timing
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:21:23 am »
step 2 any suggestions

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:52:38 am by T-CODE KID »

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
timing belt not done ..now wat ???????
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:32:45 am »
Get them to show you the old belt, if they dont take it to a independent mechanic, not a mate or anyone you know, so you get a truly independent opinion, if that mechanic agrees with you take it to your local ombudsman, if they cant help good ole tabloid tv, eg. A.C.A dealerships hate negative publicity, oh yea as angry as these crooks make you, dont go down there yelling and screaming. if it goes to court they could turn that back on you.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:57:49 am »
I'd go to the Service Manager yourself with your account in hand, and express your doubts that the belt was replaced, and explain the logic of your reasons. Be very civil, as this is just the first port of call, and it might get sorted there and then.

If you don't want them to do the job after being gypped, suggest that a refund would be appropriate.

If they dig in, then you mention to the Service Manager that you intend to now make a formal complaint to Hyundai. He won't let on, but he'll be crapping himself, because the dealer's contract with the factory will be to trade ethically, and not endanger the good name of Hyundai.

Make a phone call to Hyundai and ask to speak to the Customer Service Manager, or someone high up, and explain what happened. Always be polite and you'll be amazed how people respond. Try to avoid the clerical level, as they just pass it up the line.                                                                                                                                              

Other than the first service, I never ever go near the dealer again. You just get an apprentice doing the work, but pay top dollar. Try and pick out a reliable local workshop who is often half the price of a dealer, and their stamp in the service book does not void your warranty, by law.

Let us know how you go, and there's more if need be.

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:13:03 pm »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
I'd go to the Service Manager yourself with your account in hand, and express your doubts that the belt was replaced, and explain the logic of your reasons. Be very civil, as this is just the first port of call, and it might get sorted there and then.

If you don't want them to do the job after being gypped, suggest that a refund would be appropriate.

If they dig in, then you mention to the Service Manager that you intend to now make a formal complaint to Hyundai. He won't let on, but he'll be crapping himself, because the dealer's contract with the factory will be to trade ethically, and not endanger the good name of Hyundai.

Make a phone call to Hyundai and ask to speak to the Customer Service Manager, or someone high up, and explain what happened. Always be polite and you'll be amazed how people respond. Try to avoid the clerical level, as they just pass it up the line.                                                                                                                                              

Other than the first service, I never ever go near the dealer again. You just get an apprentice doing the work, but pay top dollar. Try and pick out a reliable local workshop who is often half the price of a dealer, and their stamp in the service book does not void your warranty, by law.

Let us know how you go, and there's more if need be.

Agree with you totally 66 Red Ragtop, my comments should be taken into account if your dealings with the dealership as described by 66 Red Ragtop fail in the first instance:(

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:13:48 pm »
I don't know why you guys think that dealers are rip off's, I know first hand that they don't.

BTW, are you sure your looking at the cam belt, and not your old drive belt???

A dealer wouldn't NOT change a cam belt! And the price seems fair to me, for a Hyundai.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 07:34:59 pm »
At dealers you generally pay top dollar for a 2nd year apprentice to do the job.  I take my new cars to a reputable mechanic who does service book work and does a better job at a cheaper price, with better service.  (Not kept waiting in line for hours, car never ready etc etc)
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:36:01 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
I don't know why you guys think that dealers are rip off's, I know first hand that they don't.

BTW, are you sure your looking at the cam belt, and not your old drive belt???

A dealer wouldn't NOT change a cam belt! And the price seems fair to me, for a Hyundai.

Tended to agree with you before i got ripped of by a dealership, but i suppose i should not let my bad experiences reflect on all dealers, so point taken BLKPNY:(

But i have to say my friendly local bloke put a new serpintine belt in my wifes Peugeot v6 for a 100 bucks, the dealer wanted 600. I suppose they have larger overheads and have to use stuff in the original box.

Offline T-CODE KID

• Worked
  • Name: https://www.
timing belt not done
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:16 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
I
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:53:21 am by T-CODE KID »

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:11:26 am »
$1200 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could almost restore a Hyundai for that......:w

Actually,

Cant ya buy them new for that??????:+

Im with 66red, that boy is full of wisdom.

By the way, heres those 67-68 back up lamps (2nd hand)

You can have em for free..just gotta pay fo the postage....U2U me ya addy and I,ll get ya a price on monday or tuesday I(my time)...if ya needs anythang else to throw in the box....let me know and I chase it for you.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:37:59 am »
with some very fine 3M steel wool and some polish they,ll come up like new.

U2U me ady and post code and I,ll geta price for ya to post em.:f

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:13:52 am »
Originally posted by T-CODE KID

then who does do the cam belts if not the dealer ,?

wat they take it round the corner to a back-yarder?

i used to do em on camiras and vl commodores all the time ......cant be that hard

information,tools ,concentration elbow grease ,self satisfation,job done ,

a coupla beers
ahhhhhhhhh

Read Carefully..... Wouldn't NOT. They Would Not Not change it, Double negative.

You will write off a motor having 1 break, which is big bucks anywhere you go.

The job is a lot more complex on newer cars, then the old VL and Camira!

We are a Peugeot/Holden/Suzuki dealer, we do lots of cam belts from scratch after the "local" mechanic didn't lock the cams with the proper tools!!

We also sell our Peugeot/Holden cam belts and other service parts (filters, Pads, Rotors) to the Locals, as ours are cheaper, and fit.

You pay $100 - $120 labour for a 2nd year apprentice to do the service work, but he is guided by the 10 year plus experienced techs and foremen who are all factory trained for diagnosis, on only those particular car. That is stuff that the "local" cannot get from his Repco or Vacc training, on all models.

YMMV
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor