Help (from Virginia)

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Help (from Virginia)  (Read 4562 times)

Offline z_moonchild

• L Plates
Help (from Virginia)
« on: April 10, 2006, 09:23:49 pm »
Hello,
I live in Virginia, USA and own five American Mustangs and two Australian Falcons, and I’d like to learn more about the 1965 & 1966 Mustangs that were built in Australia, somewhere in the area of 209 were built (and converted by Ford Australia to right-hand drive, at least that's what I've been told). There’s a person named "Aussie Bob" who knows the history of these Mustangs. There’s also a person named Colin Falso (who owns one of these Mustangs), he apparently knows about these cars as well. And I’m sure plenty of you know about them too, including any Ford Historians.
Is there anyway that could put me in contact with one of these people of at least someone who knows the history?  I just wanted to learn more about thses cars.
Thanks for any help you can give,
Zoom

P.S.
Here’s the links that show the pictures of my Falcons (listed under Zoomzoom Moonchild), both of my 67 Mustangs are parked next to the Red Falcon:
http://xbgt.info/couperegistry74.html
(the 2nd car on the list)

http://xbgt.info/couperegistry74d.html
(about half way down the list)

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Help (from Virginia)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:14 pm »
Hi z_moonchild, welcome aboard. I could be wrong (usually am), but I think the "Australian Mustangs" were actually built in the USofA and converted by Ford Australia at the Geelong plant.
Can't help with the people you are seeking but hope someone else can as it would be good to know more about these cars. I have only seen one with an Australian ID tag and have no idea of the authenticity.
Just read something to contradict my Geelong theory.
Good luck with your search and please keep us informed.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Help (from Virginia)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 08:44:55 pm »
z_moonchild, here is a quote from one of the many books around.
" Some 1965 and 1966 Mustangs were sold through Ford Australia after being imported in built up condition and converted to RHD locally. Of the 209 cars involved- which were fitted with Austarlian compliance plates- 161 were 1966 models and the remainder 1965. All were Hardtops (most with 6 cylinder engines) and the RHD conversion work was performed at Ford's Homebush (Sydney) plant using Falcon and Compact Fairlane steering components. The instrument panel was switched to RHD layout by using locally fabricated assemblies.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline ThunderKiss

• Thoroughbred
Help (from Virginia)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 10:01:59 pm »
Nice number plate on the red one Z!  Are either of your Falcons the one I read about in "Street Machine" magazine a few years ago?  The story was about a coupe John Taverna exported to the USA.
Nassi, the Ford plant here in Geelong is mainly casting, stamping, and I think they still do engine assembly in Geelong as well.  No cars were ever assembled here (not in the last 50 years anyhow).

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Help (from Virginia)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 09:22:51 pm »
"No cars were ever assembled here (not in the last 50 years anyhow)."
Yeah I apologise for that piece of guestermation.
I was struggling with the thought that anything good might have come out of Geelong :+ glad you have cleared that up.:(
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline ThunderKiss

• Thoroughbred
Help (from Virginia)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 07:28:29 pm »
Originally posted by nassi

I was struggling with the thought that anything good might have come out of Geelong :+ glad you have cleared that up.:(
nassi

;}:+