What are you all doing for SFC's?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What are you all doing for SFC's?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline warmride

• Stallion
    • www.mikesmustang.iinet.net.au
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »
Was looking at off the shelf sub-frame connectors such as the babies below but as I'm looking at replacing the front frame rails anyway, I figure it can't be too hard to fab up some custom jobs.  Anyone done anything similar?

Warmride

Offline whiplash

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:08:27 pm »
I've got some but their $h!thouse so I'm gunna modify the crap out of them and put in ladder bars as well !!! Those shown above look good as long as there thick !!! Americans always under engineer everything !!!!!

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:45 pm »
Yeah, the ones in the pic look "Cosmetic", I would be more inclined to run some Box steel from the front to back rails, gusseted to the originals
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline warmride

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:54:00 am »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
Yeah, the ones in the pic look "Cosmetic", I would be more inclined to run some Box steel from the front to back rails, gusseted to the originals

Fair appraisal - that was my one concern.  The only problem I see with straight tubing is that I'd have to cut into the rear seat floor pans.  May be the only way out.  I looked at all the general weld in/bolt in brands on the market and they all seem to hang real low.  I did come across these ones yesterday though - appear to hug the floor a little closer.
Price is not too bad either..............

Tinman Subframe Connectors

Tinman Install

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:41 am »
You could use 1" x 2" box steel, under the floorpan, or you could scallop the box steel, and plate it, to go with the contour of the floor.
How low is your car?
What is the lowest point of your underneath? Mine is the deep pan for the auto, for others, it may be the exhaust. If they don't scrape over bumps etc, you can safely go that low for your connectors, even a little more, as you know that if they scrape, it is only the box steel, and won't be doing any harm to them.

Depends on if you want them for the look, or need them.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline oz67fb

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 08:00:23 pm »
I had some global west tubular ones welded in, I'm happy with them and the car is solid, no flex that I have noticed doing the freeway on and off ramps !;2:+
Patent holder of "boneless chickens"

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:14:22 am »
Originally posted by warmride
Was looking at off the shelf sub-frame connectors such as the babies below but as I'm looking at replacing the front frame rails anyway, I figure it can't be too hard to fab up some custom jobs.  Anyone done anything similar?

Warmride

To be realistic how heavy do they really need to be, anything will stiffen the car, I think they get made out of RHS tube simply because it's easy to do and cheap, not because it's strong. I think some nice folded ones would look better, and work fine once welded to the floor pans & rails.

Offline warmride

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:23:49 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
How low is your car?
What is the lowest point of your underneath? Mine is the deep pan for the auto, for others, it may be the exhaust. If they don't scrape over bumps etc, you can safely go that low for your connectors, even a little more, as you know that if they scrape, it is only the box steel, and won't be doing any harm to them.

Depends on if you want them for the look, or need them.  

Don't know yet it's in pieces but because it's going into the body shop shortly, the guy who's doing it want's to make all the chassis mods before paint.  I actually suspect the G-Bar underside axle brackets may end up being the lowest point on the vehicle.

I'm kind of leaning toward the custom folded solution, something that goes the full length.  As Shaunp pointed out anything has got to be better than nothing and I figure that the inside of the folded rails could be gusseted or plated at intervals for additional strength.

I might try knocking something up in CAD after I get back from my trip on the weekend.  Getting the profile right would be the b1tch

Here's another solution for those that are interested in a box type solution.

Daze Cars Home Made SFC's

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:21:26 pm »
If you seal it well so no water getts in, fill the rails with expanding foam, most new cars use it in sills etc for added stiffness. I know when guys were make XJS Jag convertibles they were filling the sills with foam, makes a big differance and weighs nothing. I think Ford Oz started using foam on EAs to stiffen them.

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:19:42 pm »
I was thinking about fabricating some of these for my 66 coupe.They look solid enough and are made from 2" box square steel tubing

http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/sub-frame.html

Offline 418mach

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 06:33:44 pm »
I have Total Control Products connectors and X cage fitted got them from Mustangs Unlimited welded in, the square section hugs the floor and is same size as the front rails where it joins and is no lower at the back than the track bars the cross cage is lower by 30 mm in the centre but the colletors at the front are lower. i am happy with these i know the car is stiffer when i angle across the hump in my drive
69 mach 1  418W, 3vCHI 218cc heads, TKO600.82 4.11Detroit Locker, EFI, 450 RWHP 11.94 @ MPH 118 in street trim spinning the wheels

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
I like the Dazed ones, might go down that path myself.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:15:49 pm »
Mike, take a look at Marshalls build pics, it may be what you are looking for.
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l75/voluntary/?start=40
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100