68 fastback quarters

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 68 fastback quarters  (Read 4283 times)

Offline JJZ109

• P Plates
68 fastback quarters
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:46:41 am »
Yes thats right.
Finally Cal-Mustangs and Mustangsunlimited stock new quarter skins! Has anyone purchased these parts? Has anyone bought off either before? What were they like to deal with?

www.cal-mustang.com
www.mustangsunlimited.com

I've even seen them on www.eBay.com
BTW. Cal-mustangs is quite pricey and would cost in excess of AU$2,000 landed...What to do?

Offline JJZ109

• P Plates
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:11:19 pm »
Thanks Phill!

It turns out that Pete has 67 quarters, however not for the early 68 of which is mine (with recessed reflector). With a bit of coaxing, ill get them looking fine no doubt.

Regards and thanks again

Daniel

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 12:11:41 am »
Be Careful here,
     terminology.  Skins are just that.
The image attatched are Assemblies.    Always go for the assembly, and not the skins.

There are whole host of new panels coming available now. and the quality is getting beter.

Jas

Offline JJZ109

• P Plates
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 02:56:04 pm »
Good point Jas
I have to look into it all again and clarify that exact point. Thanks for the heads-up.
i am definatly after the assembly complete with flanges and lap joins.

Daniel

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 10:28:03 pm »
G'day,
    your post is timely!   I was speaking with Steve Lond today about just such panels, and your post reminded me to check.
Goto   www.dynacorn.com

click on new parts, select Mustang, 1967 and then press search.  You will find my reccomendation in there.  
The downside is you will have to order it from your preferred parts supplier and then wait!

Cheers
Jas

Offline JJZ109

• P Plates
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 07:34:37 pm »
Hi Jas
Does this mean that Steve Lond can get in for me the Dynacorn product? Waiting isnt a problem since there is a conversion to do before the body gets done.

Thanks
Daniel

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 01:34:14 am »
Daniel,
       without being too forward, if you know of a dynacorn product that is available, and it appears available, i am sure he will get it for you.  He will probably want a non-refundable deposit, but if it is available, and you order it from him, he WILL get it.

Without bagging anyone else in the stang parts game here in Oz, Steve is a true enthusiast who loves the cars, and is beyond simply seeing them as a money making exercise.

He may also be the MOCA Vic president, but he truly wants to see everyones project realise thier dream.

Men like Steve in the business , who are passionate beyond the dollar are dying in droves...steve never will....He simply loves mustangs, and for that reason is your BEST port of call for newly available parts..he WILL order it, and he WON'T forget.
(steve seems to only like early model stuff...if you like laters...69/70 the Mark Dixon from Capital Classics is your man)

Cheers
Jas

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 06:48:21 am »
Daniel/JJZ109
did you find out how much the rear quarter assemblies from Dynacorn would be?
Aaron.
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Offline JJZ109

• P Plates
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 02:24:20 pm »
Hi Aaron

I have spoken to the Presidential Steve at Mustangs of Melbourne, and was quoted $767ea for the quarters....FFFFaarr...
and Pete at EastCoast and was quoted $590 for 67 ones. I have a 68 though...

Jas is right about Steve getting them in for me, i will need to give him a deposit and then he'll order them for me, as long as where he gets them from has them in stock...will see soon. Thanks to Steve.

I really have no alternative apart from using coupe ones and modifing where needed. Sounds like a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to me. I'd prefer to use complete new ones as welding seams inside the trunk are unsightly...even though most repros dont fit perfectly. Again, will soon see.
Just to update, find attached a pic of my sorry looking 68 fastback. (sob...sniff...tear)

Offline JJZ109

• P Plates
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 05:00:24 pm »
Turns out that the only reproduction quarter panels available are the for the '67s only. '68 quarters are not made yet, and probably won't be.  Typical that the ones i need dont exist...

Still the '67 quarters, with a bit of skill and patience can look like the '68s, by replacing the C-scoop and surrounding area with my original and still ok-in-that-area quarters, and fitting the recess for the rear side marker reflectors.

Also, most of the US aftermarket sellers are refusing to ship such a large item like these quarters advertised on eBay internationally, as a shipping cost of $500+ per quarter is hard to justify. Fair nuff.

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 07:00:45 pm »
Hello again Daniel,
thanks for the update.
I've been at work too long, training someone who will probably end up replacing me ;}, so just to clarify, those prices you mentioned, were they just for the panels, or for the shipping?
[I actually thought that they would be dearer than that]

Aaron.
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 11:37:38 pm »
Daniel,
          i need to check, but you may better off with 65/66 lowers  (not skins!!)
Tomorrow (friday) I am working elsewhere  (actually doing FULL 66 f/back quarters), there is a 69 there, and on saturday i will be visiting another shop and will be able to compare models..and panels  (place i am going is right next to East Coast mustangs, and i have a free reign in his shop)

I am happy to do the research, as it is in my own interest anyway.  I should be able to get back to you this weekend, early next week.

With some more details, i can even liase with Steve on EXACTLY what you should be ordering!...after all his K-code is in my workshop.

Later than 67, not enough info is out there, and the post 67's are becoming more popular, so the expertise needs generating.

Cheers
Jas

PS...you not the guy steve gave my number to today are you?

Offline JJZ109

• P Plates
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 02:23:17 pm »
Hey Jas

No, I dont think Steve gave you my number.

65/66 quarters are very very different, they are much flatter in section. The 67/68 are very fat compared to the 65/66's. I have heard of 67/68 COUPE quarters being used on fastbacks, but not 65/66 lowers. They are different just about everywhere, but im open to ideas...See what Steve rekons...

Hey Aaron

That sux about your replacement, better have a scotch. Thats makes me feel better at work. :2
As for the prices, most US aftermarket suppliers like Cal-mustang and Mustangs Unlimited are charging US$399-$500 per quarter for exactly the same Dynacorn panel. Then add US$500+ for shipping and handling...
Could end up costing about US$1000 per side!!! (AU$1300)

Steve at Mustangs of Melbourne is asking AU$767 each, presuming i pick them up from his workshop, Pete at Eastcoast is asking a bit less, at AU$590 each, hasn't got any in stock and not sure when they will be available.
I will be placing a order with Steve later today.

Offline tims68

• Pony
68 fastback quarters
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 03:06:14 pm »
The new rear quarters I put on my 68 fastback didn't have the recess for the big reflector - my panelbeater transferred them from the old guards but getting the angle right was hell - even with photos we didn't know what to line them up to.  And the engine was out of the car so she was nose up, that didn't help either.  You might be passed this stage by now, if not Good luck.