newton meters on diff

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: newton meters on diff  (Read 4601 times)

Offline carlt

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:57:11 am »
i have a 66 fastback that is losing oil out of the front  of the diff. i changed the seal but still is dripping ,wondering if i havent done the nut up tight enough? what is the nM of pressure that should be applied?

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
newton meters on diff
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 05:23:41 pm »
carlt ,   it may be that you have fitted the wrong sized seal or did you check to make sure that the bearing had no movement.  Any movement there would cause the seal to leak straight away.  Not that the nut is done up tight enough.       Mac

Offline carlt

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 06:59:48 pm »
i got a new seal, the same as i took out which  also leaked ,maybe i have the wrong seal?when fitted it seemed to fit well as i tried a seal from a early model ford which didnt fit, found a seal at repco that had been specialy  ordered by somebody else for a mustang.  when putting on we found specs on how tight the nut must be and questioned why it is very little as far as  ft-lbs

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
newton meters on diff
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 05:51:44 pm »
carlt.. my ford book has the pinion flange nut at 265 ft/lb  ..to convert it shouldn't be too hard.      Mac

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
newton meters on diff
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 05:57:06 pm »
carlt..  oops forgot to ask what diff you actually have, was assuming then... and should never  ASS U ME

Offline carlt

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:13:45 pm »
mac its a 8 inch  well it suppost to be diff code is c20w-e-4114 wcz-f 3.00 4 ha 901.......

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
newton meters on diff
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 04:27:59 pm »
try From ft-lbs into Nm, multiply ft-lbs x 1.356

Offline 66redcoupe

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 08:06:46 pm »
the 8 inch diff centre uses a collapsible spacer between the two pinion bearings. when replacing the seal, the pinion nut should be marked in relation to the pinion yoke, count the turns coming off, and install exactly that ammount of turns, lining up your reference marks on the nut and pinion yoke.

The pinion nut is torqued up from new to collapse the bearing spacer and set the pinion bearing pre load. If you remove the nut after that and retighten, either to loose or to tight, you risk altering the pinion bearing pre load, either to loose or to much preload respectively.

Check the sealing surface of the yoke to see if it is scored/marked in the seal area. If so, repare it by installing a speedi sleeve. And make sure of no up and down movement on the pinion.

Offline carlt

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 05:36:42 pm »
all the information has helped no end thanks for the posts it is muchly appreciated everybody will be happy to know that i have fixed the leak so thanks to all...

ardvark

ardvark
newton meters on diff
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 11:31:50 pm »
click on link below, its of interest to all...

www.ssat.bigpondhosting.com

ardvark

ardvark
newton meters on diff
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:33:17 pm »
:o click on link below as its of interest to all that own a car in Australia!!!

www.ssat.bigpondhosting.com

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
newton meters on diff
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 06:04:28 pm »
Ardvark, if i wanted commercials I would turn on the tele...

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
newton meters on diff
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 07:16:02 pm »
with collopasible bearings arnt you supposed to add a bit extra so therere is new pre-load..and second pre-load...

Offline 66redcoupe

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 12:22:54 am »
thats true bashfull, you should tighten the pinion nut a little more to a new pre load.
but you do have to have a dial face type inch pound torque wrench to measure the pinion rotating torque before you start and then after re installing the nut the rotating force required to turn the pinion must be checked again, and be an extra 8-14 inch pounds greater than when checked before repairs began.

I feel that in the absence of the above mentioned torque wrench, it is safer to re install the nut back to it's original position, EXACTLY, rather than guess how much extra to tighten the nut. Unless the pinion bearings were flogging around loose before (in which case you would hardly bother changing just a seal) they would have had some pre load, so why not stick to what worked before.
Just my 2 cents worth

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
newton meters on diff
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 11:18:24 pm »
Truthfully,

When i have done the pinion seal in my car, i looked at all this and deciced to pull the centre out take it a diff/trans place with my two axles.

They changed the seal and pressed on the new bearings..set up the centre beatiful, while i had a hamburger for lunch.
But then again i got a new collapisible bearing put in..with a new seal..
the bearing was awfully expensive $7
and the trans shop charged $40 including pressing on new bearings.

Offline 66redcoupe

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 10:48:42 am »
how could you argue against $47. Certainly saved yourself a lot of hassle, and ended up with a good job also. Way to go.:2

Offline carlt

• Pony
newton meters on diff
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 08:41:15 pm »
just wanted to say that imformation collected was very handy not only for me but whomever reads this thanks again i have fixed the leak.....