How's this.....................

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: How's this.....................  (Read 1441 times)

Offline warmride

• Stallion
    • www.mikesmustang.iinet.net.au
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:25:50 pm »
Never really been happy with any of the right hand dash pieces I’ve seen that are made by the usual RHD converters including the ones that were made for my last fastback.  For that reason I decided that, for my latest project, I was going to fabricate something different.  I didn't want radical but something that looked like it belonged.

Well it ended up being bigger than Star Wars and I couldn’t calculate how much has gone into it so far, but below is a screen snapshot of the cluster bezel for starters. We’ve extended the section on the right further down than the original, so it will match perfectly with the trim on the opposite side (above the glovebox) which we’ve also created.  The A/C vent will be identical on both sides and replicate the original passenger version except they will be mirrored. This is because I won’t be using the standard heater and A/C controls, but electronic controls by Vintage Air which will be fitted into a custom enclosure below the stereo but grafted into the steel of the dash.

All the dash pieces and A/C vents will be billet CNC machined.  All the visible parts will be polished but I’ll still use the brushed aluminium inserts albeit custom RHD versions to match the new dash pieces.

I’m building it as a one-off, so I’m hoping it will look pretty cool when it’s eventually done.  I’ll post some more pics as it progresses.

Warmride

PS: I’ll also be building custom instruments to fit in the standard cluster for a retro look (when I get around to it).

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:58:10 pm »
Looking good Mike, I would like to catch up sometime and discuss the custom instruments a bit further.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline warmride

• Stallion
    • www.mikesmustang.iinet.net.au
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 05:13:07 pm »
Hey Nassi,
Sorry for the late response mate, haven't logged on in a couple of weeks.
When I get round to making the instruments I'll let you know.  I'm hoping to use stepper motors but will have to design the electronic drivers for them and at the rate I'm going,  if this holds up my project, I'll probably just fit the standard gauges (and Mini-Tach of course) in the short term and do something with the electronics later.  
I'll drop you a message when I get something sorted.
Cheers, Mike

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:48 pm »
Originally posted by warmride
Hey Nassi,
Sorry for the late response mate, haven't logged on in a couple of weeks.
When I get round to making the instruments I'll let you know.  I'm hoping to use stepper motors but will have to design the electronic drivers for them and at the rate I'm going,  if this holds up my project, I'll probably just fit the standard gauges (and Mini-Tach of course) in the short term and do something with the electronics later.  
I'll drop you a message when I get something sorted.
Cheers, Mike

That could quite interesting mate. RS used to have a good selection drivers if thats any use to you.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 07:27:41 pm »
ONE OFF???  Think of your Buddies!!  There's a big market for 67/8 dash facia's..