, adelaide is quite cheap compared to sydney lol.
my friend, would u mind explainin the LHD reg rules? and what do you mean with no modifications?
my car has no modifications as in bodykits or make it lower, it just has some extra things in the looks but thats bout it.

here in these links u can see some pics of my pony:

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/stang_stallion/Imagen026.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/stang_stallion/Imagen034.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/stang_stallion/Imagen036.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/stang_stallion/Imagen056.jpg

thats about it, thanks my friend,

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 07:54:47 am »
Remember the car is a 2005. Its not quite 30 years old yet so it will need to be converted to RHD...

James.

Offline matttyler

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 08:50:44 pm »
Sorry mate........ a bit of Australian for you. This will come in handy trust me !!!!

I thought you were talking vintage Mustang. A 2005 can`t be reg LHD in Aust. You will need to convert it to RHD then do all the stuff Shermatt was talking about.

Nothing is impossible if you can afford it !!!!

Cheers
Matt

Offline ScottQLD

• Worked
    • http://www.stangtv.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 05:59:07 pm »
Originally posted by Shermatt
stang_stallion

In 4 months, Shermatt International will be moving into our new facility and we will be offering RHD conversions for all model mustangs including the 05-08

Hey Shermatt.

We have spoken b4 and im delighted to see that you will be delving into this field of RHD conversions.. One thing i do hope is that your prices will be more reasonable then what is currently being charged..
There is a real market for what you will do. But most average jo's like me can't justify paying more for the conversion then the actual car... Well Done and good luck.. Who knows i could be standing in your workshop one day getting my mussy converted...  mmmmmmm :-)

Offline stang_stallion

• P Plates
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:06:57 pm »
stang_stallion

1. Import it under a non ozzy VISA. car can be used only if your here for a short time. Then the car must leave at the end of your VISA. Your staying so thats not gonna help you.

2. The other way is get someone that is an Ozzie that lives in the states to register the car in there name for a period of 12 months but they must live in the states for that 12 months and they may charge you anything from $5000 - $10,000AUD to do this.

I live in Florida so gives a quick tingle on 727 364 8707 and I can go into more depth with you about what options you have. I have a lot of tricks up my sleve.

As for your second language. Ozzie's dont speak English mate. The english you have learnt in the states, you might as well throw that down the sh!@#r.

As youve allready probably learnt by being there, we have words that descride a whole situation or an event and we can make 6 words sound like one.

Good luck with ya move mate. Hope it all pans out for ya.

Where abouts in Adelaide are you moving??

Cheers
Matt
727 364 8707

n how much would a RHD conversion cost? i was lookin at some and i was so shoked to see that the conversion costed pretty much the same as my car.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 11:05:46 pm »
Well there charging roughly $14 -$18K USD dollars for an 05-08 here that would convert to about the same (if not more than there depending on exchange rates)

And I just cant entertain those prices either fellas.

As for the older cars 64-68, thats where we are going to putting our efforts into but due to demand from New Zealand and the UK, we will be doing the 05-08 mussies. Price at the moment is definately calculated at about $9k.

We will have a better grasp on things in the next 4-6 months...maybe sooner if we can get passed local County/council approvals for the workshop.

We ahve also incorperated a new restoration facility for our overseas clients in germany and sweden etc.

Called the "The Ozzie Dingo" we will have a website dedicated to our clients cars, the restoartions progress and a special link that shows people HOW TO DO a RHD conversion. All the helpful tips hints and special tricks with very discriptive intructions with tons of step by step photographs that allows the everyday fella to have a crack at it themselves.

The link to www.ozziedingo.com will be on our website with in the next month....it is the little flag flappin on our home page saying "the ozzie pub"

Keep an eye on it, should be soon

Matt

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:29:50 am »
stang_stallion

Hi Shermatt.

Why would he need to take the car to the States at all??? I have had Aussie mates living Europe who have imported their cars after living and working there for more than 12 months. In fact, if he marries an Aussie girl and obtains residency, he should be able to import His car. Worse case scenario, his soon to be wife is an Aussie. He can transfer it to her name and bring it 12 months down the track.

