Would you do a crate motor?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Would you do a crate motor?  (Read 3949 times)

Offline warmride

• Stallion
    • www.mikesmustang.iinet.net.au
« on: June 21, 2008, 07:41:58 pm »
The time has come to think about some power for the project.  I've been procrastinating over this for weeks and it's the one thing I remain undecided about.

Three options I've considered:

1. Get a local builder to supply me with a turn key job.  I've had one quote and it came in at around 25K for my spec.  

2. Import all the parts myself and get a shop to screw it all together for me.

3. Buy one of these from the states.

I'm leaning toward the last option and would like to know if anyone else has gone down this path?

Warmride

Offline victorypark

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:57:30 pm »
Hi there warmride......u might want to ask bumblebee on this site as he is in the process of importing a Roush engine from the states as we speak.  I personally haven't done it but would seriously consider it.  U don't even have to go O/S to do it....if u want a Roush u do but some of the crate engines u can buy here from say eagle spares, rocket industries etc are loaded with nice internals and would more then do the job.  

A good option though me thinks......

Just my 2 cents.

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:51:56 pm »
Having had an engine built I would go that way again(only for the fact that you know what is really in it)

If you want an engine when you want it, order a crate.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:19:44 pm »
Help's at your fingertips !.

Offline ortovosh

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:38:07 pm »
I hvae just ordered $600 worth of little bits and pieces from Mustangs Unlimited for my 302 rebuild...

Might take longer... but I am doing it exactly how I want... and I know it is getting doen right !

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 10:52:14 pm »
Hi warmride,

Any of these options can be great, just depends on what you want as the journey and the destination. I did my research with members, mechanics and vendors and that's how I made my decision.

I must say that the thing that pushed me over the edge to buy the Roush rather than have my local mechanic build, which were my two final choices was the conversation I had with Heven67 who was doing the local build. The next day I ordered the Roush engine! Having said that I'm sure he'll be happy with the result, I just didn't want to endure the journey.

BTW,Roush dropped the price by $2,500 as the block was the ford racing block and they now use the dart block, seamed like a bargain seeing they threw in a fully polished engine too.

If you want originality there's only one way to go!

Cheers Bee.
Cheers Bee

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 11:34:36 pm »
BTW, if you go with the Smeding, the Edelbrock Victor Jr is too tall for a stock bonnet so you'll need a scoop, otherwise configure the Edelbrock Air Gap, it's far stronger until 5,000 rpm and only a little behind to 6,000.  There's an interesting article on the web that compares a Victor Jr with an Air Gap and a Funnelweb, makes you think about what you'll be doing with the car for 90% of it's life and hence, what you really would like the engine to be good at because the difference at low and mid to upper range is surprising.

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline warmride

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 09:24:01 am »
Hey thanks for all the feedback!

As i said it's a quandary and I don't want to go overboard with the mill at least not initially.  One of my customers put me in contact with a builder in the USA who apparently does a top job for not much more than a crate.  Anyone heard of MCE Engines?

I really like the crate concept but the unknown factor is who screws 'em together - could be anyone from the supervisor to the janitor and like the old production line scenario, Friday's effort could be lot worse than a Wednesday's.

As the prices are pretty keen the other option maybe to buy the crate job and have it pulled down and blueprinted when it arrives - what do you reckon?

Bee, I kinda like the way your thinking and obviously you've done your homework as VP suggested. I've got one of the new Dynacorn metal framed fiberglass hoods with the 67 scoop so I'm hoping clearance won't be an issue.

Anyway, which Roush did you go with - got a link to a pic?

Warmride

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 12:42:36 pm »
I have a 351w block in my 66, so a full 1.3" taller than a 302 block, with a Edelbrock Super Victor intake. With a Holley and a low line aircleaner, I had to cut a hole for the airfilter, but it would hardly poke out more than 1".

I would definately pull a new crate motor down and check it, before firing it up.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline victorypark

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 04:41:08 pm »
I have done a bit of research on the Roush engines and read a really good article on those who put them together etc....this is one donk I would be confident buying sight unseen without the need to pull it down.  A nice solid warranty supports their workmanship and Jack Roush wouldn't put his name to anything of inferior quality.

I think bee is getting the 327 but I stand corrected if I am wrong.

Offline warmride

• Stallion
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 05:55:26 pm »
Yeah, I've had the luxury of a weekend off (flu) so I've been trawling the net looking for 427 stroker jobs and as some have pointed out the Roush looks a good option.  Sure they're about 50% more than some of the other mobs but you do get bang for your buck. WYSIWYG!

I also did my research on MCE Engines and I'm going to contact them as well.  They seem to get some good feedback from what I've found on the net and seem to put a lot of care into a build.  Check the links below:

Mustang & Fords article part 1
Mustang & Fords article part 2
Mustang Monthly article

I'm after something streetable 450 - 500hp so I'm looking to cubes for the solution.  Plus I always liked that magic 427 number................

