Belts

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Belts  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
Belts
« on: March 18, 2006, 06:52:28 am »
I have been having a serious lok at fitting a new set of three point seat belts that are becomeing quite popular in the states.....
The question is while the would make me safer in my car...what are the legalities considering that dont meet any ADR's

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
Belts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 10:45:44 pm »
Surely the fitting of 3 point belts can only improve the safety aspect of your car .Isn,t it a legal requirement that passenger safety is paramount  Enough said.  legalities are for lawyers cars are for driving unfortunately the two are worlds apart.

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
Belts
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:09:55 am »
G'day,
    in Vic there is some obscure Law that hints that any REPLACEMENT seatbelt fitted to a car must carry the tag that lists the Australian Design Rule to which it complies.

If your car arrived in australia with lap only belts, then they are passable.  If they are shagged and you wish to replace them, then they must carry the ADR tag....good luck finding some!

This is REALLY an obscure area.    (brain working overtime)
As it stands from an insurance point of view.  If the belts are as fitted to factory...i.e in your case lap only, then they are happy.  If you have to go through an engineer, then the Registration Mob and your insurance will honour whatever the engineer signs on.

You don't mention if your car is registered or not.  If it is registered then you won't have too much problem at all..legally as you have 'improved' or 'updated' the safety level of your vehicle.

Possibly the biggest issue you face is are you actually going to improve the safety of your car?

A three point belt incorrectly mounted is actually capable of doing more damage than a lap belt.   A lap belt, you may smash your snozz on the wheel, but an incorrect 3 point will break your back.

If you are serious, and want to do it right! consult an engineer, if not to sign on it, at LEAST for good sound advice on the quality of the kit, and getting the mount hieghts correct.

Cheers
Jas

Offline 64half

• Stallion
Belts
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 09:22:40 pm »
I thnk in NSW, whatever the car was released with is ok. ie if there was nothing in the back then that is fine. As far as upgrading then i think its a case of the the more (or more safe) the better. If that makes sense? Having said that, whatever is fitted must be in working order.

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
Belts
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 01:54:06 pm »
Originally posted by jas24zzk
G'day,
    in Vic there is some obscure Law that hints that any REPLACEMENT seatbelt fitted to a car must carry the tag that lists the Australian Design Rule to which it complies.

If your car arrived in australia with lap only belts, then they are passable.  If they are shagged and you wish to replace them, then they must carry the ADR tag....good luck finding some!

This is REALLY an obscure area.    (brain working overtime)
As it stands from an insurance point of view.  If the belts are as fitted to factory...i.e in your case lap only, then they are happy.  If you have to go through an engineer, then the Registration Mob and your insurance will honour whatever the engineer signs on.

You don't mention if your car is registered or not.  If it is registered then you won't have too much problem at all..legally as you have 'improved' or 'updated' the safety level of your vehicle.

Possibly the biggest issue you face is are you actually going to improve the safety of your car?

A three point belt incorrectly mounted is actually capable of doing more damage than a lap belt.   A lap belt, you may smash your snozz on the wheel, but an incorrect 3 point will break your back.

If you are serious, and want to do it right! consult an engineer, if not to sign on it, at LEAST for good sound advice on the quality of the kit, and getting the mount hieghts correct.

Cheers
Jas

call your local roadworthy authority like vicroads etc they will have a roadworthiness department

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
Belts
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:04:13 pm »
Calling Vic-Roads is worthless.
Everyone there will have a different opinion.  If you do call them however, make the exercise meaningful and get thier opinion in WRITING.

Cheers
Jas

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
Belts
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:54 pm »
from the words of a NSW engineer....

they would like the new belts made with an ADR tag...
and an engineer to sign off  that i installed them correctly....

From the law side....if you remove your seat blets to say install some new carpet and bolt the same ones back in...you would need an engineer to sign off that they have been correctly re-installed...