problem with guages

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: problem with guages  (Read 2515 times)

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
problem with guages
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:04:39 pm »
I have a problem with my dash guages in my 66.
The speedo is incredibly inaccurate, and sometimes the needle goes all the way to the 6 o'clock postition when stationary, and starts from there, so you are doing around 40mph berfore it hits zero. it also used to make a ticking noise.
the fuel guage also was inaccurate, and read 1/2 full when full. then it stopped working altogether. i earthed out the sender wire, and nothing changed, so i assume the sender is ok.
the other guages do not work, i believe the previous owner disconnected them, and installed Autometer's. although, i would have expected the amp meter to still work.

any help or tips appreciated, thanks
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
problem with guages
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:58:26 pm »
BLKPNY, if none of your instruments are working you have more than one problem. The fuel, temperature and oil pressure indicators all run from the Constant voltage unit so this common link may explain those three. As for the ampmeter, I dont know, I am yet to see one that works. I aim to fit a voltmeter intsead, and just leave the non functioning ampmeter in the dash.
The speedo is a drama as the pointer should come to rest under spring tension against a stop of some sort. The ticking could just be the cable or worse still the drag disc is catching, this could explain the pointer alignment. Your best bet is to take the speedo to an instrument shop, this way it can be calibrated as well as fixed. Sorry I dont know of any off hand.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
problem with guages
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:06:09 am »
is the constant voltage unit the little box on the back of the cluster? beside the speedo? can you buy it?
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor