'66 Restomod!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: '66 Restomod!  (Read 4316 times)

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:29:08 pm »
So the PONY is finally home!

After waiting about 3 months to organise it and driving 1900kms in about 30hrs, the 66 Coupe is finally in it’s new stable. OK – so it’s not much to look at right now, but this one time Springtime Yellow stang is ready for the resto/mod that I have planned for it...

I brought this off my step dad as it was sitting in the paddock wasting away while he has been busy with other projects (68 Fastback, 71 F100) and taking care of my sick mum.

Engine: has a 302 in it that runs quite well for a car that has been sitting for a couple of years. So will only require a freshen up and couple of new bits.

Body: this is where majority of the work is required. There are quite a few rust spots around the place, but all in all it’s fairly straight for a 42 year old car!

Interior: is in very good condition with a few little rips in the drivers seat but the rest will be salvageable.

Here are a couple of pics on the way home. More to come :)

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:17:38 pm »
Have fun Boo81

I'm sure you'll enjoy it when it's ready, and hope you have fun restoring it too.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:04:29 pm »
Well done mate, Go the Springtime. :(
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:34:03 am »
All the best with the build mate.There is so much restomod stuff available for the '65/'66 'stangs.  Remember 'patience' is the key. If you find any extra patience, send me some. he he.
Well wishes to your mum too mate!

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys :)

I had some time yesterday, so I took it down the to car wash to get rid of some of the snails from on the engine and to tidy it up a little. Here are some pictures of the stang and a the troublesome areas...

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:13:33 pm »
A couple of new/replacement parts ready to go...

Front and rear bumpers

Here are a couple of vids of how she runs

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:48:14 pm »
Looks like a pretty old RHD conversion, any idea on the history of the car? I notice they haven't cut and shut the fire wall.

Offline Red 66

• Worked
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:31:16 pm »

:(  Congrats Boo, Nothing better than having a Mustang in your garage, let alone a 66 and a Red one at that !! :+:+:+

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 08:31:52 pm »
Let the fun begin :+
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:09 am »
Originally posted by shaunp
Looks like a pretty old RHD conversion, any idea on the history of the car? I notice they haven't cut and shut the fire wall.  

Sorry I have no idea who or when the RHD conversion was done, I also have no idea what you mean about cut and shut the fire wall? should I be concerned?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:43:07 am »
Originally posted by boo81
Originally posted by shaunp

Sorry I have no idea who or when the RHD conversion was done, I also have no idea what you mean about cut and shut the fire wall? should I be concerned?  

Depends on how it steers I guess. Typical early RHD coversion on an early car was likley done with a Compact Fairlanne drag link etc. But I'd be paying close attention during the rebuild to the method of conversion, to make sure it's ok & doesn't drive like a pig.

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 06:28:48 pm »
Hi
Just in case you are interested i have a container leaving states soon can get you parts at the right price ...cheers Mark

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 02:42:50 pm »
Got out on Sunday and took some pictures. Shows there is a fair bit of work, but more importantly it shows me how much potential it has :+

Offline 2+266

• Worked
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 08:12:43 pm »
must have been a bit fresh down at christies on the weekend Boo! :+ have you got gas shocks in the rear mate?

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 11:35:23 am »
It's not much of an update, the pony has been sitting in the shed of late due to lack of $$'s (saving for a wedding & house) but it's something...

I have pulled off the front fenders, doors and bonnet to start on the body work. couple of pics of how much I have done so far. It's not much, but it's something  

every now and then I think about the work that is required to get this thing looking and running perfectly again and wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew, given it's the first time I have done anything like this... eh - time will tell I guess...

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 08:41:55 pm »
It must be tough saving for a wedding and a house, and trying top get a bit done on the Mustang to boot.

Interesting that it still has the rarely seen Metuchen New Jersey factory wavy body buck tag on the left inner guard.

Did you know those little holes in it aren't rust, but the punch outs of the workers to confirm that all the dealer ordered extras were fitted.

Pity you couldn't just whack it back together and get some driving enjoyment until you wrap up the other priorities. A bit of rust killer, then red paint applied with an artist's brush, and the rusty spots are concealed quite well. It mightn't be concours, but at least you'll have the thrill of being mobile in a Mustang, unlike about 9999 out of 10,000 of the population.

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 10:14:20 pm »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
It must be tough saving for a wedding and a house, and trying top get a bit done on the Mustang to boot.

Interesting that it still has the rarely seen Metuchen New Jersey factory wavy body buck tag on the left inner guard.

Did you know those little holes in it aren't rust, but the punch outs of the workers to confirm that all the dealer ordered extras were fitted.

Pity you couldn't just whack it back together and get some driving enjoyment until you wrap up the other priorities. A bit of rust killer, then red paint applied with an artist's brush, and the rusty spots are concealed quite well. It mightn't be concours, but at least you'll have the thrill of being mobile in a Mustang, unlike about 9999 out of 10,000 of the population.

It does make it a little tough, but I am going to be selling my 'other' pride and joy (BA XR6) to get a bike and free up some money to put into this.

Well there you go! I had no idea about that... do you know if there is a way to find out what the options were?

I am planning on straightening out the body and then spraying it out myself in hope to have it back on the road in the next 3 months. But I did think about just touching it up until all the other stuff was out the way, but I figure that I have started on the body work now, so with some time and effort I can get it sorted.

All a massive learning curve though, as I have never done anything with cars until this past 12 months. But I am getting there, just might need to lean on some people for some help when it comes to the engine setup...;2

Offline boo81

• Pony
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:23 pm »
It's been a while since I posted anything or even really did anything on the coupe, due to numerous reasons (excuses)...

But thought I would get into it again over the weekend and this week. Still a LONG way to go, but any progress is better than none, right?? :_

Here are a few pics...

Offline spud

• Thoroughbred
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 08:53:39 pm »
Just keep thinking how cool it will be when you drive it out and its finished.

;2:a

spud.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »
May the force be with you Luke - er, I mean boo81!  
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline 67TTCoupe

• Worked
'66 Restomod!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 08:50:24 am »
So Ben this is your beast. after U2U i though i check out your ride.

Sweet RHD and regod. at least the difficult part is done :(

bit of work ahead of you but dont get too worried. keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. it will get closer and become bigger.

im also bit like you new house and full time work plus 3 or 4 car projects on the go keep loosing track now and eventualy a wedding too. :_

we get there.

im still waitng to clear up some room before i can even bring my mustang over. hopefully in next two weeks.

Did go through Regency yesterday one of my project cars needed inspection BA XR6 and went through,had a good chat with inspector regarding mustangs.

since yours is regod and RHD mines only RHD we could do preety much whatever we want with them in regards to mods. ie biger brakes, engine mods etc.....

anyway if you need anything give me a hoy. will gladly join forces to see our projects finished quicker and cheaper ;+

johnny