jme gauge cluster

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: jme gauge cluster  (Read 4397 times)

Offline wicked1

• L Plates
jme gauge cluster
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:21:29 pm »
would like to get a 69 gauge cluster, like jme now makes, and i was wondering if anyone knows of an australian distributor.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:46 pm »
Originally posted by wicked1
would like to get a 69 gauge cluster, like jme now makes, and i was wondering if anyone knows of an australian distributor.

Don't think they have a dealer here dude!  Got one for my '69 a few years ago and if things haven't changed I would like to advise you to order up ASAP because they have a very long wait time.  Quality is excellent though;{!

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:31:52 pm »
Is your 69 LHD?

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:33:29 pm »
why not just import one from the US.  This is what I am looking at doing shortly.

Im going to replace all the gauges with new ones and put an electronic KPH speedo.

My 40 y.o gauges are starting to fail and are inaccurate.  Im also concerned that the revenue raising...i mean safety concious government is eventaully going to nab me for doing a few miles over he posted limit.

These JME clusters look great, and appear to be a relatively simple install.  Any one got these that can advise what they think.

Mustang Depot sells them with Auto Meter Gauges, but you could source gauges some locally if you didnt want these.  The harness looks good with this setup, uses all the same colour wires.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:44:45 pm »
Originally posted by Troy_H
why not just import one from the US.  This is what I am looking at doing shortly.

Im going to replace all the gauges with new ones and put an electronic KPH speedo.

My 40 y.o gauges are starting to fail and are inaccurate.  Im also concerned that the revenue raising...i mean safety concious government is eventaully going to nab me for doing a few miles over he posted limit.

These JME clusters look great, and appear to be a relatively simple install.  Any one got these that can advise what they think.

Mustang Depot sells them with Auto Meter Gauges, but you could source gauges some locally if you didnt want these.  The harness looks good with this setup, uses all the same colour wires.

Be careful with their freight prices, expensive!  I had my 69 dash fitted with sport comp metric black guages. I had the Autometer KPH fitted(No cable required), VERY EXPENSIVE! They dont do RHD dashs

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:45:56 pm »
Mines a RDH 65, I believe the cluster should just change straight over considering the factory one did.  69 model may well be different as you have said, Im not sure about this point.

Ill check it out anyway.  Getting a freight price shortly.  

Freight was OK on my radiator from Cal Mustang, worked out cheaper than buying it locally.  Im just trying to be careful about gettin hit for GST and customs inspection when it lands.

Offline wicked1

• L Plates
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:12:44 pm »
thanks for the help, i am rhd but the dash conversion seems to be a side to side swap.  worst info i got today from jme was the nearly $500.00 shipping cost which combined with other fees and initial purchase  price topped 2 grand. nice product, but maybe too high for me.  cheers

Offline Horselover

• Worked
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:04 pm »
I have the JME dash in my 65 RHD convertible. ;{ I use VDO gauges with a kmh speedo.  I installed the gauges in the same locations as in the dash of my old AU XR6.;_

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:36:25 pm »
Originally posted by wicked1
thanks for the help, i am rhd but the dash conversion seems to be a side to side swap.  worst info i got today from jme was the nearly $500.00 shipping cost which combined with other fees and initial purchase  price topped 2 grand. nice product, but maybe too high for me.  cheers

Yeah sounds about right. When i purchased mine the OZ dollar was 82 and after customs delt their blow the cost was about $3000.;x   And now I'm butchering it;] coz its for my RHD and the colomn part is offcentre and I have an XF colomn withXC trim so it looks better than the square XF trim.;w

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:02:12 am »
Did you have any probs with the Cluster fitting horselover?

It looks like a simple job for the 65-66 model.

Shipping is hefty on these items, cant really understand why?  I got a whole radiator shipped for $250, but instruments that would fit in a box half the size come to more.  I may just buy a ticket and collect them myself.  At least its a subsidised holiday as well.

Offline Horselover

• Worked
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:16:55 pm »
Hi Troy,

Fitting the cluster was very easy.  It fits straight in the dash.:p
I made my own wiring loom as the insulation on the original was very brittle.  
I just drew up a circuit and then found the existing wires in the loom and on the electrical wiring diagram and pretty much copied it using my own colour and labelling scheme.;4
My favourite wire is 7 core trailer wire.:f
I also made labels for each wire in 8 point print on my computer and used clear heat shrink to label both ends of every wire.:(
Makes for easier troubleshooting.;w
It's not that hard.
Good luck! :+

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
jme gauge cluster
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 08:56:08 am »
Sound good, just need to find someone that uses a decent mailing company to send items.  They must use DHL or one of the courier businesses that charge an arm and a leg.  It cant be that big a box so $300-$500 shipping is crazy.  

Surely US mail would be $100 tops.