Another Newbie Wanting A Stang.. (Ebay Q)

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Another Newbie Wanting A Stang.. (Ebay Q)  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Maz78

• Stallion
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:44:30 pm »
Hi Folks,

I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks trying to read up on some Mustang info. Apologies if my questions have been rehashed a thousand time by previous posts. :)

Basically I'm after a 65-67 Stang. (Wish I could afford a FB but $$ don't allow right now). I'm not after a show pony (hehe) but a very nice clean weekend toy. I've always wanted a Mustang and since selling my beloved Jap rocket (Supra Twin Turbo) I'd love to get my original dream car. :)

I'm wondering how many people have purchased a Mustang on ebay or similar website. Is it worthwhile doing so for the sake of saving $$? What is involved in doing so? I've seen local Stangs on carpoint etc but the prices seem fairly high in comparison to what's available in the US.

I realise there are import duties, GST etc etc but I assume it still works in your favour financially to purchase OS?? As mentioned earlier, I'm after a clean ride (no rust issues) but am not too concerned if it needs interior work or a new paint job. My budget including importing would be around $12 - $15k. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Many thanks!!

Cheers,

Mark.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:08:56 pm »
Hiya,

I have a 67 that i will be selling in a few weeks time. within your budget.. let me know if you are interested.. i will send some pics..

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:48:50 am »
My Mussy (65 coupe) only owes me about $12-15K.
I bought it in the states, (US$3K), shipped it full of parts, put a new 5L roller reco engine and replaced/rebuilt almost everything mechanical, new interior, wheels etc. I now drive it (well for another couple of weeks until rego runs out, as I have to buy a family car) with the dodgy flat black dented bodywork it came with, and it is a reliable daily driver. All it needs is the body/paint work done.
But then it will owe me about $20K. Mind you I did 90% of the work myself, so if youre not mechanically minded you can triple that figure as labour is the big killer.

James.

Offline Maz78

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:49:20 am »
Appreciate the replies guys. Brett_T I'd love to see some pics of the stang you're selling.
Jamessydney -> Where did you purchase your stang from? Do you have any pics of it prior to all the work being done?

I wouldn't say I'm mechanically minded but do have a lot of friends that are. I'm happy to do bits and pieces as it goes so even if it isn't running for months due to it being worked on, that doesn't bother me. Were the interior bits and pieces pricey?? Do you have a ballpark figure for a new interior (Without labour)?

Sorry for all the questions guys but I appreciate it!

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:03:28 pm »
Maz, send me your email address through a message.. I will send you some pics.. The 67 has a brand new- total interior with it..  it is a " C" code car... i will send more details with the pics.., I will be selling it for around the 11 K mark..

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »
It looks the same now as when I bought it, from the outside anyways...
I found it in the back streets of South Central L.A.
The standard interior kit; seat vinyls, carpet, dash pad, roof lining, parcel tray and door trims was only $500.00. The reproduction industry for Mustangs is huge , cheap and extensive.

James.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:48:25 pm »
Yes James-  "Repro parts are Cheap.. you said it in one.. CHEAP.. Authentic parts are not..  ..:f;2

message sent Maz..

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 07:45:50 pm »
Nasty Brett
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:11:24 am »
Originally posted by Brett_T
Yes James-  "Repro parts are Cheap.. you said it in one.. CHEAP.. Authentic parts are not..  ..:f;2

message sent Maz..  

Nasty but true...
But when it comes to someone who really cant afford a luxury like a Mustang, buying repo does the trick! Better than not having a Mussy at all, which is the alternative...
Whats wrong Brett, was I stuffing up your sales pitch, terribly sorry mate:w
James.

Offline Maz78

• Stallion
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 02:59:53 pm »
Originally posted by jamessydney
It looks the same now as when I bought it, from the outside anyways...
I found it in the back streets of South Central L.A.
The standard interior kit; seat vinyls, carpet, dash pad, roof lining, parcel tray and door trims was only $500.00. The reproduction industry for Mustangs is huge , cheap and extensive.

James.

South Central LA? No bullet holes or rap CD's left in it??
:p

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 04:51:18 pm »
No but I was scared as f#$% taking cash down there.
Turned out to be a lovely Mexican family...

I was singing "straight outa Compton..."

James.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »
James.. a mustang sells it self.. as you may already know.... you didnt stuff anything up mate.. the cars sell them selves.. and it wouldnt even matter if they had paintbrush paint jobs.. good to see your car is looking good..  thought i saw it a few weeks ago.. looked nice..:w Take it as a compliment...

Offline Horsepower

• L Plates
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 07:26:17 pm »
Hi brett_t, i am looking for a 67-68. can you send some pics through to me also. Thanks. What code is the car? Auto or manual.?

