1st Mustang purchase - QLD specific advice please

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1st Mustang purchase - QLD specific advice please  (Read 6170 times)

Offline fenderslash

• Thoroughbred
1st Mustang purchase - QLD specific advice please
« on: September 10, 2008, 04:56:45 pm »
Hi all,

I've been saving madly to purchase my first ever Mustang (has to be a 65/66 fastback!), which has been a dream of mine for many, many years. There is currently a 1966 fastback in NSW that I am very seriously considering purchasing, so I was hoping I could get some advice here about getting it on the road in my name in QLD...

Firstly, the seatbelts. The car I'm looking at still only has front lap belts, and I know from reading the threads on this forum that I have to have front retractable lap/sash belts and standard lap/sash belts in the back, as well as child restraint mounting points in the back. I've been trying to picture in my mind how these would look on a fastback and the picture in my mind is not pretty. If anyone can describe here, or better yet email me some photos of how the belts are mounted specifically in a fastback it would be an enormous help. I'd love to see how and where people mount them, and any cutting they've had to do of the trim pieces, etc. My email address is...
carln@aapt.net.au
Obviously there are lower mounting points as standard in these cars, but are there high "sash" mounting points there already hidden under the trim, perhaps as a 1966 factory option that was rarely purchased? Even if they were there I'm guessing that they will have to be strengthened. Also when trying to picture how the set-up will be I can't imagine it any other way other than the belts being an obstruction to getting in and out of the rear seats. Is that the case? (Again, pics would be a huge help here).

Secondly, I live in Townsville so I'm hoping to have the compliance work done and approved here. Are there any Nth Qld locals on this forum who have had the mods done locally and could recommend someone to take it to? Preferably someone with prior experience at doing these mods on a Mustang.

Lastly, if I buy the car I'll have to have it transported up from Sydney to Townsville. Are there any recommendations for transport companies that would treat this car with the respect it deserves? Or ones to avoid?

Sorry if this was a bit long winded; and thanks in advance.

My baby...  1965 Mustang 2+2; C-code 289 (with 4bbl Holley); C4 auto; Rangoon Red