RHD Conversion ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RHD Conversion ?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline ag71

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: ag
  • Car: 1966 hardtop
RHD Conversion ?
« on: February 02, 2024, 05:36:40 pm »
Hi guys just a query what would you be looking at cost wise for a quality RHD conversion on say a '66 model would around the $5,000 to $8,000 be realistic, if anyone has had one done recently what sort of price was it ?

Any recommendations in Sydney for this sort of work, Als my guess any others ?

Cheers AG.

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
Re: RHD Conversion ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 08:43:59 pm »
Hey AG,
I think $5,000 to $8,000 for a quality RHD is very optimistic. I would expect two to three times that, and Big Al is the right person in Sydney for that kind of job.
fred

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 09:07:17 am »
There is a lot of conversions about that have not been done fully, eg, swapping the wipers over, this is a tricky bit because it involves cutting out the cowel panel and subsequent panel and paint works, if you have A/C it will likely cost you even more, a lot of money to part with that may see resale more desired but not reflected in value,

Offline Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 67 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 12:55:19 pm »
But it's a lot easier to drive when jumping from one car to another.  Certainly love mine, don't love the cost of doing it thou.

Offline ag71

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 04:48:35 pm »
thanks $5k TO $8k was my initial guess and I understand quality work costs money, would it be madness to drop $70k on a nice fastback then another $10 to $12k on a conversion, will it kill the value in the long run ?

I know the argument of keeping it original and the like but I prefer RHD vehicles.

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 11:14:31 pm »
thanks $5k TO $8k was my initial guess and I understand quality work costs money, would it be madness to drop $70k on a nice fastback then another $10 to $12k on a conversion, will it kill the value in the long run ?

I know the argument of keeping it original and the like but I prefer RHD vehicles.

If you are going to spend $70k for a fastback, you should consider a proper quality conversion, and it will be $15k to $20k (unless you are knowledgeable and do most of the works yourself).
If you do a half job on the conversion you would expect a hit in the future value.

Honestly I recommend driving it as LHD for a period and then decide what to do. Chances are that you will like it, plus you won’t risk a drop in value.
fred

Offline ag71

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 04:33:38 pm »
wow 15k to 20k wasn't I expecting such high numbers, think I may not worry about it myself and maybe try and pickup one already done,

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 11:34:35 am »
$15K-$20K minimum. There is a LOAD of work that needs to be done and you would need to pay someone to do it unless you want to try your own hand - and if you haven't done a lot of them, don't bother.

Driving a LHD car is no issue, but if it's a deal breaker, then get one that's already been done well.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 07:30:39 pm »
I own both a RHD and LHD, would choose RHD every time but wouldn’t spend $20-$30k to get there.
does anyone remember laughter