Ripped off

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ripped off  (Read 8245 times)

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
Ripped off
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:42:24 pm »
Hi all,

I am the latest eBay sucker - buying a car on line and being more than bitterly disappointed with the 64 1/2 F Code Mustang convertible that turned up. It is completely unroadworthy with panels that are actually screwed to the frame!!

Lesson learnt I know, but I am looking to take legal action against the car dealer who sold me the car.

I am looking for a lawyer in the LA area who might be able to assist me with representation in my matter. Anyone knowing of such a lawyer, or anyone in LA who can put me in touch with (a reputable) one. I would really appreciate it.

Cheers, David (0403 505 762)
IMG

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
Ripped off
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:24:50 pm »
Hi boss69hogg.

That is very disappointing to hear. I wish you well with your law suit. Unfortunately, as Aussie buyers, we are not protected by eBay if we purchase from overseas, only locally purchased items. I hope you have left negative feedback for that rogue. The other thing you should do is name and shame them so that another poor unsuspecting soul doesn't get ripped off. This is all too common these days.

Once again, I wish you luck.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
Ripped off
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:44 pm »
Thanks. Unfortunately I can not leave negative feedback for him as eBay don't allow feedback to be left after 60 days (which is obviously less than it takes for the car to be transported etc). Nor do they allow you to open a dispute more than 60 days after the listing has ended. I have sent them several emails requesting that this be changed for this very reason - to warn off others.

In case any one is interested - West Covina Classic Cars.
IMG

Offline tbk

• Pony
Ripped off
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:45:46 pm »
Sorry to hear about this, should you find representation keep us posted on your progress.
Will happily charge my glass with you to celebrate another idiot being shown the door.

Chris

Offline Brent

• Worked
Ripped off
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:28 pm »
I guess this reinforces the need for a third party to overlook the vehicle, as I have stated here before you can enhance photos to look good or perhaps you got photos of another car?
I'am no expert as I bought my car from Aus, may have paid more but when it on the hoist you see everything.
Good luck but as with all auctions, its buyers beware!   :[
429,C6,MSD, Pertronix coil, Flowmaster, 59K, Griffin radiator, thermo fan, oil coolers. Twice USA magazine featured.

Offline ScottQLD

• Worked
    • http://www.stangtv.com/
Ripped off
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:55:14 pm »
Geeze that sounds horrible...
Here i was telling a fella the other night about my good but frustrating experience with buying on ebay. However i did tell him that for what i paid in transport costs to the port and other bits and peices i would have been no worse off if i had flown there return to look at the vehicle in person.. I guess i was Very lucky...
I wish you the best of luck..   :o

Offline ND69

• Worked
Ripped off
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:37 pm »
Sorry to here of  your issue.  I bought mine on Ebay last year, checked on the seller, asked the repair/shop where the car wa son display  about the car to see if it was real, (he did rip me off with a crappy jack and rusty spare wheel).  Any all seemed ok, Althought I was still nervous for two months, (unrestored californian 69 sportsroof with a few rough areas) ,The seller was more than helpfull I sent him additional funds for him to load the  car with parts and fitted new shoes for me at my cost, great service.

If you check in Ebay the is a forum type area where you can leave feedback .. Also email them explain your issue

Chin up .. seek more opinions before you unload  or fix, I did suffer the initial hmmm  did i do the right thing when mine arrived.

To others.. do study before you buy, and ask ALL the questions and get the right answer not a seller's dribble!

ND

Offline blackbox

• Worked
Ripped off
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:41:20 am »
Originally posted by boss69hogg
Thanks. Unfortunately I can not leave negative feedback for him as eBay don't allow feedback to be left after 60 days (which is obviously less than it takes for the car to be transported etc). Nor do they allow you to open a dispute more than 60 days after the listing has ended. I have sent them several emails requesting that this be changed for this very reason - to warn off others.

In case any one is interested - West Covina Classic Cars.

I went to that dealer when looking for my car when I was in LA.
They had sprayed up an old t code on site. Dodgey stuff going on there.
I ran a mile...

Hope you do OK, good luck.

James.

Offline Forder

• Worked
Ripped off
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:00:56 pm »
boss69hogg give me a call at work when you are on next.

