Your purchase

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Your purchase  (Read 2938 times)

Offline REDPNY

• Thoroughbred
Your purchase
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:07:57 pm »
hi, i have just about bought 65 GT coupe but getting very itchy feet. It appears that it is a genuine GT ie extra exhaust brackets etc. However it only has a 2-barrel carbi. the existing numbers on manifold match production year of car. to change i would have to find right numbers on manifold. I am now second guessing if it is a legit GT. Sould i be concerned??

David , please help:_:_:[:2

Offline Rich

• Stallion
Your purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:33:58 pm »
Hi Mate,
My word is it should definitely be 4 barrel. However could have had a block change? My 68 has had an angine swap ages ago, but all the original date coded parts are back on the 69 block. Fog lights in teh grille? Look for factory drill holes to accomodate wiring. What the code in the VIN? (without giving the whole VIN, of course), just the 5th letter.

Rich

Offline 68Shelby

• Pony
Your purchase
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:35:16 pm »
Hi David,

First thing - is your car an A code or K code? If you could let us know your VIN number that'd help.

Your car could have had an engine change as well.

This is a great site for a check on a 65-66 GT. An A code is easier to verfiy as a GT than a K code too.

http://www.karmustang.com/factory_gts.php

Cheers
67 K code Fastback, 1 of 205 with a close ratio 4 speed

Offline REDPNY

• Thoroughbred
Your purchase
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:39:16 pm »
fifth letter in vin is A so it is an a-code. everything else checks out for GT status

thanks David

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Your purchase
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:42:42 pm »
On a 65, a factory GT only came on four barrel A and K code cars. NOT the C code 2 barrel carby cars.

Check the VIN number.....it won't be a K because they are worth a mint, so you'll be looking for the VIN's 5th digit to be an A. Then it's got a chance of being genuine.

This is shown on a long thin tag on the inside of the left hand door near the lock.

What's hard is that any 4 barrel car could have been swapped to a 2 barrel on a genuine Ford inlet manifold......a lot can change over 44 years.

Look for round dial instruments like the 66 model, as GT's were fitted with these. If it's got a standard 65 sweep speedo beware. However, deluxe pony trim cars were also fitted with the dial instruments so that feature is not unique to GT cars.

Perhaps use the 2 barrel carby to request a price reduction, grab it then go out and get ya 4 barrel.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Your purchase
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:48:43 pm »
Yes , the advice is correct , should be a 4 barrel either 225 or 271 HP. A or K code.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Your purchase
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:49:58 pm »
Update from your post just before mine.

OK it's an A code, so go for it at best price, 'cos it was originally a 4 barrel carby car.

Offline pala

• Worked
Your purchase
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:25:25 pm »
4 barell Autolite 4100 carb if its ORIGINAL

Offline REDPNY

• Thoroughbred
Your purchase
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
thanks guys. I have bought the car as i am as certain as possible it is a factory GT. getting my hands on a 4-barrel to replace it with and take it back to way she once was.

This is my first mustang and hearing from you guys sounds as though it wont be my last. I have already worded up the misses that a fastback is next.

Thanks to you all in helping me get educated and pointing me in the right direction.

David

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
Your purchase
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:58:34 pm »
Originally posted by davidj
thanks guys. I have bought the car as i am as certain as possible it is a factory GT. getting my hands on a 4-barrel to replace it with and take it back to way she once was.

This is my first mustang and hearing from you guys sounds as though it wont be my last. I have already worded up the misses that a fastback is next.

Thanks to you all in helping me get educated and pointing me in the right direction.

David

Congratulations David, any photos to share? :a

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Your purchase
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:23 pm »
congrats mate, hope all goes well.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Your purchase
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:08 pm »
Brilliant.........now it's time for that big silly Mustang ear to ear grin.

But remember she's a relic, (like Grandpa's missus), so expect a few little hassles as part of the fun.