Power discs verses power drums

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Power discs verses power drums  (Read 4401 times)

Offline peterb

• L Plates
« on: June 16, 2005, 01:17:51 pm »
Dear Brains trust !
Very helpful last time thanks.
New problem.:(
What's the opinion on replacing my ordinary( and I mean ordinary ) non assisted drum brakes with power disc brakes on my'65 convertible or is it sufficient to go the power drum option ( if there such a thing? ) Where? Who ?
Need to do something soon 'cause she don't stop too good and my dang quardra muscle in one thigh is getting to look like the Governor of Californias' ;)

Offline ThunderKiss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:24:58 pm »
If you're not concerned with concours correct parts, I would try Hoppers Stoppers.  They do DBA/PBR upgrades and there's always a few Mustangs in there.

Offline gvincent

• P Plates
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 06:39:57 pm »
I've heard from quite a few people that just putting in a booster will make a big difference. You may not need to convert to discs.
Good Luck

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 08:53:30 pm »
I have one with power disc and another with power drums, the discs are far better, but you do get used to the drums.
They all pull you up, its only a matter of time, you just have to drive accordingly.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline srh

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 08:57:21 pm »
Nassi is correct,the power drums do pull you up but i feel they are not really up to driving in todays traffic.
I'll be changing to discs pretty soon,been driving with the drums for 12 months...

Steve

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 06:59:55 am »
Originally posted by nassi
I have one with power disc and another with power drums, the discs are far better, but you do get used to the drums.
They all pull you up, its only a matter of time, you just have to drive accordingly.
nassi

That's all true, BUT I think I'm going to upgrade my brakes to something bigger/more modern (don't know what yet) because most of my driving is highway, and I'm sick of people who cut into the larger following distance I try to maintain, and then expect me to stop like a modern car :mad:

Aaron.
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Offline GidyUp69

• L Plates
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 09:14:08 am »
Dont forget, all a brake booster does is lesson the effort it takes to apply the brakes...

69 Candy Apple Red Mach 1

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 07:53:22 pm »
Yep Xrayman, an upgrade probably is the way to go. I agree with the cutting in. You leave yourself a comfort zone and some prat does his best to fill it. When the time comes I would like to fit the RRS strut/ disc setup.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 07:54:49 pm »
Yep Xrayman, Steve, an upgrade probably is the way to go. I agree with the cutting in. You leave yourself a comfort zone and some prat does his best to fill it. When the time comes I would like to fit the RRS strut/ disc setup.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline zipen

• Pony
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 06:49:39 pm »
My 65 coupe had power drums. Even then I felt like Scotty on the Starship Enterprise when breaking in a hurry: "I canna hold her no more Cap'n - she's breakin' up!"  So I had power discs put on the front and left the rear drums unassisted. Works like a charm now, and I have a lot more confidence in stopping old Lucille.  :f