Offline ScottQLD

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:12:48 pm »
Hey Shermatt... US$9K for conversion?? is that on a new or older model?  If  thats ball park figure for New one then you will get heaps of business from all over due to people wanting new ones!! Its easy to get an old one as we can drive em LHD here and in many other countries..   ;2

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »
Originally posted by Red71
stang_stallion

Hi Shermatt.

Why would he need to take the car to the States at all??? I have had Aussie mates living Europe who have imported their cars after living and working there for more than 12 months. In fact, if he marries an Aussie girl and obtains residency, he should be able to import His car. Worse case scenario, his soon to be wife is an Aussie. He can transfer it to her name and bring it 12 months down the track.

red71.

HE CAN NOT import the car....even if he gets married to an ozzie. even if he marries an ozzi and owns it for 12 months...HE STILL CAN NOT IMPORT IT. However,

If she regos it in her name and LIVES in the USA for the period of that 12 months...she can, with her AUSTRALIAN passport. Just because hes married to an Austrailian does not allow him to import under the Import scheme for personal import as He is not australian.

Stang stalion.

The ONLY way that car is goin with ya mate is if she moves to the USA for 12 months, you import it under the RAWS scheme or you do it under a transitional VISA...or bring it in your suit case OR pay someone to rego it here for 12 months that has an Ozzie passport.

THATS IT

sorry matey

Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 01:31:19 pm »
Originally posted by ScottQLD
Hey Shermatt... US$9K for conversion?? is that on a new or older model?  If  thats ball park figure for New one then you will get heaps of business from all over due to people wanting new ones!! Its easy to get an old one as we can drive em LHD here and in many other countries..   ;2

Hey Scotty

yeah 9k seems to be what were lookin at brother but dont hold me to that juat yet. Thats just scetchin the man hours so far and NZ/UK orders to date.

We will keep ya posted mate

Matt

Offline stang_stallion

• P Plates
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 01:46:55 pm »
stang_stallion

Hi Shermatt.

red71.

HE CAN NOT import the car....even if he gets married to an ozzie. even if he marries an ozzi and owns it for 12 months...HE STILL CAN NOT IMPORT IT. However,

If she regos it in her name and LIVES in the USA for the period of that 12 months...she can, with her AUSTRALIAN passport. Just because hes married to an Austrailian does not allow him to import under the Import scheme for personal import as He is not australian.

Stang stalion.

The ONLY way that car is goin with ya mate is if she moves to the USA for 12 months, you import it under the RAWS scheme or you do it under a transitional VISA...or bring it in your suit case OR pay someone to rego it here for 12 months that has an Ozzie passport.

THATS IT

sorry matey

Matt

someone with a shiping service told me that i can actually take my car with me if i do the RH conversion!
is that true?
i mean, if its true i deff will b ur customer man, coz i wanna take that car with me.

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 06:48:53 pm »
stang_stallion

Hi Shermatt.

red71.

Stang stalion.

THATS IT

sorry matey

Matt

Hi Shermatt.

I know you import cars for a living, however:

1. You DO NOT have to have an Aussie Passport to import a car - a permanent resident can import one as well.

2. The car DOES NOT have to be registered in the USA. Where does the legislation state that the car has to be owned and registered in the USA?

Here is part of the info from the Dotars website.

"To be eligible for a personal import the following mandatory criteria must be satisfied:

the vehicle has been owned and used by the applicant for a continuous period of at least 12 months (3 months where ownership and use of the vehicle commenced before 8 May 2000);
at the time the vehicle is imported, the applicant is:
i. an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; or
ii. a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident;
the applicant is of an age that entitles him or her to hold a licence or a permit to drive a road vehicle of that type;
the applicant undertakes to comply with any requirements as to road safety that are imposed in respect of the vehicle by the Administrator; and
the applicant has not imported a road vehicle owned by him/her within the year ending on the day on which the vehicle in respect of which the application is made is landed in Australia"

If he marries an Aussie girl and intends to move here and start a business, he will need to obatin permanent Australian residency before he can move here, once he obtains residency - he CAN import under the 'personal import scheme'.