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 07:54:48 pm »
Check your U2U Horsepower..

Offline Horsepower

• L Plates
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:03:19 pm »
Thanks..When will you have the car here? I will email my details if you want to call me before it arrives.

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 08:25:43 am »
Originally posted by Brett_T
James.. a mustang sells it self.. as you may already know.... you didnt stuff anything up mate.. the cars sell them selves.. and it wouldnt even matter if they had paintbrush paint jobs.. good to see your car is looking good..  thought i saw it a few weeks ago.. looked nice..:w Take it as a compliment...  

Does that even make sense?
Oh yeah, I take that person insult as a compliment...
I was just offering the guy some advice of my experience
I dont think putting someone elses ride down (no matter how crap it looks)
is in the spirit of this forum.
No need to be rude mate.
James.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:20:34 am »
No James, I was sincere, your car looked good..  sorry if it came across the wrong way... I was not meaning to be rude at all.. From what i saw of your car i actually commented to a friend who was with me, that it had a nice ride height, and actually sat nicer than the 65 i had.., and i didnt think it looked crap at all..

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 01:12:50 pm »
You caught me at a moody moment..
No hard feelings.

James.

Offline SexyChik67

• L Plates
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 09:36:24 am »
Hi there Max78

Good to see your on the look for a classic. I got my car from shermatt International in Florida. I joined there mailing list about 5 months ago and they found me the cheapest red 67 convertible (its on there cars sold).

They have one on there at the moment, its a 65 v8 converts for like $13-14 landed. check em out, join there mailing list. They get some cheap stuff every now and then....they had a "A" code about 4 weeks back for $4K.Theyve got a fast back for 48k but its a 6 banger

There is another mob in miami aswell that I checked out but they respond every 3 days and felt a bit laid back but I can find that addy if ya want it.

oh yeah...oops website help huh   www.shermatt.com or shermattInt.com or shermattinternational.com

Hope it works out for ya.

Offline 65pony

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 10:11:06 am »
Hi Maz78

Your best option would be to buy from the states. If you look around you will find a nice clean car.

Your best option would be to look in California as most of the Pony's there have stayed away from the snow.

With your price range you should find something really nice!! or atleast half decent that needs a lil bit of TLC.

With the money transfer security, ask you bank they might have some security you can take out but do some research into the car first. Make sure it's not too good to be true etc..

Let us know if you need anymore help

Offline Maz78

• Stallion
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply Sxychik67 and 65pony!
BTW: I just noticed Matt has made a post regarding his website. Will check it out!

BTW: Got any pics of your Stang Sxychik67?

Offline tbk

• Pony
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 05:09:35 pm »
Hey Mark,

I wanted to import direct from the states, but for me i couldnt send all that cash over there in the end. I managed to buy my 68 fastback on ebay instead. There was some tense moments but the seller was good. He even went out of his way to deliver the car to the freight depot which was nice. It cost me $2K to get it to the depot in my town (more than half way around the country).

Mine is a Californian... the seller had just imported it and reckons he looked high and low to find a car in this condition (re: being rust free, not the amazing mirror finish of the paint haha).

Anyway, im sure i paid more for my mustang than a person importing one. During the bidding war i ended up paying $2,000 more than the reserve price...not sure, it was something like that.

The reality is ive now got a loan that needs to be paid off and a crap load of work that needs to be done in order to create my dream car.

But Mark, I cannot describe the feeling once this car was in my carport. Best feeling ever.

Chris

Offline Maz78

• Stallion
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 11:46:52 pm »

Hey Chris,

Love your last line. I know what you mean. hehe
I was like that with my last Jap rocket but have always wanted a Stang that I love!
From your reply looks like you purchased your Stang through Ebay AUS?

Originally posted by tbk
Hey Mark,

I wanted to import direct from the states, but for me i couldnt send all that cash over there in the end. I managed to buy my 68 fastback on ebay instead. There was some tense moments but the seller was good. He even went out of his way to deliver the car to the freight depot which was nice. It cost me $2K to get it to the depot in my town (more than half way around the country).

Mine is a Californian... the seller had just imported it and reckons he looked high and low to find a car in this condition (re: being rust free, not the amazing mirror finish of the paint haha).

Anyway, im sure i paid more for my mustang than a person importing one. During the bidding war i ended up paying $2,000 more than the reserve price...not sure, it was something like that.

The reality is ive now got a loan that needs to be paid off and a crap load of work that needs to be done in order to create my dream car.

But Mark, I cannot describe the feeling once this car was in my carport. Best feeling ever.

Chris