FLowmaster mufflers

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: FLowmaster mufflers  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
FLowmaster mufflers
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:33:24 pm »
Any of you folks using flowmaster mufflers?  Am contemplating getting some "40 Series Delta Flow" or "Super 40 Series" mufflers on the fastback (which is a little quiet for my liking) to give it an aggressive sound.  If any of you have them are you happy with them and what is the interior resonance like?  Can i get an Aussie brand muffler to do the same job.

Cheers

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:55:11 pm »
I have a pair of Hookers on mine, sounds Tuff as!
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:08:41 am »
Magnaflow Mufflers, try using 9" x 4" x 14" offset / centre mufflers for more ground clearance. Very aggressive note depending on size off engine, etc. Can be expensive but they have a lifetime warranty.
Lukey Race Mufflers are fully welded construction, but only carry a 5 year warranty. Both of these brands of mufflers are "glass packs" with the Magnaflows using 'rockwool type fibreglass for longevity.
Flowmaster & Hooker mufflers are a good quality muffler but most don't contain fibreglass which helps to keep resonance down. Whatever sports mufflers you choose they will all resonate internally to different degree's. There are not to many Aussie mufflers to match. Even from the USA a lot are made in China

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:57:29 am »
My vert drives me nuts with the resonance of the twin system on rainy days when the top's up, yet the note is a perfect V8 burble when the top's down.

There's plenty of insulation under the carpets.

I can put up with the extra noise in the front footwell from the pacemakers, but the exhaust drone sounds like the new diff's already on the way out.

Second muffler shop had a look, and said it's all good, so no joy there.

Someone mentioned to fit an exhaust clamp half way along each pipe between the H balancer and the muffler, so I'll try that tomorrow, then give it a whirl.

Seems the racket comes up from behind the rear seat, which is only flimsy vynil on a vert, whereas a coupe has a solid metal parcel tray. Might try and double insulate the boot floor over the diff, if the clamp idea doesn't work.

Offline mjb0015

• Worked
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:32:37 am »
Yeh I have flowmasters on my 69 Mach1, it sounds really great especially when the carbi opens up.

mjb

Offline 67390

• Stallion
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:26 pm »

yep i run flowmasters love them love the sound just a bit worried i wont be able to find replacements in australia when they wear out.;]:(

Offline stuie87

• Worked
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:00 pm »
How much are we talking for a set for a vert?

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:09:02 pm »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
My vert drives me nuts with the resonance of the twin system on rainy days when the top's up, yet the note is a perfect V8 burble when the top's down.

There's plenty of insulation under the carpets.

I can put up with the extra noise in the front footwell from the pacemakers, but the exhaust drone sounds like the new diff's already on the way out.

Second muffler shop had a look, and said it's all good, so no joy there.

Someone mentioned to fit an exhaust clamp half way along each pipe between the H balancer and the muffler, so I'll try that tomorrow, then give it a whirl.

Seems the racket comes up from behind the rear seat, which is only flimsy vynil on a vert, whereas a coupe has a solid metal parcel tray. Might try and double insulate the boot floor over the diff, if the clamp idea doesn't work.

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
FLowmaster mufflers
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:35:28 pm »
An exhaust clamp just clamped onto a pipe won't make any difference to an exhaust drone.
I don't know how to link sites to this posting but have a look at this technical site.........
"Walker Product Support"   Click on ------- 'Controlling the products of combustion'