Offline 68 gt390

• Pony
Ripped off
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 12:45:30 pm »
Hi try Pete Tate ( a Kiwi)  in LA next time he  does inspections all over the States.
Heres his details www.foytt.com  001 310 683 9141  he also has some nice cars for sale on the www.nzmustang.com site

Offline nt0351

• Pony
Ripped off
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 08:25:40 am »
hey boss69hog ,...sorry to hear of your ordeal ,..you are better off  focusing  on the positives and devoting your energies to getting the car right,... forget legal action it wont get you anywhere ,
...the smaller yank classic car dealers  purposely list tarted up rustbuckets on ebay to lure in unsuspecting overseas buyers and once they get an overseas bid they get their buddies to bid it up ,which in affect makes you think its a decent thing ..its been happening for years ,,.....they are a very patriotic lot and  they dont like the good examples leaving their shores ,..but have a good chuckle when they offload a rustbucket to an overseas buyer ....besides very few of them know what quality workmanship is over there ,..they are real good at talking it up ,..but when it comes down to it have no substance ,...so dont feel too bad ,..ive been importing for years and have copped it plenty of times even after having the car inspected ,..the best value  mustangs  are local cars that someone else has spent the cash on .  

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Ripped off
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:03:28 am »
Does this West Covina Classic Cars have a web site or something?>

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
Ripped off
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 10:04:19 am »
Originally posted by Mac1
Does this West Covina Classic Cars have a web site or something?>

Hi Mac1. I think their ebay user id is westcovinaclassic cars.  boss69hogg should be able to confirm this. Here is a link to their ebay feedback - a couple of negatives due to selling rust-buckets. They are no longer registered. Surprise, surprise. I wonder under what new name they are selling cars now?

http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=westcovinaclassiccars&ftab=AllFeedback

Peter

Offline ken

• Stallion
Ripped off
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 12:15:17 pm »
SORRY TO HEAR YOUR NEWS BUT HEY YOUR NOT THE FIRST AND WONT BE THE LAST......TOO MANY SCAMMERS OUT THERE ALL OVER THE WORLD.... GOOD LUCK IN FINDING HELP IN THE STATES I HOPE YOU GET LUCKY

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Ripped off
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 09:20:50 pm »
Quite frankly E BAY sux and is sh!t, I recently me and a mate bid for a tacho and we lost the bid, then the seller asked both for a second chance, its all a scam.censored A ebay
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Ripped off
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 03:40:12 pm »
I sell on ebay all the time, and often have dud buyers pull out after winning an item, they bid on 3 tacho's, put $100 on each, and pay for the cheapest one.
I also often have more than 1 of an item, and will offer it to all the non winners, before i list it again.

Originally posted by HEVEN67
Quite frankly E BAY sux and is <b>[Censored]</b>, I recently me and a mate bid for a tacho and we lost the bid, then the seller asked both for a second chance, its all a scam.<b>[Censored]</b> ebay
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Ripped off
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 03:51:06 pm »
BlkP.  Yep, If blokes backed off a bit with bids on multiple items then it would make it cheaper all round.  

Not so good for the seller though.  :_

I buy and sell a fair bit and 99.8 % of the sellers I deal with are great.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Ripped off
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 12:36:58 am »
I just picked up an export brace just today I won on eBay.
Pickup with COD , so thought no problem.

Guy selling said he was at Philip Island for the MotoGP, so his son would be there. Brace was supposed to be new, never used.
Never used maybe, but not new ! Had scratches and even rusty bits. I will paint it I guess. After driving an hour what was I gonna do ? The son would have just said he knew nothing.

Ugh.

WillI buy again on eBay ? Probably .

All I can do is give the guy a bad rating.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Ripped off
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 11:56:38 am »
I give Ebay 3 thumbs up! :(:(:(
I've bought heaps of stuff from overseas (including the Mustang!!) & almost all transactions have been spot on. My advice to anyone buying big items is, research the seller. Look at their rating & check ALL their feedback. Look out for "positive" feedback with not so positive comments. Many buyers are afraid to post bad feedback in case they get the same in return. People in this situation aren't gonna give glowing comments.

Evan.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Ripped off
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 09:23:58 pm »
I gave negative feedback to that effect.

Basically I should not have gone thru with the transaction, but after driving for an hour I figured I may as well take it.
Just needs a lick of paint and they dont seem to come up often locally.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
Ripped off
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 02:18:25 pm »
Hi all
I buy all the time on ebay with no real problems, you just have to do your homework, if you are unsure of seller once you have won an item get there contact details and call them, thats the first thing i do, you can generally get an idea on the person once you have spoken to them, i have just recently purchased 4 cars off ebay and craigslist, and now have 4 more friends who want to buy me a beer when i am next in the states.....the biggest rule to remember if it sounds to good and cheap it usually is, you get what you pay for........ cheers mark