reading
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:50:07 am by T-CODE KID »

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
sorry guys ...................
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 08:38:28 pm »
Nothing wrong with Peter Brock, he had no allegiances to GM, it was more a case of whoever paid his bills, or let him drive.

And he may have been a great driver, but not above anyone else.

Mark Skaife has shown a great driver in the best team, is unbeatable, even though he is not as good as Lowndes (when they were paired together at HRT, he was never as quick). Although the pressures of owning HRT has certainly taken their toll on Skaife.

So Brocky was a great driver, in the best team, in the founding years of the race, with Muscle cars. Of course his record is unbeaten, but that doesn't make him the best, only statisticly.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:02:25 pm »
I agree with BLKPNY, Brocky WAS a legend in his own time, but not just for his driving skill but for his attention to detail and his devotion to his fans. There were a number of drivers who were as successful, just not so lucky on the Mountain! For example Pete Geoghan still holds Australian records for race wins and state championship wins in one season in his 65 coupe.
Cheers, Ron B

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:08:37 pm »
I was and always will be a Brock fan, but you've gotta remember he had to show brand loyalty to the company he drove for. When he was driving a VK commodore, his team mate was ALLAN MOFFAT! also in a commode! Good for me because I'm an even bigger fan of Allan Moffat!
Ron B

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »
I'm not real sure. He was too diplomatic to come out with that info while he was being paid for his opinion. It would be interesting to know though!

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:32:20 pm »
Originally posted by T-CODE KID
ortohh oooh  this is like a
 makye be diva vs phar lap thingo

anyways i do recall he said "he wouldnt back a ford out the driveway"

and years later drove for ford and from wat i recall
( not up to that page yet)
it was a fizzer  

Sounds like a lot of fine cotton!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:14:55 pm »
Reminds me of a episode of Burke's back yard, a month or two after Lowndes left HRT, blow me down in his garage was a mk 2 Cortina Gt, as the story goes, that in his contract he had to keep the ford in his garage, under cover and definitely not drive it. Any body own a Brock Falcon?

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:16:57 pm »
Originally posted by T-CODE KID
so wat was his true brand loyalty / favourite?

I think you will find that the loyalty went to the company that paid the bills. (an asset somewhat overlooked these days).

At the end of the day he was a professional racing driver and needed a car to race.
JMTBW.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »
A mate has a Brock EA Falcon, with a 6 throttlebody 200rwkw 6 cylinder! No Turbo!

Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:52:50 am »
I got that book for Chrissy too and Im a BIG BROCK fan. Furthermore, I agree, Brock was a legend in his own era. His record speaks for itself. In my eyes, he will always be an Aussie Legend. Good on ya Brocky.
At the end of it all, I dont really care if he wore red or blue, the truth is that he bought many years of enjoyment and professionalism to motor racing and he was loved by everyone.

Its funny you know, in our garage we have a 66 Mustang and an L34 Torana. Sometimes I look at them and think, who cares what badge they have on them, I just love driving and racing them.

Cheers

John
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline paulr

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:55:31 am »
I think the "legends of yesterday" drove whatever they could get their bums into but I feel that todays young guns seem to drive with their bank accounts in mind.But that is the way motor racing seems to be heading IMO!

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:34:35 pm »
Well of course Brocky was groomed by the best race car preparer in the land....the Silver Fox, Harry Firth.

I've been to Harry's a couple of times, and the story of Brocky and the various Bathurst wins is just mind boggling.

You can only judge Brocky's driving ability by his record, but he was truly exceptional. Brocky's race face concentration was sort of like going into a trance, such was his sheer determination to win. For instance, when he sold the little Austin with the red Holden donk that he built and started racing in, no later owner could get within cooee of his times.

And his tremendous PR ability also counted for a lot too, as he brought droves of paying customers through the turnstiles.

I saw all the star touring car drivers from the late 60's/70's in their prime, and I'd go big Pete Geoghegan, Peter Brock, Norm Beechey, Allan Moffat, then Skaifey, Lowndes etc from the next generation.

Incidently, Norm Beechey's 64.5 Mustang won the first race for a Mustang anywhere in the world, right here in Melbourne.

But the good old days are still right now.......all that's changed is a bit less thatch on the old dome.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:45:14 pm »
I'm right there with you 66red! in all aspects! Did you know that when Pete Geoghan sold his 65, the new owner actually thought pete had swapped out the engine 'caus he couldn't get the times out of it that pete could, so Pete jumped straight into the car and went out and set a new lap record! Also, shortly after it was restored, Pete drove his old 65 at Calder, he was70 yrs old, and broke his last lap record time he'd set in that same car in 1966!
Cheers, Ron B

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 02:21:37 pm »
Come on guys. We all REALLY KNOW Brocky was just an average driver and why he drove so fast - it was his worst kept secret - the "Energy Polarizer" - you know, that little black box with magnets and crystals inside. :w

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:04 pm »
Originally posted by Red71
Come on guys. We all REALLY KNOW Brocky was just an average driver and why he drove so fast - it was his worst kept secret - the "Energy Polarizer" - you know, that little black box with magnets and crystals inside. :w

Yeah, what a load of BS the Polarizer was!!!
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 08:00:07 pm »
What! it was B/S noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:w:w

:w:w:w

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 03:28:16 am »
I had a VL Brock Director/calais, nissan RB30 turbs with a 5 speed. I got so much siht for that polarizer.

Running 18PSI with a T4 and billions spent on the motor.....

I loved the horsepower that car produced standard. Just had to tinker with it

Im a fan of brocky.....I like my GTR skylines...and I like my mussy's.

My fav holden will allways be a VL and they've finally got the new one out now..... that Im a big fan of......its the next VL in my books

They've got em over here but there called GTO's with a few front end mods...I like the ozzie version better and so do the yanks.

Good luck with the book T-code..happy reading