Att Bumblebee

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Att Bumblebee  (Read 3048 times)

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Att Bumblebee
« on: September 24, 2008, 06:50:15 pm »
Whats the latest with the transplant?

Offline BLU302

• Worked
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:13:17 pm »
+ 1 Bee.
My engine is next,so I'd like to know if you think it was worth doing the Rousch way?
Although having seen the photo of your motor I think I know the answer.
Bob

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »
Hi Guys,

So the latest is.............

The car will be started for the first time tomorrow.  I probably made it harder for myself by going the RRS power rack steering, hydraulic clutch new PWR radiator and SPAL fan, MSD 6AL etc etc all at the same time.  Lot's of stuffing around with new steering pulleys, power steering brackets, pumps, hydraulic lines. The parts suppliers in this industry have a lot to learn about service from the US. Not talking about our local mustang guys, they're fine, but the high performance parts guys prey on our passion for the cars which forces us to put up with pretty poor follow up.

Having said all that, the team doing the car are treating it like it's their own, incredible attention to detail, every wire and cable is being done like it's from the factory, in colour' finish, fit etc, just first class work.

Putting a brand new motor in has other little frustrating issues; the angle of the heads are a little different so the headers need to rotate a little which means the exhausts need to be cut and re-welded to sit right. The oil sender is in a different spot, the edelbrock mechanical fuel pump (that came with the engine) needed to be rotated to allow power steering to fit, it's a huge Canton sump so it fits, but I can't lower the motor (particularly with the new rack) which is an issue because even though I ordered the lower edelbrock air gap intake from Roush (which by the way made a huge dyno improvement all the way to 5,000 rpm) instead of the standard Victor Jr, it's still very tall with the billet air filter, so we'll probably have to modify the filter if we want to keep it (which I do). Performer rpm would probably fix this height issue, although it would lose some output.

To get ready for the engine over the last half year I had previously  set up; a dual master cylinder and booster, the diff (new 3.25 auburn LSD) , Shelby traction bars, gearbox linkages done, front suspension dropped (and now uprated whiteline front sway bar), 17x8 wheel tyre combo.

Long answer to a short question, but, I gotta say it looks stunning! I'll tell you how it sounds tomorrow. The dyno figures and torque are strong and the sheer cred that the brand pulls is priceless.

I was lucky, I bought this when the. Aussie dollar was US95c and only paid shipping and GST, no duty.

Would I do it again, definitely! But it would be a more planned effort and if I could avoid doing so much at once it would be faster and less stressful (the crap associated with setting up the new steering on a new engine doubled the time if you ask me).  Having said that, if you have the time, detail and patience Hev has shown doing his upgrade, mine looks pretty basic and I look like an impatient bugger!

I'll update you when it's going. Ages ago I had booked in to the American car nationals at queenbeyan this weekend, so there's a 20% chance the car will be ready, I'm an optimist so fingers crossed!

A sobering thought... Having someone warm over the old engine would sure be simpler and cheaper!

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:18:30 pm »
Hi Bee.

What requirements, if any, are there to get an engineer's report for all the mods?

I'm looking forward to some photos, as I'm sure lots of others are too, when it's all finished.

Peter

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:22:15 am »
What are the dyno figures with the rpm v's the victor jnr?

Offline BLU302

• Worked
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 08:14:30 am »
Thanks Bee,
Your info was just what I needed.
Now I can decide which way to attack this.
Bob

Offline victorypark

• Worked
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:05 am »
Originally posted by 2233
Whats the latest with the transplant?

You beat me to it 2233.  I have been eagerly awaiting "The Bee's" update on his project.

I'm sure a lot of forum members are in the same boat.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:39:57 am »
Bee! You certinly are an Impatient bugger!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:23:22 pm »
Hev, you're definitely in a higher league to me!

So, the car wasn't wired up enough to start today, which means it won't be going to the American nationals this weekend in Canberra, poo!

Bob, I hope I didn't scare you off, but to be honest, there are still lots of wiring items to finish, given we've gone from a traditional ignition, solenoid, regulator, to a full MSD set up with single wire alternator. This means a lot of changes to the wiring to set up the power to various devices that need power, from the tacho to the thermo fan. Thankfully, I have some people way smarter than me doing this!

The dyno figures were a significant 20% higher output with the air gap at 3,000 rpm and the victor Jr slowly gets closer until they meet bang on 5,000 rpm. With the torque ending at 373 ft/lb and hp peaking at 6,000. It's over 5,000 and in my case, up to 6,000 that the victor Jr goes harder, so I get a top hp of about 410 with the victor Jr and 396 with the air gap, so about a 3.5% drop at the very top end. But there is so much more power in the low, mid and upper range that you have to be running over 5,000 all the time , like the drag strip or track to want the victor Jr style of delivery.

I'll get pics up when the wiring is done.  I'm checking on the engineering report requirements, but I wouldn't think it's a big issue, it's a straight small block drop onto the same mounts etc, I'd have more problems if I didn't use the RRS because most racks replace the subframe cross member, where RRS doesn't. But you're right, it needs to be checked, I'll report back next week.

I haven't seen the car for a week and again I'm impressed with the work. So much has been added under the bonnet and there's not one extra hole drilled into the car! The MSD 6AL was mounted onto a hand made stainless stell plate which was painted black like the rest of the engine bay and mounted onto original holes already in the car. Same for the MSD Blaster SS coil, radiator and overflow, and relays etc, just careful, neat quality work. Not fast, but really nice.

Look forward to writing about driving not building!

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:34:06 pm »
BTW 2233

The torque figures with the air gap are down from the 390 ft/lb the victor Jr has but the air gap's torque is in the upper end of the 300's from 2,000 rpm up and really strong in the upper 300's from 3,000. The victor jr was 50 or so ft/lb lower, so in the low 300's when it's at 3,000 rpm and works for another 2,000 rpm to catch up and eventually over take the air gap.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline BLU302

• Worked
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 08:00:01 am »
I'm not totally scared off yet,Bee.
I am questioning my dedication a bit at the moment.
Bob

Offline rayl

• Thoroughbred
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:40:32 am »
Bob
I hope you mean you are only questioning your dedication to BLU-302 and not Mustangs in general !!!
Ray

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 12:51:36 pm »
I seen some figures at the engine dudes place the other day and the specs they showd me were for port matched AFR heads to manifold and there was a significan increse in HP above 4k in comparison to the Performer air gap, Oh did I mention I took the donk to the engine dude to strip and reassembling cause of reasons I am too embaressed about to mention..........but anyway thats another story, it will be ready soon.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 01:29:21 pm »
Yeah, the difference between manifolds could really vary between engine set ups. I have the results for mine in 100 rpm increments, and I posted a while ago a great online comarison between the air gap, victor Jr and Parker funnelweb, which had a very similar result to mine. But I guess every set up will have a specific result.

I'd like to know what happened to your donk, but maybe over a beer, my shout!

Looking forward to seeing yours finished soon Hev.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 06:46:11 pm »
Originally posted by HEVEN67
 Oh did I mention I took the donk to the engine dude to strip and reassembling cause of reasons I am too embaressed about to mention..........but anyway thats another story, it will be ready soon.

:w:w:w:w:w What did you do??????????? :w:w:w:w

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 07:15:54 pm »
Yeah, com'n Hev. We want to know :+ your not in tears so it cant be that bad. :(
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Att Bumblebee
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 07:42:51 pm »
cmon hev spill the beans  

Offline edd666

• Worked
  • Name: Eddie