1970 Help - new comer

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1970 Help - new comer  (Read 2543 times)

Offline bradinho

• P Plates
1970 Help - new comer
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:28:02 pm »
G'day guys & gals,
Desperate for an American classic/ muscle, and tossing up between Mustangs (I am a Ford fan), C3/4 Vette, or 77-79 Trans Am.
One Muzzi I came across is a 1970 "coupe" -

Now, can someone explain the differences/ evolution of 64-70? I've searched websites and not finding anything too helpful.... was this (car in picture) a replacement for the more popular coupes of earlier years, or an evolution of the fastback?

What are the key differences with this model that make it unpopular to enthusiasts (I came up to thornleigh for your club run a few weeks back to look at what you all had)? The owner refers to it as the "drivers" model - does this mean its less of a performance car/ more of a luxo-barge?

If anyone else has an EXCELLENT condition Mustang (64-70, fastback preferred, must be V8) in NSW at sub-25K (sub-30 convertible) feel free to contact me.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline dazza

• Pony
1970 Help - new comer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:25:03 am »
:]
Mate, for mustangs 1969 was the pinacle year that development was at its peak, anything else before was a build up and tapered off afterwards until 73.

I'm sure everyone here would agree with me :+

But seriously try sites like this, heaps of info on the web.

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/test.cgi?section=cmem/Ford/Mustang (click ford, then mustang)

Basically 3 body styles for the 70's, the coupe, verts, & fastbacks, coupes are probably the least desirable (hence cheaper price) but personally are my favorite body style!

The beauty of Mustangs was the hugh options list including engine sizes so very few are exactly the same, plenty being imported everyday so do some surfing on the web and check out whats available and compare options/prices.

Try ebay, trading post, carpoint etc

and sites like these:

http://www.justmustangs.com.au/forsale/

Offline bradinho

• P Plates
1970 Help - new comer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:50 pm »
Cheers for that.

In regards to 1970 specifically - was wheelbase lengthened, and in terms of handling/ ride combo how does it compare to '68/9?

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
1970 Help - new comer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:44:55 pm »
From 64 -70 the wheel base was 108 inches and from 71-73 it was increased to 109 inches.
For the 67 models the track was increased by 2.1 inches to allow easier fitment of the big block.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100