Red71

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 10:47:30 pm »
Shermatt seems to have issues with persons of hispanic origin??????
Seems to me that the issue of bringing in a private import is getting blown out of hand .
More important that fact rather than anything else is put to the fore.
Red 71 seems to have done some research prior to making noise and good on him:i:i:i

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 12:25:45 am »
Red71,

Im not disagreeing with you, I also read that before I posted but he wants to bring the vehicle with him now.

i. an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; or
ii. a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident;

Resident and citizen is two different things

although he will apply to become a permanent resident over the next few weeks/months it will take him a good 9-12  months before he gets his permanent residency. Then he can apply for a personal import MAYBE.(with his situation)

Your on the money with the above information. And I comend you for throwing it up there but he is neither an Australian resident just yet and wont be for a good 12 months and wont be an Australian citizen for 3 years.

Thats why I suggested the residency VISA with the car..thats not what its called but its something like that.

Now the reason my answer was so breif was at the very top, is I suggested for him to give me a call as its very lengthy to describe a process like this because of his situation.

Its not as easy as whats on DOTARS. I know the ins and outs of the above as Sheri is applying for her temporary residency as we speak and the first thing I did was look into this....and she cant bring her car with her.

She needs to get her residency approved first. Then she can own a car in the states for a period of 12 months aslong as she is in the states for that period (with a passport that  reflects this) Mexico would be the same deal

He does not have to obtain permanent residency to move to Australia. If hes mariried to an Ozzie or plans to in the next few months, he can stay there aslong as he wants untill the paper work is processed.

Once processed, he then has to move back to the states(sorry mexico) for a period of MIN 9 months and then he can fly back home and wait the other 3 months out in OZ(thats just a maybe on the 9 months but they require 12)....then he can apply for a personal import as he has some form of Australian identification...All up coould be anything from 1-2 years before he gets his mustang.

Thats just what DOTARS states, however, he may be able to contact them, explain his situation and they may grant it to him, but thats just a big maybe.

As far as they are concerned, he is from another country.

As for USA, registering it...sorry...I meant mexico. I forgot thats where he was posting from. Lets rewrite that. If shes moves to MEXICO for 12 months and regos it her name, the title is CLEAR (they own it outright) she can fly back to oz and apply for personal import when her passport reaches the 12 month time lapse. However, they could get pi55y if she comes back early and doesnt sit out the full 12 months. Thats the QUICKEST WAY

I spoke to DOTARS 4-5 weeks ago in regards to this. I can own a car here for 12 months and they will allow me to fly out of the country to lets say spain for a holiday for say 5 weeks, and it will not effect my personal import application for the car Im doing right now. Aslong as the holdiays dont exeed more than 3 months, the admistrator wont have a problem with that. However, I must stay here for the full 12 months....then, I can apply for personal import and I must photo copy every page of my passport showing I have lived in another country for a period of 12 FULL months with my application

Long and short of it, Red71's facts are correct.

You must be an Australian Citizen or a temp resident to apply.

You must prove that at the point of becoming a resident or citizen that you have lived in another country (after you have been approved) for 12 months and you are returning to Australia with your car.

Red71. You are right

He just wants to move here now and bring his car so he can be with his wife to be. (Congratulations by the way) He has to be a resident for 2 years before he can apply to be a citizen. he has to wait 9-12 months before his residency paperwork takes affect and clears him as a permanent resident...its avery long (goverment) process. then he has to prove that he has lived in another country, Outside Australia for 12 months....

Jmd1. Its got nothing to do with hispanic people...I have a few good mates here that are hispanic and a few back home aswell. I wouldnt offer for him to ring me if I had issues with that. They are the friendliest people I know. Sheris best friend is Hispanic. Im sort of curious why you would think that?

sorry if I offended anyone, was just offering him my help with the information I know in his situation.

Offline ScottQLD

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 08:39:04 pm »
 [/quote]

Hey Scotty

yeah 9k seems to be what were lookin at brother but dont hold me to that juat yet. Thats just scetchin the man hours so far and NZ/UK orders to date.

We will keep ya posted mate

Matt [/quote]

Sweeeet.....   :p