Warmride

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 10:13:25 pm »
Hi warmride,

VP is right I am getting a 327AL. This is a 410HP engine, but it's replacement is the 327R, which has about 420HP and a dart block with everything in the crank etc forged, both have the bottom end girdle etc. The motors are warranted for 2 years and 40,000 klms and are warm run on their dyno's first and they send you your dyno spec sheet (50 dyno's at Roush!), somehow I don't think it would need pulling down first or suffer from Monday-itis or Friday-itis. Their engines go from 350-1050HP, I'd call to see if you could negotiate a deal on something that suits you, it worked for me. If so, that might bridge some of the cost gap. I guess if you stay away from some of the trick pieces like fuel injection and serpentine belts etc, you can keep the cost to a reasonable minimum. I always wanted a polished engine but wasn't going to pay the extra, but as luck had it the 327AL was being discontinued and the stock they had left were all polished, sometimes the stars line-up, but as you know, not often!

Yep, now 427 does sound pretty cool doesn't it...............good luck

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:27:42 am »
I have been thinking of getting a 347 stroker from these guys.

http://www.tandlengines.com/

Certainly great pricing , but I must admit I dont know much about them. Need to do more research. They quoted US$650 to ship to Melbourne plus US$60 crate fee.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 03:09:55 pm »
Have a look at Hawaii Racing Engines .They have some good crate deals.
Mustang and Fords mag often mention them
Stormin

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 07:00:20 pm »
Originally posted by warmride
The time has come to think about some power for the project.  I've been procrastinating over this for weeks and it's the one thing I remain undecided about.

Three options I've considered:

1. Get a local builder to supply me with a turn key job.  I've had one quote and it came in at around 25K for my spec.  

2. Import all the parts myself and get a shop to screw it all together for me.

3. Buy one of these from the states.

I'm leaning toward the last option and would like to know if anyone else has gone down this path?

Warmride

After finding this I am retracting my last statement........

http://www.pavtek.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=131&Itemid=19

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:08 pm »
Well aint that the whole enchilada! Surely there's room somewhere in there for a Paxton!!!

Nice one 2233

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »
Hey warmride, if you want some real mumbo, why not jump in and snap up that 427 side-oiler on page 230 of Unique Cars. 600HP should get the job done.

This mill was good enough to take Chris Amon to victory at LeMans in '66 and Dan Gurney in '67, and the beauty is that it will never depreciate, but just keep on gaining value, as it's an icon, and they ain't making them any more.

I'd love it myself, but there'd be trouble with "trouble" for sure.

Offline warmride

• Stallion
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 09:58:05 am »
I was originally wanting to do a supercharged 302 - you now something Clark Kentish, mild mannered until you need it and then it shows it's true colours.

Anyhow, according to our DPI which follows the NCOP rulings I can't supercharge anything larger than 4.6L for the fastback (based on the curb mass) but I can stuff a stinking naturally aspirated 7.7L monster under the bonnet!!  Go figure.  Rule must be there to deter the ricers or something.......

Had thought about the big block but the stroker is just way to tempting particularly as I already have a 28oz. billet ally FW and Quicktime SFI bell housing to bolt up to it (along with the TKO600).

Anyway, after some further trawling on the web I've decide to contact MCE Engines in the US and if that works out to costly I'll probably do the Roush.  I'll let you know what they quote.

Btw Frank I checked out T&L and also went to their eBay link.  Did you see their feedback.....................?

Warmride

Offline Muzzy 66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:29 pm »
Hey warmride,have you been getting any prices yet..?

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

66 Muzzy Coupe

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:44 am »
Here I am wondering how Im gunna use 490 fw hp and you guys are talking 600+
I had a handfull I thought with 300 now 490 let alone 600.
I just had a call about the sister engine to mine putting down 384 rwhp yesterday! In an XY.
Get what suits you, If thats you in the pic you ought not have any trouble convincing a rev head to let you go for a spinn with big hp, its pretty awsum.
But I dont think big hp is the be all and end all.
The challenge is keeping it straight.
Cheers hev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 10:01:20 am »
Originally posted by HEVEN67
Here I am wondering how Im gunna use 490 fw hp and you guys are talking 600+
I had a handfull I thought with 300 now 490 let alone 600.
I just had a call about the sister engine to mine putting down 384 rwhp yesterday! In an XY.
Get what suits you, If thats you in the pic you ought not have any trouble convincing a rev head to let you go for a spinn with big hp, its pretty awsum.
But I dont think big hp is the be all and end all.
The challenge is keeping it straight.
Cheers hev

Is yours going again yet ?