Fuel Sender

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Fuel Sender  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Wookie66

• P Plates
Fuel Sender
« on: April 22, 2006, 02:18:35 am »
Hi All
Since I bought it, my 66 coupe has had a fuel gauge that read 1/4 when the tank was empty. No big deal if you know about it but I decided I wanted it to read properly. A faulty sender was my first thought so I purchased one. I also had the opportunity to pick up a new fuel tank for a reasonable price so I thought why not? I will replace both the tank and sender and all should be fine. Well, the install of these new shiny items went fine until I turned the key to find that my guage now reads empty even with 1/3 of a tank of fuel in it. What did I do wrong guys? I have checked to make sure that the connection is on nice and tight at the sender unit and it seems OK to me. Am I missing something or do I have a dud sender unit? Your wise thoughts and ideas are always welcome.
Thanks in advance
Wookie66

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Fuel Sender
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 09:20:34 am »
A quick check to test the integrity (not accuracy) of the system is to remove the wire to the sender unit (should read empty), then short it to ground and it should read full.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline dazza

• Pony
Fuel Sender
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:20 am »
If the wiring checks don't work i'd also pull the sender out again and check it against your old one to make sure the float is on the right way, the arm bend is similar (not bent in transport) and the arm is pointing straight down when installed; and it would be a good idea to check the resistance on the new sender with a multimeter while you have it out.

Good luck

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Fuel Sender
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 11:56:28 am »
I have a similar problem,easy fix! Every time you go past a servo,FILL ER UP!
Seriously what next!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline mus66

• P Plates
Fuel Sender
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32:57 pm »
I have encountered the same thing on three 66 coupes that i have worked on recently. I even oredered the more pricy stainless steel sender unit. The same thing happened. I bent the pick up a little on all three and they all work perfectly now. Mine even got driven till empty to prove that this works. Not saying this is the perfect fix but three in row was a bit strange. Sure check all the electrics and resistance first but this did fix all mine. The bend was down just a bit in the vice. May take abit to get it exact but remember these items are after market. Good luck.