Our 66 Mustang Father and son

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Our 66 Mustang Father and son  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Mad Cruiser

• L Plates
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:37:24 pm »
My father and i like doing up classic cars and this is our 2nd classic car. We Restored a 1974 Ford Falcon GT Hardtop Coupe in 2000 and finished in 2004. So in June Dad comes up to me and says i'm bored i want to do another car and we agreed on a Mustang coupe. Prior to that Dad and mum went to NZ for a 2 week holiday and they saw a classic car club meet up at a servo where he saw this beautiful Mustang.

So this is how the motivation started !

We found this 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe with a 289 motor and auto on Ebay in Brisbane so we went to check it out and pretty much bought it on the spot. The next day we arranged for a tow truck to pick it up and take it back to our place.

Problems we found with it was the auto slipped pretty bad, suspension and all bushes needed redoing, repaint the car (dodgy paintwork), door trims, front seat covers, cracked dashpad and a few missing interior items.

We stripped the mustang down, interior and exterior then sent it to the sodablasterers at Glasshouse Mountains, they did an excellent job. Unfortunately we discovered a lot of rust and bog. Lots of bog in the rain gutters, rear pillar, rear bumper panel.

Now it's at the panel beater's place getting all the rust cut out and replaced, so far we have replaced a section of the drivers floor pan, parcel shelf, sections of the pillar, rear bumper panel, right side section of the boot floor, windscreen section at top of roof. This is were it stands at the moment.....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:31:29 am by peterp »
1966 Ford Mustang coupe
1974 XB Ford Falcon GT coupe
1998 Toyota Landcruiser 100 series

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:09:19 pm »
Good to see guy's, doing it together and properly.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline victorypark

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:18:08 am »
Originally posted by nassi
Good to see guy's, doing it together and properly.
cheers.

Ditto.  Good luck with the project guys.  It never ceases to amaze me how deceptive pics can be.  On face value that ride looks in pretty good shape but having mentioned what you have one really needs to "scratch the surface" so to speak.