Thanks for the advice...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Thanks for the advice...  (Read 12521 times)

Offline Jens68

• Pony
    • www.wykked.com
Thanks for the advice...
« on: November 30, 2008, 08:06:18 pm »
But no one seems to have a definitive answer....
I am wanting to remove my old genuine power steering etc.
I am not sure if I should go with the RRS kit, and then I am not sure who to get to fit it in Vic (preferably someone in the Southern Suburbs), or if I go with the Flaming River kit.
Could anyone give me their thoughts on this and how it went for you once you made your decision.
Thanks
Jenny

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:32:04 pm »
Cant help with the Flaming river bits but with the RRS stuff you may increase your turning circle if you dont fit there struts as well.
The non power rack may be a little heavy for some (I dont mind it), so try and drive one before commiting to it.
Something else with RRS, get whoever is going to install it to order the parts as RRS are not very highly regarded for there attention to detail when packing an order (chances are you will get some incorrect parts in your order), and if you dont know what your looking for this will be confusing. Lastly there aftersales service leaves a bit to be desired.
My experience is a few years old so they may have improved, just be aware.
Having said all that the product is very good and I have enjoyed it for several years now.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Jens68

• Pony
    • www.wykked.com
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:03 pm »
Your comment seems to be the same as what a few other people have told me too. I am definately leaning towards the flaming river kit, the more I hear about other peoples issues.
Many Thanks
Jenny

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:48 am »
I heard something along the lines of....they may not be allowed by the road authorities!
Im not sure though! Mite be worth you checking up first.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:31:56 pm »
Jens68

My suggestion is to rebuild your existing power steering set up. Your car is left hand drive & if you are leaving it that way then the rebuild is the most cost effective & none of the cars handling will be compromised.

I was involved in the research & developement of the Total Control rack & pinion. It was through my wife, Carol's, car (RHD 69 Mach 1) at Knotts Berry Farm Fabulous Fords Forever Show in 1999 that Total Control racks & front ends were fitted to the Eleanors in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds. Ray Clarriage of CVS contacted me about RHD conversions at the time & it led to the movie cars being fitted with the racks.

I also became a dealer for RRS in Northern California.

However most of my suspension work was to make standard suspension on Mustangs work well. You can buy a full front end rebuild kit including the power ram & pump kit for way less than a rack.

The problems with the Flaming River rack is that it has huge "bump steer". That is a when your suspension travels up & down, the toe in of your front wheels changes dramatically. That causes the wheel that has the load on it to be the master & thats the direction you will be travelling in. Very disconcerting at speed.

If you study the way Total Control & RRS racks work, it will show you that the tie rods bolt on in the standard positions of a Mustang. That is something the Flaming River rack does not do.

If you were closer to where I live I could take you for a ride in a well set up standard type suspension Mustang with correct alignment, you would be impressed with the handling & ride qualities.

I have come out of turn 4 at Charlotte Motor Speedway at 145mph in a 65 Mustang that had standard steering box & wishbone suspension in it. Never felt safer.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 03:01:21 pm »
Originally posted by ozbilt
Jens68

My suggestion is to rebuild your existing power steering set up. Your car is left hand drive & if you are leaving it that way then the rebuild is the most cost effective & none of the cars handling will be compromised.

I was involved in the research & developement of the Total Control rack & pinion. It was through my wife, Carol's, car (RHD 69 Mach 1) at Knotts Berry Farm Fabulous Fords Forever Show in 1999 that Total Control racks & front ends were fitted to the Eleanors in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds. Ray Clarriage of CVS contacted me about RHD conversions at the time & it led to the movie cars being fitted with the racks.

I also became a dealer for RRS in Northern California.

However most of my suspension work was to make standard suspension on Mustangs work well. You can buy a full front end rebuild kit including the power ram & pump kit for way less than a rack.

The problems with the Flaming River rack is that it has huge "bump steer". That is a when your suspension travels up & down, the toe in of your front wheels changes dramatically. That causes the wheel that has the load on it to be the master & thats the direction you will be travelling in. Very disconcerting at speed.

If you study the way Total Control & RRS racks work, it will show you that the tie rods bolt on in the standard positions of a Mustang. That is something the Flaming River rack does not do.

If you were closer to where I live I could take you for a ride in a well set up standard type suspension Mustang with correct alignment, you would be impressed with the handling & ride qualities.

I have come out of turn 4 at Charlotte Motor Speedway at 145mph in a 65 Mustang that had standard steering box & wishbone suspension in it. Never felt safer.

Ozbilt, I'm glad there is someone else who thinks this stuff is not required, to get these things to drive ok. I can't see how anyone can justify the cost, let alone that a lot of it is worse than what you started with.

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 03:30:03 pm »
Leave it in. I love the factory ps, the turning circle is great it's light. Hate driving these so called ps cars of today, they feel heavy. The work ute we got has rack and pinion and has more slack then alot of ram rod cars I've driven. My 2c

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:07:19 pm »
why spend thousands when a few hundred will give you a better result if you dont go all the way with RRS, you wont be happy ,give it a lot of thought before you start ;w

Offline FST68

• Worked
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:21:46 pm »
Sorry to bust your bubble guys, but there are some parts of the original steering on some models ie 68 which you can no longer buy from any parts suplier. so unfortunatly there will be more people looking into these alternative kits.

if only there was a company that can make a reproduction pitment arms for a 68.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 09:36:12 pm »
You are not bursting my bubble. Lol

I had rebuilt over 100 Mustang front ends while I lived in the US ( have done 8 since returning to Oz), only 2 in the States required steering boxes & they were easy to find.

Yes some parts are non existant at the moment, but if there is demand, it will be reproduced. In the early 1990's you could not buy much "decent" repro parts for Mustangs, now most parts are available.

Good example is now you can buy cowls for 67-8"s that are an exact copy of the original. Most mechanical parts are covered as a majority of mechanical parts fitted more than 1 car.

I spent a lot of time, when I moved to California, networking with Mustang wreckers & other parts vendors. Now when I want something it is only a phone call away ( well also an airfreight !)

I can still get plenty of good used boxes in the USA, so a good used pitman arm is no problem. I would assume the pitman arm you speak of is also used on other models of Fords, homework for me to research!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:46:25 am »
NPD list a pitman arm that fitts late 67 cars to 70. I assume by this that they are the same from when ford made the steering box seperate to the col, and not a one piece unit. You can also get this type of thing revulcanised worst case if the rubber has gone and you can't get one, not sure how effective it is.

Offline FST68

• Worked
Thanks for the advice...
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 01:06:07 pm »
I have seen the same listing from NPD and I contacted them directly to try and get on and they told me that the 68 model is different and that they have been unable to get any for quite ome time. I prity much got the same response from a list of uther us parts suppliers.

I have been trying to get a new one rather than a used or Revulcanised one for I had issues with those in the past. used ones already show signs of play and the other have degenerated quickly.