Purple People Eater

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Purple People Eater  (Read 11223 times)

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:55:40 pm »
Hi,

We're trying to get our 1971 Mustang on the road. We brought it over with us from the UK but we've been told that to register it we either have to re-spray it back to an original colour (purple isn't one of the approved Ford colours for 1971) or change it to right hand drive.
My husband doesn't want to change it to RHD since the car is original.

Does anyone know a way around this?
Or does anyone know if any dealerships were doing purple back in 1971?

I'm putting this post on several forums to reach out to as many people as possible.

Thanks for any help,
Karen

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
Purple People Eater
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:02:45 pm »
Where do you live?
Rock on!

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:04:46 pm »
South East South Australia. Why?

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Purple People Eater
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:05:11 pm »
Kaz, its a bit hard to believe that you have to change its colour to register it, who told you that?

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
Purple People Eater
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:06:05 pm »
Just curious...cos I live in WA...and I've never hear od thiese types of restrictions....

In WA you can drive LHD cars no swaet....and you can drive in almost any colour!

Anyone from SA...???
Rock on!

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:09:10 pm »
Originally posted by Mac1
Kaz, its a bit hard to believe that you have to change its colour to register it, who told you that?

Transport SA and we've confirmed it with the local vintage and veteran club. I've even gone over the specifics of the registration myself again this afternoon before I started posting on forums.

Trust me we couldn't believe it either!

That's why I'm trying to find out if anyone knows of 1971 Mustangs being painted purple as an original colour.    

K

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
Purple People Eater
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:16:38 pm »
Ide speak to the President of the Mustang club in SA...sounds really strange!
Rock on!

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:23:38 pm »
Originally posted by JC074
Ide speak to the President of the Mustang club in SA...sounds really strange!

If the car had been registered in Australia before apparently there wouldn't be a problem with the colour.

But that's a good idea I will contact the President - my husband is a member even though we haven't got the car on the road yet!  

K.

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
Purple People Eater
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:27:56 pm »
good luck Kaz!

Keep us posted :)
Rock on!

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Purple People Eater
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:34:01 pm »
Kaz, yeah- speak to who ever from the club that does the club rego's in SA.  They can't be that backward there.

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 03:48:51 pm »
Originally posted by Mac1
Kaz, yeah- speak to who ever from the club that does the club rego's in SA.  They can't be that backward there.

Wanna bet? :_

We've spoken to the guy at the local vintage and veteran car club and he'd be the one doing the inspection and if Transport SA say it has to be an original colour....

I'll let you all know what happens....

K.

Offline blackbox

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 04:44:33 pm »
Now that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...;w

Hope it works out for you...

James.

Offline blackbox

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 04:47:11 pm »
Maybe...If you have a friend with a permanent address in another state...

Well you can work it out.

James.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Purple People Eater
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 05:48:39 pm »
In Vic they expect the car to be set up wih original bits, but colour?? Even Vicroads is not that bad.

;x

Offline Brent

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 06:39:11 pm »
I have just gone through, LO2, roadworthy & registration. There was nothing about original colour (Qld). I had several different explainations about registration, one chick told me I could'nt drive the car to the inspection, even though it was roadworthy & LO2, the next chick said it was OK. If this is correct go to another state then change the rego next year to SA. (This colour crap can't be true??????)
429,C6,MSD, Pertronix coil, Flowmaster, 59K, Griffin radiator, thermo fan, oil coolers. Twice USA magazine featured.

Offline 2+266

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 06:46:53 pm »
to quote the "left hand drive fact sheet"  The paintwork must be in good condition and be of a style that was available from the original manufacturer.The type of paint must reflect the era of the vehicle i.e. no metalflake or metallic paint unless it can be shown that it was available as a manufacturers option at the time of manufacture.     I have just passed my 66 fastback lhd and every aspect was checked,chrome rockers and aircleaner were questioned as well as GT trumpets but i had every piece of info on hand to proove my case,go in and see the inspector at the help desk at regency and ask him,always get his full name ,date and time as the inspector rolled his  eyes when i said the above mentioned items were options and your co-worker ok,d them at the help desk less than a month prior !!

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »
Unfortunately we can't prove that the colour was available back then which is why I've been on several forums asking if anyone knows of a purple paint that was put on Mustangs back then.

Transport SA have given us a sheet of available colours and purple isn't on there so we need some evidence to give us a case.  

We thought it just had to be in good condition (which it is) but didn't know about the original colour until we got it here.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Purple People Eater
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 11:30:17 am »
Here is a list of colours I found on a 1971 website :

Bright Red
Dark Ivy Green Metallic
Gold Glamour
Gold Metallic
Grabber Blue
Grabber Green Metallic
Grabber Lime
Grabber Yellow
Light Gold
Light Pewter Metal
Maroon Metallic
Medium Brown Metallic
Medium Green Metallic
Medium Yellow Gold
Pastel Blue
Raven Black
Silver Blue Metallic
Wimbledon White

you may be able to check if the maroon for example is anything remotely resembling a purple.

Good luck !
Frank.

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 11:58:00 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

We're in touch with the President of the South Australia branch and he's going to see if the car falls inside or outside of  the rules.
We've just sent him some pictures but there are cars in the club that are not the original colour so all hope is not lost yet.

Regards,
K.

Offline Brent

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 08:43:28 pm »
Try this site also its a dedicated 71/429 site but may accept your problem on the foum, re original paint. I remember also that when a customer special paint order was processed, it had a blank on the id plate, this may be an angle??
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/
429,C6,MSD, Pertronix coil, Flowmaster, 59K, Griffin radiator, thermo fan, oil coolers. Twice USA magazine featured.

Offline kaz101

• Pony
Purple People Eater
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 10:33:39 am »
Update:

In the end I rang Transport SA (who had told us that the car colour had to be original) and got through to the technical section to get a definitive answer. They asked me to send photos and I put some on our blog for them to see.  

The car colour has been accepted because it is a car colour of the era and it looks very similar to a Ford Capri that was in purple at the time.

Thanks for all the replies!  

Regards,
K

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Purple People Eater
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 04:20:05 pm »
Kaz, glad to hear that common sense has won through in the end.  I hope they get to read this link and change their ways.

Well done..

Offline Brent

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 08:05:31 pm »
Great result , for keeping pressure on the bar##ards.

Offline blackbox

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 07:10:24 am »
Thats just stress you dont need in your life!!!;}

Congrats and enjoy.

James.

Offline 2+266

• Worked
Purple People Eater
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 05:00:56 pm »
it's a long bow to draw but if it gets you through it's all good.Be sure that ball joints are all good and your brakes are good as they test them on the rollers! ask me how i know!!! pm me if you want a chat about the inspection,i am a member of MOCSA:(