TAIL shaft

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: TAIL shaft  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Sal

• Pony
TAIL shaft
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:33:03 pm »
And again, anyone in Adelaide know of a good shop I can take the Stang to, to have the tailshaft looked at seems to have slight vibration. May need to be balanced.

Offline Bllett

• Worked
TAIL shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:49:52 am »
the following link maybe of some help

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/43443-1966-mustang-worrysome-vibration.html

had smiliar issues and had tailshaft balanced but ended upbeing uni joints.

regards,

daponi

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
TAIL shaft
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:47:42 pm »
Sal, I'd be changing the uni joints first and while its out have a look to see if its thrown the weight off, if not it should be ok.

Offline Black Mach1

• Pony
TAIL shaft
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:39:46 pm »
Sal.........I'd check the transmission mount.......diff "U" bolts that bolt the diff to the springs to make sure they are tight....and the "u" joints 1st.....drive shafts dont usually go out of  balance too often..
Rick

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
TAIL shaft
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:41:34 pm »
Try reversing the shaft in the rear uni. I read an original ford document some time ago where ford marked the shafts to go a particular way for balance.
If I can find a copy I will post it.
Stormin

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
TAIL shaft
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »
Look in your Yellow Pages under "Balancing Equipment &/or Services", which is where you'll find a tailshaft balancer in Adelaide.

Nine times out of ten it'll be a uni joint that goes, and often the diff end first, as it cops all the road grime. Always fit a new pair of uni's though, because if one is gone, the other will usually fail soon after.

I've never bothered to get a tailshaft re-balanced after changing uni joints, but some might feel it worthwhile.

Offline 2+266

• Worked
TAIL shaft
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »
 whip out the tail shaft yourself and take it around to adelaide tail shaft service at dry creek:( ask them to supply new uni joints and check the yoke or if you do not wish to get it balanced go to hardie spicer and they will match some up for you, oh and jack up the ass high enough before removing the tail shaft so you lose minimal gearbox fluid too! rear main seal for a toploader can be purchased from precision driveline on port road,hope this helps

Offline Sal

• Pony
TAIL shaft
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:59 pm »
Thanks for the info guys it all helps