Steering Wheel Heights and Locations.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Heights and Locations.  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
« on: April 07, 2006, 08:41:55 pm »
hi,
i was wondering if someone could give me some insight as to how a genuine LHD car steering is for height over the seat...and how far back it sits...

i realise that when falcon coloums were fitted they are longer as such the wheel sits too far over the sit...

with the installation of an rrs rack and it double steering shaft instead of an x.... rag joint..it is now possible to drop the bttom of the stering clomn dwon a bit...

just want to what is right...
ie height over seat and where the wheel sit over the seat if it sits over the seat at all

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 10:03:25 am »
Bashfull, i have a 66 converted with Falcon parts, the column is actually shorter and that puts the wheel over the front of the seat bun. I only have 4 1/4 inch clearance, not really enough. The fitment of the RRS rack and pinion didnt alter this as they only modify the inner shaft. Any help?
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 05:49:16 am »
i have been thinking ,,,with the demise of the limited falcon rag joint with an rrs rack....that maybe i might be able to drop the column dwon a smigen to can some better clearnace in that area....

q. i already have a set of rrs struts with a modified falcon setup ie rhd conversion ..do you think the sterring conversion was worth it...

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:52:47 am »
I had everything fitted at the same time, so cant say if the struts or the R&P made the most difference. What I can say is it is a very different car to drive, a HUGE improvement.
Another thing which has helped driveability is a thicker steering wheel and this may be a cheaper way to achieve your goal ie a 13" sports wheel perhaps. Just a thought.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:18:10 am »
Bashfull.
I'll do a couple of measurements tonight.
Are you using a standard steering wheel? if so just a vertical measurement from the floor to the bottom of the rim, and a measurement along the shaft fron the metal dash surface tot he rim should do??

Brad

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:17:21 pm »
jusat some mearuements about how far above the seat an original sits and maybe how far away from the dash it sits would be very much appriecated.....

Offline convertable67

• Pony
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 07:26:43 pm »
For what its worth my 67 is still LHD and i wouldnt change it for anything. I think it adds charecter and appeal, mind you  it calls for a big run up if you lan to pass a truck on a 2 lane road

Cheers