Purchasing a Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Purchasing a Mustang  (Read 9796 times)

Offline misslys

• L Plates
Purchasing a Mustang
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:31:05 pm »
Im new at buying these lovely old school cars but am looking into purchasing a recent import 66 hardtop. I want to use it as an every day run around car so could someone tell me how expensive the upkeep of a classic car like this would be? ie- servicing and parts? I dont have a man around the house to help tinker with it so would need a reliable service center near cronulla NSW.

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:30:14 pm »
  Before you do anything give Dennis Wilson a call at D + S automotive at Kirrawee.
 Knows near all there is to know about mustangs and then some.
 Id say he would even do a pre purchase inspect for you.

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 05:37:20 pm »
http://nsw.mustang.org.au/advertisers/26.htm

Theres a link to the workshop.

Offline misslys

• L Plates
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »
Thanks heaps for that
i'll call him monday, fingers crossed the car isnt a lemon!

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 05:43:48 pm »
Misslys in my experience, so long as you are not set on buying NOS (new old spares) or OEM (original equipment/manufacturor) the most expensive part of having a mustang as a daily driver is FUEL. Depending on engine size, (& how hard and where (eg. parking on the "highway" you drive it) you probably won't see better than 18L/100 from any of the V8's - my warmed-up 351 gets anywhere from 25 to 30L/100;x

but parts/servicing are nowhere as expensive as new cars.
eg I had a shop rewire my headlights with higher guage & relays for about $110

Aaron
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »
Originally posted by misslys
Thanks heaps for that
i'll call him monday, fingers crossed the car isnt a lemon!

Do you have a link to the car??
 I know Dennis has a good contact who brings in cars and the last two i saw were amazing.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 09:01:20 pm »
For an everyday driver please consider fitting a good alarm with engine immobiliser, as the 66 Mustang's bonnet is unlocked from the front of the car, rather than by an internal cable.

You'll need an alarm with a battery backup, as the car battery is easily nicked.

The saving grace is that mostly only Mustang people will have this information, but you've still got to protect yourself from that one person who has the knowledge, and is out for mischief.

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:50:42 am »
As one who has been on the receiving end of someone trying to steal their mustang thats a great idea.
 The insurance company mandated immobiliser failed and the thing that stopped the theft of the car was the good old Crook lock and the fact a guy stopped who saw the guys in the car and challenged them they ran off. Another minute or so though!
 Oh yeh they had the car running;x

I have seen a small chain and padlock to lock the bonnet closed , fitted to the bonnet where the locking plate meets the release mechanism (Havent explained that real well sorry)

Offline misslys

• L Plates
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 02:33:06 pm »
The car is on www.carsales.com.au. its ID number is 6160336.
The paint job on it is about 10years old and the interior needs redoing and converting to RHD is something I would do too.
As for protecting it, I would install a kill switch and the backup battery idea for the alarm is a good idea. Im sure this Dennis guy can point me in the right direction if i cant find a good one.

Im looking at the car on thursday!!!! I want someting that isnt going to cost me a small fortune to buy, that I can fix and do stuff with slowly.

Someone told me if I do buy a mustang that I should fish oil it every few years. how easy is this to do?

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 09:06:11 pm »
OK what  i see from the pictures its had a minor bash down near the front passenger side indicator and there is a bit of damage near the lower headlight trim too.
 Doors seem a bit iffy. A poor fit or just badly aligned bit hard to tell from the pictures.
 65 Hubcaps.Incorrect fuel cap.
 Rear seems to be sitting a bit high but again might just be the photo angles.
 Are you sure you want a straight 6 ?
 Mustangs are more popular in V8 form but not a bad price at 14 K.
 Alot of work and expense can be involved in repainting ang convert so factor that in too.
Respray including bodywork 4-5K +++
 Conversion 5-6+++ K
So there you are already up into the low 20 ks and there is plenty around that price.
Dont get excited about the "rare bench seat" option.Most people prefered the bucket seats.
 Black plate car....Big deal .. means nothing now in reality.

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 09:08:38 pm »
Oh yeh those "original protection strips" i would be looking really carefully around their mounting points for rust and corrosion.

