Mustang ID

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Mustang ID  (Read 1950 times)

Online Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
Mustang ID
« on: November 25, 2023, 07:57:38 pm »
Hello Gents, got some Questions for the knowledgeable, looking at a pair of cars that may be available, a 64/5 and a 67,
Both cars may have been imported in to Aus during the 80’s Both have been converted to RH drive, one appears compete the other mid build,
Both are missing compliance plates, from drivers door, unless there is another location for them,
Can’t open the bonnet on the 64/5 so can only guess what it is
Paper trail for these cars is minimal at best, business that did conversion no longer exists, owner has passed away, could these cars ever be able to be registered,
Could be a major challenge to take these on.?
Interested on genuine thoughts..!!

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
Re: Mustang ID
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 04:25:45 pm »
Compliance plates on the doors are just data tags.
Can get a new made to be whatever you want.
https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-69-DATA-PLATE-SPECIFY-ALL-INFO-FOR-STAMPING-P640.aspx

Online Reborn67

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 07:04:45 am »
Interesting about the tags, didn’t think something like that would be ethically legal,
Obviously converted cars need engineering reports of some sort, could it be a case of taking the car to a third party to get them to sign off, surely this scenario has happened before?
Will try and source import approval doc’s soon,
Reborn..,

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 03:40:44 pm »
Hey reborn,

To find the VIN plate on a 1964-67 Mustang, you'll need to open the hood. It's located next to the driver side fender. (1968 the VIN was relocated on the passenger side dash at the base of the windshield, 69 on the VIN was on the drivers side dash)

Compliance plates are a different thing, only showing the car build on the drivers door, and can be reprinted.
The VIN identification is the critical component.

If they’ve had an inner fender replaced and VIN not restamped they may not be registered anywhere? Legally!

As far as the Right hand conversions you’ll need to get an Automotive Engineer report! Can get into thousands???
And then in the 80’s without the Asbestos inspection pass implemented you will need to deal with that as well.

Not just a blue slip!

Helpful if you can get some Australian registration details!

If they are fastbacks IMO it would be worth a chance!
Either way you’ll need deep pockets!

Cheers Phil

« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 06:42:54 am by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 06:52:06 pm »

Hey reborn, if you do go ahead you’ll need proof of purchase and VIN numbers.

Message to Vehicle Safety Standards Service Team by e-mail at vimports@infrastructure.gov.au

Copy of my return Transcript.

Subject: Vehicle Import Approval

I refer to your email of xxx requesting a copy of the Import Approval issued for a xxx with VIN/Chassis No. xxx

The Privacy Act 1988 requires the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities (the department) to handle, use and manage personal information in a certain way. As a result, the department cannot release a copy of the import approval to you as you were not the original importer of this vehicle.

I can confirm that Import Approval Decision for a xxx with VIN/Chassis No. xxx under the Pre 1989 import option.

This letter constitutes a copy of the relevant details of the Vehicle Import Approval. It may assist you with registering your vehicle at your Registration Authority.

If you have any queries, please contact the department's Vehicle Safety Standards Service Team by e-mail at vimports@infrastructure.gov.au or by telephone on 1800 815 272.

For Administrator of Vehicle Standards Vehicle Safety Standards March 2021

GPO Box 594 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia Telephone: 1800 815 272

Facsimile: 02 6274 6013

Offline GGT66

• Stallion
  • MOCA VIC Member since 2012
  • Name: George
  • Car: 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 10:55:05 pm »
Marti will not make a door tag for 65-66 unless you can show them your original door tag or a build sheet. Reason being they dont have records for these models. If you could get one, you could change the cars DNA and turn it into whatever you want. Records exist for 67, as long as you have a VIN No, you can get a tag made by Marti
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 12:49:50 pm by GGT66 »

Online Reborn67

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 07:48:16 am »
There lies the dilemma, if l need a new door tag because the original is gone, but l have to have one to get another one..,,

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 11:09:04 am »
You mentioned you have the paper trail of cars, this is a great starting point as there cars VIN should be included within import approvals.

In regards to compliance plates, this dependent on which state the cars RHD conversion was done as different states have varying requirements.  In Victoria for example my RHD conversion was done in the late 90s/2000s and doesn't have compliance plate but engineers certificate once the work was is required to be included within registration of the car.

Therefore, which state & business completed the conversion as others may known the car/s

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Online Reborn67

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 11:28:56 am »
As l mentioned the paper trail is minimal at best,
My starting point is chasing import verification from Canberra, l cannot rely on anything else,
Cars were brought in and stayed in NSW, and have not seen the light of day in over 20 years

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 04:32:18 pm »
Hey,
Have you opened the bonnets yet to get the VIN numbers!
Are they Fastbacks!
I’d be interested in the 64-65 if it’s a Fastback!
Cheers Phil.

Offline Rap66

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Rapi
  • Car: 66 mustang
Re: disc brake conversion
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 10:51:29 pm »
Hi I was reading your comment on my situation Rap66. You mentioned you used the kelsey Hayes
Kit from Russel at JUSTMUSTANG . I went on there web site, and by the looks of the kit was missing the proportions if valve. Just wandering if you used one.

Kind regards Rap66

Online Reborn67

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 08:25:35 am »
Not quite sure this was the right thread for topic, wasn’t it the “ new member” heading,
Anyway an update on this thread, I managed to get the bonnets open to reveal the VIN numbers and I have received import verification from Canberra, so the cars are legit, have since found out the conversions were done using XF falcon steering and brake components, still yet to find out how thorough the work done was, very sceptical..,,
Any one else had conversions done with these parts.? I had heard of XY & W as these would be the same era.,
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:27:20 am by Reborn67 »

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 01:06:35 pm »
I do know the frame has to be notched to accept a xf box.
Expect you would need a engineer report that as well.
does anyone remember laughter