Remember NO mustang is rust free.:*

Aint called rustangs for nothing;1

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:41:23 am »
Misslys,
 Try www.justmustangs.com.au or www.mustangsofmelbourne.com.au.
Both are reputable companies who import these cars. They have examples in your price range and will also do a RHD conversion before delivery for an added fixed quote cost. Although they are both melbourne based, its not a big deal, with budget airlines like Jetstar, to go down for the day and inspect/buy your beast. I did, and drove it home!
Cheers, Ron B

Offline 65pony

• Thoroughbred
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »
stuie87 was that your stang parked out front of fitness first miranda on Thursday night??

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »
It better not have been!
 The body is at Illawong and the engine is at my mums!!!:+

Offline 65pony

• Thoroughbred
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:37:09 pm »
haha unless it has a mind ov its own, must be another one in the shire.

Looks like the shire cruises may be a little crowded :+

Offline 65pony

• Thoroughbred
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 09:46:34 pm »
misslys,

having one of these cars as a daily driver shouldnt be too hard aslong as you get the right one.

be aware their are alot of rust buckets out their and some that need a fair bit of mechanical work.

if the exchange rate was higher i would suggest buying one from the states as a viable option but under the current circumstances that would not be advisable.

what kind of price range are you looking at???

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 10:24:42 pm »
Saw a blue 65/66 vert on the Menai bypass while i was on the way to mine earlier today.

Offline oz390gta

• Pony
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 10:39:33 pm »
Stuie87,

Are you sure it was not a 67 ? I was on the bypass today, I live at Menai, I was taking the car for a run after picking her up from Dennis Willson from her annual service. It is a Brittany Blue GTA convertible.

I have only just joined the online group, I have been a MOCA member for 10 years. I have owned the GTA for 4 years and am about to take delivery of a 68 California Special.

I think 65pony is correct, Shire cruises are going to get crowded. I have owned Mustangs for 10 years and never knew there were so many in the shire.

oz390gta
Oz390gta

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 10:44:26 pm »
Originally posted by oz390gta
Stuie87,

Are you sure it was not a 67 ? I was on the bypass today, I live at Menai, I was taking the car for a run after picking her up from Dennis Willson from her annual service. It is a Brittany Blue GTA convertible.

I have only just joined the online group, I have been a MOCA member for 10 years. I have owned the GTA for 4 years and am about to take delivery of a 68 California Special.

I think 65pony is correct, Shire cruises are going to get crowded. I have owned Mustangs for 10 years and never knew there were so many in the shire.

oz390gta

Well it most likely was you! You were heading towards Sutherland.
 Why didnt you wave?:w
 I was going the other way in an old camry.::
She looked mighty fine on the road!

I havent had one on the road here for 10 years but there are more around than ever.Never used to see them now i see at least one a day.

Offline oz390gta

• Pony
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 10:53:18 pm »
I wave at other mustang owners, when the kids are in the car they wave at anyone, including Camry drivers :-)

oz390gta
Oz390gta

Offline blackbox

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 06:53:45 am »
Ill see all you other shire people on the road...
If you see me around come up and say hi.
Then you can tell me to get off my arse and paint my car:+
James.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 04:46:24 pm »
Guys, It's great to catch up but let's not steal the thread from Misslys.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 10:26:42 pm »
Originally posted by misslys
Im new at buying these lovely old school cars but am looking into purchasing a recent import 66 hardtop. I want to use it as an every day run around car so could someone tell me how expensive the upkeep of a classic car like this would be? ie- servicing and parts? I dont have a man around the house to help tinker with it so would need a reliable service center near cronulla NSW.

Just thought of this today.
Cars can be repainted white to hide flaws and small waves in the body.
 Make sure the paint code matches the colour. The only white in 66 was WIMBELDON WHITE which has a paint code of M.
 Heres a link to help you out.
http://www.metromusclecars.com/FordExterior/1966ExteriorPaint.html
GOOD LUCK!

Offline stuie87

• Worked
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 09:26:04 pm »
How did you go with the car Misslys?

Offline misslys

• L Plates
Purchasing a Mustang
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 04:32:49 pm »
thanks guys,
got a friend in the states to check the stats on that carsales car and it was originally blue so im steering clear of it!!! i saw an old post with a link to another car from the same guy with apparently the wrong radiator on it so I dont think the guy that is selling them is someone I want to buy from.
As for buying them from the states I think I will do that because my Dad lives over there and in a year am planning to go over there so may shop around then, hopefully the exchange rate will be better by then!!!
So so now I think I'm going to have to put my mustang dreams on hold, save up a bit more than i thought and then be able to purchase a reliable one.
But this forum has been a BIG help with making this decision so thanks to all that helped me out.